By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which handheld has the best upcoming games?

Which handheld has the best upcoming line-up?

3DS 267 74.17%

Vita 93 25.83%

Total:360

Ok, so I was recently looking at the upcoming games for the 3DS and I was impressed by how good it was this late in its life cycle. I'll do an overview of the 3DS line-up in this thread. If a Vita fan can do the same for the Vita then that would be great. I'd do it myself, but I don't own a Vita and I don't have enough knowledge of the upcoming games. I heard the Vita gets a lot of third party support in Japan despite its abyssmal sales, so this should still be an interesting discussion.

Fire Emblem: Fates

The second Fire Emblem game to hit the 3DS, after the succesful Fire Emblem: Awakening. This game takes a new approach in the series: there isn't one, but two main versions. You can chose between the Nohr kingdom or the Hoshido kingdom. Hoshido is very similar to Awakening, so it can be considered the "easy" version. Nohr resembles the more traditional Fire Emblem games with a more complex story and harder gameplay. If you buy one version you can later buy the other version at a reduced price on the e-shop. There will also be a third campaign added as DLC in the future. This is the first game in the series to introduce same-sex marriage and it also includes a lot of sexualized content (fanservice if you will). My only complaint about this game are the bad graphics. Can't wait for a next-gen Fire Emblem game...

Hype meter: 9/10.

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam

The second Mario & Luigi game to hit the 3DS, after the somewhat controversial Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. Why do I say controversial? Well, Dream Team was filled to the brim with tutorials and the game dragged on for a long time. In other words: it overstayed its welcome. Ar its core it was still a decent game however. In the newest Mario & Luigi title two worlds collide, namely the worlds of Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario. This could provide a lot of new gameplay elements and humor to the Mario & Luigi series. I just hope this game fixes the problem Dream Team had with tutorials.

Yo-kai Watch

Yo-kai Watch released in 2013 in Japan and quickly became a phenomenon because of cross-media exposure (anime, toyline, game, etc.). What exactly are Yo-kai you ask? They're neither ghosts nor spirts, they're simply Yo-kai. The Yo-kai can cause a lot of problems by simply being in the vicinity of humans and they're only visible to the naked eye with a Yo-kai Watch, hence the name of the franchise. The main character of this series battles and befriends Yo-kai to solve problems in his hometown. Japan will already be getting Yo-kai Watch 3 in 2016 while the first game in the franchise will be brought to North-America this holiday season. I'm looking forward to playing this Pokémon inspired game.

Monster Hunter X

One of the biggest third party games in Japan is coming to the 3DS next year! Monster Hunter has been thriving on the 3DS and is becoming more popular in the West. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate became the fastest selling Monster Hunter game in the West this year. There's no doubt that this game will be localized as well. Monster Hunter is an action rpg where you fight monsters to collect special resources. You can use these resources to upgrade your gear and weapons. This is the only way you'll become more powerful into this game as there is no level-up system. Monster Hunter also has a heavy emphasis on online co-op.

Hype meter: 8.5/10.

Monster Hunter Stories

What? Another Monster Hunter game? Yep! This spin-off game makes great use of cel-shading to deliver some truly impressive graphics for the 3DS. I'm actually more excited for this game than the mainline Monster Hunter games. I'm not sure what exactly this game is about, but I think this game will focus more on a single-player adventure because of the word "Stories" in the title. It has already been confirmed to be an RPG though. You can also ride on a little Rathalos, how cool is that?! Hopefully this game gets localized as well, although I think the chances of this happening are lower than Monster Hunter X. Capcom would be dumb not to bring it over to the West though!

Dragon Quest VII & Dragon Quest VIII

A lot of people seem to think Dragon Quest VIII on the 3DS will be a mere port or even worse a "demake". Don't be fooled by the ignorance of these people though. Dragon Quest VIII on the 3DS will include new dungeons, new bosses (see picture), new party characters, improved controls, voiced cutscenes, new story scenarios and Streetpass functionality. This will definitely be the definitive version of Dragon Quest VIII. And these two games are apparently coming over to the West!

