By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which handheld has the best upcoming games?

Which handheld has the best upcoming line-up?

3DS 267 74.17%

Vita 93 25.83%

Total:360

Not enough objective thread, you "forget" many vita games like Digimon Cyber Sleuth( released in japan yes, just like dire emblem ), Ray Gigant, Saga,Tokyo Xanadu, danganronpa an other episodd, corpse party, thé horror game from nippon ichi and many others

This thread is a joke and should be made by someone more objective and willing to make a true comparison on good faith

Im surprised thé moderation let it be while its obviously a thread made on bad faith to Down play one console 

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network
Aerys said:

Not enough objective thread, you "forget" many vita games like Digimon Cyber Sleuth( released in japan yes, just like dire emblem ), Ray Gigant,Tokyo Xanadu, thé horror game from nippon ichi and many others

This thread is a joke and should be made by someone more objective and willing to make a true comparison on good faith

You remind me of Calimero: "They are big and I is [sic] small and that is not fair, oh no!"

Funny how you complain about the Vita games I missed yet you don't say a word about the 3DS games I left out. Who is really biased here? Not me.

All that energy you guys put into complaining could be put into better use, but I guess asking Vita fans to write about why they're excited for their upcoming games is too much to ask.

- User was moderated for this post - Tachikoma

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
MikeRox said:

How can anyone tell you "why" upcoming games are good? They could be utter crap when they release. That even applies to huge titles like Monster Hunter Stories.

That is easy to answer. You look at trailers/footage of the game to get a first impression. Then you research the game: who made it? Does it belong to an existing franchise? And if so, how good (or bad) were those previous games? I've rarely been disappointed in a game I had been hyped about. I can only think of Rome Total War II. Another thing to keep in mind is the popularity of the series. I know good sales don't necessarily translate to good quality, but if a game is really bad sales will usually be affected. Just look at the sales of Sonic Boom on Wii U and 3DS for example. Of course there are good games out there that don't sell well like Okami, The Wonderful 101, etc.

I'm really looking forward to a lot of upcoming Vita games, however I have no idea how good they are, as many of them have never made it West previously. Virtue's Last Reward is a perfect example of this. In mid 2012 in Europe, it was just an upcoming game. But the original had never been released in Europe so Europeans couldn't say "OMG amazing upcoming game because" for the most part.

That is a flaw in the library of the Vita then. Why aren't there any established and popular franchises on the system?

I'm quite ignorant towards upcoming 3DS games. I know of a handful like Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime MonHun etc. But that is it.

Vita on the otherhand, neogaf thread with hundreds of upcoming titles. I'm not aware of 3DS having anywhere near the quality or quantity on the horizon.

Quantity doesn't really matter, quality does. If I thought quality didn't matter I would have added more 3DS games like that horrible Metroid Prime game you mentioned. And yes, I can already tell that the game is going to be bad.

However as I say, I'm quite ignorant, because I've not seen anyone put together a comprehensive list of confirmed future 3DS releases, but I go on retail sites and in the West there are like 10 games due for release on the thing. The Vita has similar if you look on retailers though.

The problem I personally have is that I never heard about any of those Vita games. A succesful console needs popular and established franchises along with new IPs to truly shine. Vita lacks the first so it seems (at least that's what I understand from your post). That's not to say those new IPs aren't good, but you can't deny the benefit of popular and established franchises either.

Well, this year Vita has had Digimon, Dragon Quest and will be getting a non remake Final Fantasy title on top having had it's first exclusive Danganronpa (that wasn't a PSP remake), exclusive Persona title along with a new Ys game, Resident Evil, Digimon World which are all established franchises. So it's starting to finally get the IPs. Why weren't they previously on Vita? Well Nintendo bought Monster Hunter, which was pretty much the PSP's biggest game.

The developer of the incredible DJ MAXX also has their next game exclusively launching on Vita soon (Superbeat Xonic), Sword Art Online: Lost Song, Corpse Party, Never Alone, Super Meat Boy, Earth Defense Force, WRC5, Denkegi Bunko: Fighting Climax, Hatoful Boyfriend, Super Time Force Ultra, and so many many interesting looking games.

