By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony and the Digimon franchise.

SCE Japan Studio announces tomorrow that they have been working on a series of exclusive Vita games based on the Digimon universe. What will you do?

I will buy one when the n... 17 30.91%

I already own a Vita and ... 10 18.18%

I already own a Vita and ... 9 16.36%

Digimon is not big enough... 19 34.55%

Total:55

Digimon will never be as big as Pokemon sadly but at this point, I am tired of Pokemon and their refusal to break the mold at this point. I bought Pokemon X and i never got past the 4th gym, I got pokemon ruby and I honestly just got to level 10 and stopped.

I'm hoping Digimon will become my new handheld favorite game on my Vita so as long as their good, i'll keep supporting it.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network
Roronaa_chan said:
I wouldn't buy anything for either Digimon or Pokemon. Dunno why anyone likes that stuff

Probably the same reason you love underage anime school girls, everybody has preferences.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

FunFan said:
Digimon got nothing on Pokémon. It'll be another PlayStation AllStars case. Maybe instead of copying Nintendo, Sony should try something unique for once.

You're joking right?

BraLoD said:
FunFan said:
Digimon got nothing on Pokémon. It'll be another PlayStation AllStars case. Maybe instead of copying Nintendo, Sony should try something unique for once.

Hahaha, hilarious.

Sony has by far the biggest amount of unique games and it's always creating new ones, and it doesn't have anything to do with Digimon.

Pokemon >>>>> Digimon, though, don't think anyone will be opposing it.

If that was true then why does PS All-Stars Battle Royale have such a poor character roster?

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Nothing can touch the Pokemon franchise when it comes down to the handheld market.

Actually, Pokemon is arguably the actual reason why there is a portable consoles market to begin with.

This is not a Digimon vs Pokemon situation. This is about unutilized potential and how much can both parties -Digimon and Sony- benefit from a partnership, given the fact that people love the idea of battling monsters.

Do Pokemon fans really feel that much threatened when somebody dares to use their religion as a point of reference?

Lets focus on the matter. Can the Vita be saved and more important, how?

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:
FunFan said:

You're joking right?

It's true, though, isn't it?

I mean, think about it for a second.  Uncharted is obviously ripped from Zelda.  God of War?  He looks like a paler version of Kirby.  The Last of Us?  Joel is basically a female Samus.  On top of that, the Killzone universe looks suspiciously like the Mushroom Kingdom.

Even Horizon, Sony's newest game, is obviously copied from Splatoon.

It could even be argued that Little Big Planet is nothing but a Mario Maker clone.  And, no, I don't care about which came first, logic has no place here.

Digimon Story, Digimon World or a whole new franchise with exclusive gameplay ?

I would not buy a console for Story, day one for World and would wait for reviews if new gameplay.

Also never a mon franchise will be as popular as Pokemon. Not even SMT or Digimon.

The_BlackHeart__ said:
Nothing can touch the Pokemon franchise when it comes down to the handheld market.

Actually, Pokemon is arguably the actual reason why there is a portable consoles market to begin with.

This is not a Digimon vs Pokemon situation. This is about unutilized potential and how much can both parties -Digimon and Sony- benefit from a partnership, given the fact that people love the idea of battling monsters.

Do Pokemon fans really feel that much threatened when somebody dares to use their religion as a point of reference?

Lets focus on the matter. Can the Vita be saved and more important, how?

I've been arguing for years that Sony's absolute biggest mistake with their handheld division has been their failure to develop a kid-friendly IP.

In Japan, they can get by without it.  In the west, the handheld market depends on titles that appeal to a younger audience.  Developing such an IP--and I mean the whole nine yards, including games, television, and toys--should have been a priority from the moment they launched the PSP.  Even if it wasn't, it should have been one BEFORE they launched the Vita.  The adult gamer market is not going to support dedicated handheld devices in North America.

What makes this even more of a mistake is that Sony is in a good position with Sony Pictures to leverage kid-friendly properties.  They could make it happen.  If nothing else, they could have formed a partnership with someone that already had a popular media IP and offered to handle the video-game segment of the market.

It's the same criticism I have with Nintendo: no one is going to do your job for you.  If you wait for that, and it doesn't happen, it's your own fault.  If you want a particular market to develop on your device, you go out and lay the groundwork yourself.

BraLoD said:
FunFan said:

Hahaha, hilarious.

Sony has by far the biggest amount of unique games and it's always creating new ones, and it doesn't have anything to do with Digimon.

Pokemon >>>>> Digimon, though, don't think anyone will be opposing it.

Digimon > Pokemon

-Story
-Actual Difficulty
-Monsters are more likeable in World games, because of the simulation and death part
-Content (In 2013, some game files finally got reversed enginneerd so that we could break a LOT of myths about a digimon game released in 2000. There was still a lot of secrets and misunderstandings about the game system)

Pokemon > Digimon

-Kid Friendly
-Multiplayer
-Competitive
-Completionism better rewarded
-Better battle system

Arguable

-Monster Design (I prefer Digimon)
-Central Theme (Power of friendship VS Technological singularity)

I see no reason why it wouldn't be debatable. While Pokemon is obviously a more popular franchise, if not one of the most in gaming history, both franchise have different qualities.

pokoko said:
Mystro-Sama said:

You're joking right?

It's true, though, isn't it?

I mean, think about it for a second.  Uncharted is obviously ripped from Zelda.  God of War?  He looks like a paler version of Kirby.  The Last of Us?  Joel is basically a female Samus.  On top of that, the Killzone universe looks suspiciously like the Mushroom Kingdom.

Even Horizon, Sony's newest game, is obviously copied from Splatoon.

It could even be argued that Little Big Planet is nothing but a Mario Maker clone.  And, no, I don't care about which came first, logic has no place here.

Hard to argue with those brutal facts. You win this round.