Bravely Second: End Layer

Bravely Default, the first game in this franchise, was a new IP created by Square Enix for the 3DS. It managed to sell over one million copies and surprised Square Enix. Yes Square, Nintendo owners like(d) your games, too bad you treat them like crap most of the time. Bravely Default is a lot like the older and more traditional Final Fantasy games. It has a unique combat system, at the beginning of the turn you can chose to either "Default" (i.e. defend) or "Brave" (attack). If you chose default you will receive less damage when you get hit and you'll gain one "Brave" point. You can store up to 4 brave points at once.  What do these brave points do exactly? It's simple, they allow you to perform extra attacks! Beware though, you can also go into the red with your brave points. And if one of your party members is in the red he or she is a sitting duck for any enemies until she's back in the green. The game also had a very beatiful artstyle that made use of drawings and 3D polygon models. There was one major flaw though: chapters 5-8 have you replay the entire game over and over again but on a much faster pace. It still far outstayed its welcome however, it was some of the worst padding I've ever seen. Let's hope the sequel improves on this one big flaw!

Hype meter: 8/10.

The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes

This game came as quite a surprise at E3, I don't think anyone expected a succesor to Four Sword's Adventure on the 3DS. Yet here it is. This game revolves around co-op play with two other players. The central gimmick of this game will be the "Totem Pole" mechanic where the Links will climb on top of each other, this will be used to solve puzzles and defeat bosses. It has online play as well as local multiplayer. You'll also be able to play the game by yourself: the two other players will be replaced by puppet Links in this mode. My major complaint about this game is the fact that it re-uses many of the assets from A Link Between Worlds, but it somehow manages to look quite a bit worse than that game. It also won't have voice chat which will make online play very frustrating. I'd have rather seen a true Zelda game on the 3DS, but at least this game stays somewhat true to the franchise.

My hype meter: 6/10.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

What?! They made a sequel to Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice? Yep. And you included it in your list? Again, yep. I know what you're all thinking, but I thought the trailer looked promising. Sanzura Games will be developing this and it appears they have learned from their mistakes in the first game: Sega Producer Omar Woodley has stated both Sega and developer Sanzaru Games have been learning from their experience with Shattered Crystal, which received mostly negative reviews upon release. One of the problems they identified was how, even though the game was targeted towards children aged 7-11, fans of the classic Sonic games picked up the game and a harder time getting into Shattered Crystal's lengthy exploration-based levels. As such, levels have been made shorter and include paths to better suit gamers who prefer speeding through levels, in addition to explorational elements. Still not convinced? Click here for footage from a demo level.

Hype meter: 7/10.

Hyrule Warriors Legends

On June 10, 2015, a leaked trailer revealed a port for Hyrule Warriors on the 3DS, titled Hyrule Warriors Legends. The game was officially anounced six days later during Nintendo's Digital Event at E3. The port includes all previously-released DLC, features the ability to switch characters on the fly, and adds a new story chapter featuring characters from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker that serves as an epilogue. Tetra and King Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule (King of Red Lions), both from The Wind Waker, will be added as new playable characters, with others to be announced leading up to the game's launch. The new characters can also  be transferred to the Wii U version.

Hype meter: 6/10.

Written by Skullwaker:

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer

The second Animal Crossing title to hit the 3DS, this one is focused on designing homes for the villagers. As you progress in the game, you can unlock new furniture that you can use in your projects or even decorate restaurants, schools, libraries, laboratories and more! Additionally, this game will be the first to support amiibo cards, with which you can directly insert any villager you desire and remodel their home. The game also features a hub world similar to Animal Crossing: City Folk for the Wii, and you can choose the season of the town. Unlike the mainline games, bells do not need to be spent on furniture or anything, so the only limit in the game is your imagination (and the floor space)! The game is set to launch in September/October in the west.

Hype: 8/10

Project X Zone 2

The second title in the series for 3DS, Project X Zone 2 is an RPG crossover between Sega, Capcom and Bandai Namco. New characters that will be playable in the game include Ryu and Ken from Street Fighter, Phoenix Wright and Maya from Ace Attorney and Axel Stone from Streets of Rage, with characters such as Mega Man and Chris Redfield returning from the previous game. This new entry will address criticisms of the original, such as the story, and will launch in early 2016 in the west.

The Legend of Legacy

A new IP from developer Furyu, The Legend of Legacy is a spiritual successor to the Saga series, and plays like a JRPG. However, it will allow the player to freely progress through the game without anything directing them in a straight line. The player is able to choose from seven playable characters in the game, each with their own special abilities and personalities. Atlus will be publishing the game in the west later this year.