I don't know if most of them are any good because I've never played them. However I disagree with your methodology for deciding if a game is good or not before launch. Great developers make crap games. Most major franchises have crap iterations, especially spin offs which dominate the handheld lineups. I just like to view each game as it's own separate entity. 

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969122

To me this is a "nuff said" with regards to which system has the best upcoming lineup. However as I say, I'm pretty ignorant towards the 3DS lineup beyond the big name games. So if you can find me an equivalent lineup for 3DS, I'd be happy to reconsider.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:

I don't know if most of them are any good because I've never played them. However I disagree with your methodology for deciding if a game is good or not before launch. Great developers make crap games. Most major franchises have crap iterations, especially spin offs which dominate the handheld lineups. I just like to view each game as it's own separate entity. 

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969122

To me this is a "nuff said" with regards to which system has the best upcoming lineup. However as I say, I'm pretty ignorant towards the 3DS lineup beyond the big name games. So if you can find me an equivalent lineup for 3DS, I'd be happy to reconsider.

Most spin-offs aren't made by the same studios as the mainline games, certainly not in the case of Nintendo. I'm not going to take the quality of Mario Party into account when I'm watching a trailer of the upcoming 3D Mario platformer.

You show me a thread about upcoming Vita games, but you can't explain me why I should care about these games. How is that enough said which system has the best upcoming line-up? It seems to me that people are more excited about the 3DS line-up, which is why it sells more.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Aerys said:

Not enough objective thread, you "forget" many vita games like Digimon Cyber Sleuth( released in japan yes, just like dire emblem ), Ray Gigant, Saga,Tokyo Xanadu, danganronpa an other episodd, corpse party, thé horror game from nippon ichi and many others

Im surprised thé moderation let it be while its obviously a thread made on bad faith to Down play one console 

Wow, why do some Vita fans react so hostile on this thread?

Bolded: isn't it againt the rules to call users trolls? Because that's what he's implying. And calling a thread a joke when the OP put a lot of work into (one) part of the thread? No wonder I rarely post on this forum, such a hostile environment.

Around the Network

DanganRonpa: Another Episode

The third DanganRonpa game to hit the Vita, after the succesful DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc and DanganRonpa 2: Goodbye Despair. This game takes a new approach in the series: horror-based third person shooting, rather than Visual Novel sections. You can chose between the Komaru Naegi or Genocide Jill.  Jill is a timed-used character, so she can be considered the "easy" version. Komaru shoots "truth" bullets from her megaphone, in an amusing twist on the formula of the first game, and can make the game more difficult. This is the first game in the series to introduce new gameplay mechanics and it also includes a lot of sexualized content (fanservice if you will). My only complaint about this game is that it hasn't released yet. Can't wait for a next-gen DanganRonpa game...

Hype meter: 10/10

Atelier Escha & Logy Plus

The fifth Atelier game to hit the Vita, after the somewhat disappointing Atelier Ayesha. Why do I say disappointing? Well, Ayesha was the first game in a new sub-series and as such spent much of its time world-building and didn't spend long enough on characterization. At its core it was still a decent game however. In the newest Atelier title two worlds collide, namely the worlds of Escha the alchemist and Logix the adventurer. This provides a dual-perspective story for the first time in a number of years for the series. I just hope this game fixes the problem Ayesha had with tutorials.

KanColle Kai

Kantai Collection released in 2013 in Japan and quickly became a phenomenon because of compelling premise and cross-media promotion (anime etc.). What exactly are the girls in  KanColle you ask? They're neither girls nor battleships, they're both! The franchise battles this ship girls against each other in intense turn-based battles. Japan will already be getting KanColle Kai in 2015, but cross your fingers and toes for NISA picking up this one in the USA in 2016 thanks to a friendly relationship with Kadokawa Games!

