By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony and the Digimon franchise.

SCE Japan Studio announces tomorrow that they have been working on a series of exclusive Vita games based on the Digimon universe. What will you do?

I will buy one when the n... 17 30.91%

I already own a Vita and ... 10 18.18%

I already own a Vita and ... 9 16.36%

Digimon is not big enough... 19 34.55%

Total:55

The Persona series is too big for for a handheld and despite Sony's attempts to stablish a good lineup for the Vita (which has been achieved), they still haven't found a killer app, something that turns their portable device into a need for the gaming community.

But we already know the solution, don't we?

If you make a survey and look for the actual reason why people buy 3Ds and Nintendo handhelds in general, the same franchise will come on top 9 out of 10 times: Pokemon.

So lets make a case here. Given the scenario in which,

1) Sony acquires full rights of the Digimon Gaming franchise.

2) They allocate a dedicated studio that can focus on periodical releases.

3) And finally turn the sporadic status of the franchise into a strong portable IP.

Will you buy a Vita?

Around the Network

Digimon is NOT equivalent to Pokemon and never will be ...

It has had more than enough chances for it to take off but neither Toei nor Namco could make it work ...

I still wouldn't buy a Vita for Digimon ...

The_BlackHeart__ said:

So lets make a case here. Given the scenario in which,

1) Sony acquires full rights of the Digimon Gaming franchise.

2) They allocate a dedicated studio that can focus on periodical releases.

3) And finally turn the sporadic status of the franchise into a strong portable IP.

Will you buy a Vita?

Actually I will probably buy a Vita off my friend this week for $90. One of the reasons is because the Digimon game looks really good. However, I don't think Digimon has the appeal that Pokemon has, and it never will (evidenced by the long history of both franchises.) All of the things that make Pokemon a phenomenon don't seem to be existent in any Digimon game, to be honest.

I wouldn't buy anything for either Digimon or Pokemon. Dunno why anyone likes that stuff

Digimon got nothing on Pokémon. It'll be another PlayStation AllStars case. Maybe instead of copying Nintendo, Sony should try something unique for once.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Around the Network
FunFan said:
Digimon got nothing on Pokémon. It'll be another PlayStation AllStars case. Maybe instead of copying Nintendo, Sony should try something unique for once.

Sony doesn't even own Digimon ...

FunFan said:

Don't take the bait guys.

I love Digimon, but it's certainly not a killer app. At least not right now. The anime is just now getting revamped, but it's not in its prime as it was with the original Adventure series. It's also not extremely popular as a game series, and even though Cyber Sleuth sold fairly well on the Vita, it was still a far cry from Pokemon and multiple other games on the system sold significantly better.

I think it would take years and years to build up the Digimon brand to that level, and by then Sony might not even make handhelds anymore.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Pokemon is a much stronger brand... but you can probably nurture Digimon, with tv series ect, and have it grow alot.
Its a growth oppertunity, imo.

Lol people, don't even start this discussion, when Hardcore fans will arrive FLAMES WILL BE EVERYWHERE.
Srsly they are separated franchises, plus, Digimon wouldn't save Vita. stop it there