Hype: 9/10

Rhythm Heaven: The Best+

The first in the Rhythm Heaven series to be on the 3DS, The Best+ features over 100 levels. For the first time in the series, the game has an overarching plot, in which the player helps the main character return home after falling from the sky by completing minigames across a map. Additional modes include Challenge Land, Perfect Campaign, Challenge Train and more! Although the game hasn't been confirmed for the west just yet, it's part of a franchise that has always localized since the entry on the DS and it's developed/published by Nintendo themselves, so the probablity of it going overseas is very high!

The Great Ace Attorney

The newest entry in the Ace Attorney series, TGAA is a prequel featuring the characters Sherlock Holmes and Watson. The game features the classic courtroom style of previous games with new twists such as Joint Reasoning, which allows the player to view witnesses from different angles to deduce contradictions in their testimonies. Furthermore, trials in this game will feature a jury, not just one judge, so majority will rule as it did in one of the cases in the original game. Localization has not been announced by Capcom, but considering all but one of the Ace Attorney titles have made it over, it's likely this will also (even if it's just a digital release).

Hype: 10/10

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon is the follow-up to Gates to Infinity, which also released on the 3DS. However, SMD looks to improve upon that game with changes such as more playable Pokemon, relationship building, more dungeons and a better story. The game launches this holiday in the west!

Etrian Odyssey V

Details on EOV are few and far between, having only been announced by Atlus somewhat recently. The game will feature the same dungeon-crawling gameplay of previous titles, and Shigeo Komori, the director of II and III, will return to direct this game. As others in the series, this game will more than likely be localized. More information is on the horizon!

Style Savvy 3

Style Savvy 3, known as Girls Mode 3 in Japan, is a fashion simulator which allows you to design outfits and manage your own clothing store. The game also features accessories and clothing from a variety of Nintendo franchises, including Kirby, Splatoon and Mario, and allows for amiibo support. Localization has not been announced, but like the previous installments and considering it's developed/published by Nintendo, an announcement is surely underway.

Hype: 10/10

Stella Glow

The last game to be developed by Imageepoch, Stella Glow is an SRPG in the same vein of Luminous Arc for the DS, and features chibi-styled characters. The theme of the game appears to be magic vs sword, with different classes falling according to that. It will be published by Atlus in the west later this year.

--

If you think I forgot any important games, let me know and I'll be sure to add them if I think they deserve to be on the list. And like I said in the beginning of the thread, I'd like Vita fans to make a similar list, you don't have to go as in-depth as me though (unless you want to of course).

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network

After all the rude comments by Vita fans I almost decided to let this thread die, but out of respect for BlowoverKing I will keep it alive. Thank you for being the only Vita fan to be willing to write something original about why you're looking forward to the upcoming Vita line-up. I asked it politely, but besides you, everyone insulted me. Great community you guys have here.

Written by BlowoverKing:

Here, I'll just re post my list with a desciption of the games.

They both have pretty good line ups but a few of the 3DS games you listed may not even come out in  the west. Where as Vita on the other hand has these great games confirmed coming to the west:

Steins;Gate - August 31st

For the first time in the west, PQube's Steins;Gate is seeing it's anticipated release. Deemed by fans and reviewers as one of if not THE best visual novels in recent memory Steins;Gate has been on most Vita fans radar since the Japanese Vita release. The game using time travel mechanics to help the protagonist change the course of time and, depending on the ending you get, lead you on an emotional journey that will leave you in tears.

Hyper Meter - 8/10

DanganRonpa: Another Episode - September 1st

With the third game in the series, DanganRonpa: Another Episode takes a detour of the visual novel/adventure style of the first two games and decides to throw you into thrilling action/third person shooter game. While considered a spin-off, Another Episode is set in between the first and second DanganRonpa games. Thus it is considered canon and compared to most other action games Another Episode still has a very interesting and sometimes, despair inducing story that some say is the most gruesome in the series so far. For fans of the series, this just might be Vita's GOTY.