Dragon Quest Heroes 2

One of the biggest third party games in Japan is coming to the Vita next year! The first Dragon Quest title is being localized for PS4 this year. There's no doubt that this game will be localized as well. Dragon Quest Heroes is an action rpg where you fight giant monsters to for fun because games are about fun. You can go to other levels to fight other giant monsters. This is the only way you'll have more fun. Dragon Quest Heroes also has a heavy emphasis musou-style massive battles.

Dragon Quest Builders

What? Another Dragon Quest game? Yep! This spin-off game makes great use of Minecraft-style cubes to deliver some truly terrible graphics for Vita. I'm actually more excited for this game than the mainline Dragon Quest games. I'm not sure what exactly this game is about, but I think this game will focus more on a building because of the word "Builders" in the title. It has already been confirmed to be an RPG though.  Hopefully this game gets localized as well, although I think the chances of this happening are lower than Dragon Quest Heroes 2. Square Enix would be dumb not to bring it over to the West though!

Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space

A lot of people seem to think Earth Defense Force 2 on the Vita will be a mere port or even worse a "demake". Don't be fooled by the ignorance of these people though. EDF2 on the Vita will include new missions, a new class (see picture), improved graphics, co-op across all missions, 4 player online support and over 400 weapons. This will definitely be the definitive version of EDF2.  And the game is confirmed as coming west later this year!

Sword Art Online: Lost Song

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment, the second game in this franchise, was not a new IP created by Bandai Namco for the Vita. It managed to sell over 400,000 copies and surprised Bandai Namco. Yes Bamco, Sony owners like(d) your games, too bad you treat them like crap most of the time. Sword Art Online is a lot like the older .hack games. It has a unique combat system, inspired by MMO's involving using up a "burst gauge" to attack, then using special attacks in between.  The game also had a very anime artstyle. There was one major flaw though: the base game from the PSP (Infinity Moment) is included and is based on very dull floor clearing in samey dungeons. It still far outstayed its welcome however, it was some of the worst padding I've ever seen. Let's hope the sequel improves on this one big flaw!

World of Final Fantasy

This game came as quite a surprise at E3, I don't think anyone expected a chibi monster-collecting Final Fantasy. Yet here it is. This game revolves around monster collecting. The central gimmick of this game will be the "Tower stacking" mechanic where the Monsters will climb on top of each other, this will be used within battles. It has cross play with the PS4 version. My major complaint about this game is the fact that it uses chibi models when the realistic models are so much better. I'd have rather seen a true Final Fantasy game on the Vita, but at least this game takes some risks with the franchise

Hype meter: 100/10

There you go. Now stop bickering.

(And just FYI, that isn't how I'd make an actual list of upcoming games I am excited for on Vita. My list would include things like Corpse Party Blood Drive; Drifter; Drift Stage; Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel & Tokyo Xanadu, but I couldn't make them fit anywhere. Boo!)

Alkibiádēs said:

Most spin-offs aren't made by the same studios as the mainline games, certainly not in the case of Nintendo. I'm not going to take the quality of Mario Party into account when I'm watching a trailer of the upcoming 3D Mario platformer.

You show me a thread about upcoming Vita games, but you can't explain me why I should care about these games. How is that enough said which system has the best upcoming line-up? It seems to me that people are more excited about the 3DS line-up, which is why it sells more.

Here, I'll just re post my list with a desciption of the games.

They both have pretty good line ups but a few of the 3DS games you listed may not even come out in  the west. Where as Vita on the other hand has these great games confirmed coming to the west:

Steins;Gate - August 31st

For the first time in the west, PQube's Steins;Gate is seeing it's anticipated release. Deemed by fans and reviewers as one of if not THE best visual novels in recent memory Steins;Gate has been on most Vita fans radar since the Japanese Vita release. The game using time travel mechanics to help the protagonist change the course of time and, depending on the ending you get, lead you on an emotional journey that will leave you in tears.

