By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Videogamer Devil's Third Preview: " A cruel joke for Wii U owners"

Maybe NoA was right...

Around the Network
Noctisluciscaelum said:
This thread remind me the order 1886 Lol

The order was being bashed day one, even if it turned out great it would have been bashed because it was a ps4 exclusive. It ended up being bad anyway but irrelevant, not the same.

You know you've done something wrong when your game looks like this:

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

I'm buying it, one for collection purposes, and also because it looks like an 80s B movie that Dolph Lundgren would star in. The expendables films are dire but mindless entertainment as well, that's the mindset I will approach when playing Devils third

spurgeonryan said:
generic-user-1 said:
spurgeonryan said:
So its main problem is being ugly?

looking like last gen, meh gameplay and 80s story. ohh and your love intrest looks a bit young but thats because of an illness(i think dr house had such a case).

i dont think this will be worse than how to train your dragon 2...

Well that game was a lot of fun, and even VEknoid Outcast gave it a decent 6/10 rating. So unless the controls are horrible, Devils Third could be a 7/10 for Veknoid. In that case it will not be anywhere near as bad as what this preview is saying. Just extreme propoganda to get hits.

true. everybody jump into the hate train. it is like a sneak peak and all the cons on this game is amplified and nothing good was done. it seems poorly managed, some out of the blue concepts(radical) it may seem. i'll wait for the review and what is the issue on campaign and multiplayer.

Around the Network

lol well I still want it. I hope atleast a few others get it so I have some people to play with online :(... And stop with the bad graphics it looks far better than starfox zero.

illdill1987 said:
lol well I still want it. I hope atleast a few others get it so I have some people to play with online :(... And stop with the bad graphics it looks far better than starfox zero.

Starfox Zero looks fine. At parts new Starfox looks like a Gamecube game, at least that was the case when it was showcased at E3, but they had other sections that looked pretty good that indicated the game just needed some more spit shine before it was ready to be printed to discs and distributed. It isn't like they don't still have time either. I don't imagine production will begin until late September at the earliest to be ready for the December 2015 release window, so they still have at least a couple of months to get things in order. On the other hand, Devil's Third launches next month, looks like an early 360 launch title, has looked like that since E3 2014, and will never be improved upon.

Let's try not put words into my mouth. I clearly said quality control which is part of what a publishing party does for a game being created. They keep uptodate on progress, they ensure the quality of the game is up to their standards. 

Additionally, Nintendo actually are involved in development through their SPD 2 group, headed by Yamagami. And they helped with game design, testing and tuning. 

http://www.valhallagamestudios.com/en/2014/09/thought-2014-09.html

So much for Nintendo being not being involved with this game.

Also Nintendo were not helping with the game with 5 years of development. THQ only gave Itagaki the IP back in July 2012. 

So ultimately, Nintendo's job is to ensure quality of game software they are publishing. And they were involved in development. And now they want nothing to do with it?

I was aware of SDK's involvement and that Nintendo only came on board in 2012 which ties somewhat into my point. The fact that it has been development for five years and still apparently has major playability issues, suggests that the development process experienced significant problems.

If Nintendo had been involved from the outset, perhaps quality control would have been enough to keep the game on track, but quality control can only get you so far if a product is fundamentally flawed.

Nintendo may have realised this and pitched some development assistance in hopes of righting the ship, but it clearly didn't work. Anything I've read about Nintendo and their third party partnerships these days suggests that they are happy to lend technical support but tend not to get too heavily involved, leaving directorship with the outside studio. If they get eavily involved it just becomes 'another Nintendo game'.

Did Nintendo give best efforts to try and fix the game? We can't know for certain but there comes a point where you have to cut your losses. And seeing as they had a hand in development they should have good insight into whether it was worth persisting with trying to fix this game.

Nintendo has certainly dropped the ball before in terms of supporting quality releases e.g. The Wonderful 101, I just don't think this is one of those times.

LuckyTrouble said:
illdill1987 said:

Starfox Zero looks fine. At parts new Starfox looks like a Gamecube game, at least that was the case when it was showcased at E3, but they had other sections that looked pretty good that indicated the game just needed some more spit shine before it was ready to be printed to discs and distributed. It isn't like they don't still have time either. I don't imagine production will begin until late September at the earliest to be ready for the December 2015 release window, so they still have at least a couple of months to get things in order. On the other hand, Devil's Third launches next month, looks like an early 360 launch title, has looked like that since E3 2014, and will never be improved upon.

I don't know man. I guess it comes down to perspective of the individual. I would say they need atleast a whole year with starfox. I mean did you see that nintendo e3 stage footage of the level with the helicopter everything looked terrible. The lighting effects for the strobe lights the water effects the textures on the ground. The mountains in the backround. Devils Third I honestly  think looks better. Character models look good to me. Blood and gore effects look cool. Melee combat looks fun the shooting doesn't seem to work that well. But I can def see myself getting more enjoyment from Devils Third.

Mr.Playstation said:
Nuvendil said:
See what I mean by no win scenario? If Nintendo puts any serious backing behind this they'll be bombarded for spending resources on this instead of [insert desired game here]. If they don't people will say they aren't supporting the game or console fully. If they don't publish it, they'll really get blasted.

Oh and I think this supports my theory: they backed Itagaki and his reputation, probably gave him almost complete autonomy. And then he screwed the pooch and Nintendo didn't see it coming til it was too late. Modest budget or not, your game should at least be competent. Poor bet on Nintendo's part, but poor form on the devs too.

Yeah, Nintendo can easily strike a perfect balance ( and make everyone happy ) but lately they've been going overboard ( Splatoon ) with their support or it's so non-existant that the end product is horrible ( Devil's Third )

A perfect compromise would have been to first of all make sure that the game is going along smoothly during development ( and hence be a good game ) and that secondly they could market it here and there but not buy the marketing spots in every single major gaming website.

Well again I am going to say the biggest mistake here is misplaced trust.  Itagaki was a great developer before, they probably gave him the money and almost full autonomy and only recently realized just how badly things went under his guidance.  If the game were unfinished, slightly unpolished, or had the other earmarks of just being rushed or modestly budgeted, yeah I would put 99% of the blame on Nintendo.  But what is so far being described is a complete disaster.  When that is the case, I think you have to put at least equal blame on the developers if not more.