Hype Meter - 11/10

Persona 4 Dancing All Night - September 29th

Similar to DanganRonpa: Another Episode, Persona 4 Dancing all Night takes our favorite investigation team on a little detour from the JRPG world to a groovy hip-happening rhythm game. One of the greatest parts of any Persona game is the soundtrack and P4DAN seems to be a love letter to fans of Persona 4's soundtack.  Not only do we get to see our favorite characters in new beautiful 3D models on a qHD screen but we also are treated to awesome remixes of our favorite songs in P4. While the game is canon and has a surprisingly large story the star of the show is going to be that graphics and music.

Hype Meter - 9/10

Corpse Party: Blood Drive - October 13th

Corpse Party: Blood Drive is to my knowledge the first time in series history that a game is seeing a physical release in the west. A cult classic in horror game fan circles Corpse Party: Blood Drive take players on another cute but guesome adventure that is sure to make the weak stomached squeemish (I.E. me). While I personally have never played a game in this series I only ever hear good things a bout it and will be making the plunge starting with this game.

Hype Meter - 7.5/10

Legend of Heroes: Trials of Cold Steel - November 17th

After 4 years of waiting the west is FINALLY getting a new Legend of Heroes game and it just happens to be a Vita game. Trials of Cold Steel is a story heavy JRPG made by the God -tier developer Falcom. With a kickass soundtrack and engaging battle system Trials of Cold Steel is set to be on of Vita's greatest games on the system. With hours and hours and hours of content I for one am VERY excited for this game.

Hyper Meter - 10/10

Sword Art Online: Lost Song - TBA 2015

With the success of Hallowed Fragment in the west the next Sword Art Online game, Lost Song is heading to Vita's later this year. Now with a shiny retail box fans of the SAO universe are thrown back into Kirito's (or any other SAO characters!) shoes to take on yet another video game universe called Alfheim Online. With fast combat and new flight mechanics this console MMO-esque game will have Vita owners sinking hours into leveling up their characters, getting new skills, and making powerful weapons. Lets just hope the translation is better this time!

Hype Meter - 8.5/10

Digimon Cyber Sleuth - TBA 2016

After a successful petition to get a new Digimon game in the west Bamco delivers and decides to release the much sought after Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth! One of he cool things about this game is that it was made with an older audience in mind so story and mechanics aren't limited to something a 5 year old can understand. Collect you favorite digital monsters, traverse through digital worlds, and build the most powerful digital team possible in this kickass JRPG adventure. Also one thing to note is that the composer for the DanganRonpa games is also the composer for this game so the OST is bound to be excellent.

Hyper Meter - 10/10

Legend of Heroes: Trials of Cold Steel 2 - TBA 2016

Not too much to say about this one considering it is a direct sequal. If you like the first game then odds are you will like this one. 

Hype Meter - TBA/10

World of Final Fantasy - TBA 2016

Now not too much is known about this Final Fantasy Spin off but from the E3 trailer and a few interviews the game seems to be a monster collecting game similar to Pokemon or Digimon. This immediately has me hyped considering Pokemon is one of my favorite franchises. Heres hoping that at TGS we see some gameplay.

Hype Meter - 7/10 (so far)

Plus all the other smaller titles like Lost Dimension, Dungeon Travelers 2, EDF 2, Senran Kagura, etc. Now if I add unconfirmed Japanese games the list would be even longer.

Written by Mikerox:

Okay seeing as Kresnik et al's lists are too "niche Japanese gamey" for people. I thought I'd put together some of the games that I'm looking forward to that aren't in that genre.

Drifter

We just finally got close up photos of Pluto. PLUTO! the 9th planet in the Solar System. What's cooler than the 9th planet? All the other planets even further away! Well in Drifter you get to explore an open-world sandbox featuring a procedurally-generated galaxy 100,000 light years across made up of tens of thousands of star systems. You are the captain of a Spaceship attempting to ake a living by trading goods between star systems, hunting pirates for bounties or mining asteroids for valuable ore. If being legit sucks, you can always become a space pirate! It's Elite with far better graphics and capable of fitting in your pocket.

Hype Meter 11/10!

Superbeat: Xonic

PM Studios' latest rhythm action game looks set to pick up where the highly acclaimed DJ MAX left off. Rhythm games have made their home on the Vita, and Superbeat: Xonic could well be the greatest yet.  Offering over 50 unique tracks, multiple play modes and a completely new interface that makes use of the PS Vita’s touchscreen capabilities, SUPERBEAT: XONiC is a revolution in rhythm action gaming. High-speed intuitive gameplay mixes with a spectacular soundtrack featuring both popular songs from the BEATCRAFT series and all-new tunes, while local and worldwide leaderboards let you pit your talents against players around the globe. Jump in the laid-back beats of 4 TRAX mode, then ramp up the challenge and try to keep up with the frantic rhythm of 6 TRAX and 6 TRAX FX before experiencing endless gameplay with Freestyle mode.