Hyper Meter - 8/10

DanganRonpa: Another Episode - September 1st

With the third game in the series, DanganRonpa: Another Episode takes a detour of the visual novel/adventure style of the first two games and decides to throw you into thrilling action/third person shooter game. While considered a spin-off, Another Episode is set in between the first and second DanganRonpa games. Thus it is considered canon and compared to most other action games Another Episode still has a very interesting and sometimes, despair inducing story that some say is the most gruesome in the series so far. For fans of the series, this just might be Vita's GOTY.

Hype Meter - 11/10

Persona 4 Dancing All Night - September 29th

Similar to DanganRonpa: Another Episode, Persona 4 Dancing all Night takes our favorite investigation team on a little detour from the JRPG world to a groovy hip-happening rhythm game. One of the greatest parts of any Persona game is the soundtrack and P4DAN seems to be a love letter to fans of Persona 4's soundtack.  Not only do we get to see our favorite characters in new beautiful 3D models on a qHD screen but we also are treated to awesome remixes of our favorite songs in P4. While the game is canon and has a surprisingly large story the star of the show is going to be that graphics and music.

Hype Meter - 9/10

Corpse Party: Blood Drive - October 13th

Corpse Party: Blood Drive is to my knowledge the first time in series history that a game is seeing a physical release in the west. A cult classic in horror game fan circles Corpse Party: Blood Drive take players on another cute but guesome adventure that is sure to make the weak stomached squeemish (I.E. me). While I personally have never played a game in this series I only ever hear good things a bout it and will be making the plunge starting with this game.

Hype Meter - 7.5/10

Legend of Heroes: Trials of Cold Steel - November 17th

After 4 years of waiting the west is FINALLY getting a new Legend of Heroes game and it just happens to be a Vita game. Trials of Cold Steel is a story heavy JRPG made by the God -tier developer Falcom. With a kickass soundtrack and engaging battle system Trials of Cold Steel is set to be on of Vita's greatest games on the system. With hours and hours and hours of content I for one am VERY excited for this game.

Hyper Meter - 10/10

Sword Art Online: Lost Song - TBA 2015

With the success of Hallowed Fragment in the west the next Sword Art Online game, Lost Song is heading to Vita's later this year. Now with a shiny retail box fans of the SAO universe are thrown back into Kirito's (or any other SAO characters!) shoes to take on yet another video game universe called Alfheim Online. With fast combat and new flight mechanics this console MMO-esque game will have Vita owners sinking hours into leveling up their characters, getting new skills, and making powerful weapons. Lets just hope the translation is better this time!

Hype Meter - 8.5/10

Digimon Cyber Sleuth - TBA 2016

After a successful petition to get a new Digimon game in the west Bamco delivers and decides to release the much sought after Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! One of he cool things about this game is that it was made with an older audience in mind so story and mechanics aren't limited to something a 5 year old can understand. Collect you favorite digital monsters, traverse through digital worlds, and build the most powerful digital team possible in this kickass JRPG adventure. Also one thing to note is that the composer for the DanganRonpa games is also the composer for this game so the OST is bound to be excellent.

Hyper Meter - 10/10

Legend of Heroes: Trials of Cold Steel 2 - TBA 2016

Not too much to say about this one considering it is a direct sequal. If you like the first game then odds are you will like this one. 

Hype Meter - TBA/10

World of Final Fantasy - TBA 2016

Now not too much is known about this Final Fantasy Spin off but from the E3 trailer and a few interviews the game seems to be a monster collecting game similar to Pokemon or Digimon. This immediately has me hyped considering Pokemon is one of my favorite franchises. Heres hoping that at TGS we see some gameplay.

Hype Meter - 7/10 (so far)

Plus all the other smaller titles like Lost Dimension, Dungeon Travelers 2, EDF 2, Senran Kagura, etc. Now if I add unconfirmed Japanese games the list would be even longer.

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

HollyGamer said:
U mention which one is the best while mentioning 3DS games only, OP has to much bias, OP could just look at gaming news site or pic a picture from Internet.

Well, he did said that he doesn't have the PsVita. So he wont have any hype for any of the games coming, or have knowledge of it. But luckily, we have pSVita owners who put their list on this thread. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Kresnik said:

snip

Welp looks like I wasted my time lol

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)