Hype Meter 157 SUPER BEAT/10

Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty

For the first time ever, the highly acclaimed remake of the original Oddworld: Abe's Oddysey is available in portable form. Don't really need to say any more on this. Improved design, better graphics, better sound and fits in your pocket. Perfect fun for when you're taking a dump or on a plane/train.

Hype Meter 1995/10

WRC 5

Picking up where MileStone left off. WRC still has a home on Vita. The most asthetically impressive motorsport hits the most asthetically impressive handheld. Drive cars really really fast though the World's most stunning scenery with some bloke next to you pretending to be a GPS. It's not Gran Turimso 5, but it's as good as any dedicated portable gamer is likely to get now and if they don't f*ck it up like WRC3 and put something more like WRC4 out, it'll be a flipping awesome portable racer!

Hype Meter Easy Right/10

Volume

Not happy with bringing us the game that showed deep meaningful stories can be given to simplistic shapes. Mike Bithell is at it again showing us now that Metal Gear Solid isn't 2015's loudest stealth game in this modern retelling of Robin Hood. Though that game is the inspiration for this impressive looking game. It also features some famous like people such as Danny Wallace (Yes Man) and Andy Serkis (Lord of the Rings/Planet of the Apes) so it's clearly going to be incredimable! 100 Challenging levels await, but that's not all, the fun never ends with user created content. Volume will evolve, warp and grow as players make their mark on Locksley's legend.

Hype Meter: Undetected/10

Other cool looking Non Niche Japanese Pantsu Waifu shizzle to come:

Tales from the Borderlands

It's Borderlands, but with more story and pointing and clicking from those bosses at TellTale who are expert masters at making story based games with pointing and clicking.

Day of the Tentacle HD

Speaking of Pointing and Clicking. This beast is arguable the pointiest and clickiest of the lot! Perfect chance to enjoy this quirky classic again!

Super TIME Force Ultra

Your mission is to erase history's dumb mistakes and make the world a better place in Super T.I.M.E Force. AS part of an elite squad of time-traveling badasses --Temporal Inevitability Manipulation Experts, or T.I.M.E. -- you must jump through time and kill what never should have happened. Altering pre-existing events in space-time could have dire consequences (including possibly but not limited to pissing off god, total annihilation of all matter of existence, and accidentally dating your mother,) but the risks are worth it for the betterment of the future! Sounds like GOTY material right there!

That's a couple coming out over the next few months but there are many many others, it's just that they tend to get announced within weeks of launch if we're lucky.

I'd definitely add Zelda Tri Force Heroes, Etrian Odyssey V, Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer, Project X Zone 2, Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, Stella Glow and The Legend of Legacy to the 3DS side.

I'm very glad that both handhelds are getting so much support!

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer and Tri Force heroes are my most anticipated games this year.

Next year looks great for the 3DS as well.

Fire Emblem Fates got me hyped soo much! Specially after that FE:F hate thread that showed some of the epic lewd pics!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

My hype right now is with Senran Kagura 2, less than a month left.

twintail said:
Vita.

3rd party support is something else on that device.

6 of the 8 games on my list were also third party, which surprised me a little. And I'll add more games to it, but I need some sleep now!

3DS. It's actually getting better support than everything next year, except the PS4.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

I'm hyped for these 3DS games (in no particular order):

Senran Kagura Burst 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker
Etrian Odyssey II Remake
Etrian Odyssey V
Etrian Odyssey Mystery Dungeon
Fire Emblem: Fates
Stella Glow
The Legend of Legacy (hope it comes to Europe)
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
Dragon Quest VII
Dragon Quest VIII
Metroid Prime Federation Strike Squad Whatever (only if it has a good singleplaya)
Story of Season (haven't announced for Europe yet)
Bravely Second
Zero's Escape 3 (not an exclusive)

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

3DS for me...

Mirai, FE14, and TriForce Heroes mainly

and am interested in EOU2, Stella Glow and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread