By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, i will get a WiiU

Bayonetta 2, Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart, Smash Bros. Also don't know if you're into these games but Monster Hunter and Resident Evil Revelations.

Around the Network

The Wind Waker HD
Mario Kart 8
Smash 4 Wii U
3D World
Splatoon

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

absolutely get the pro controller.

games i would recommend:

Mario Kart 8 (the best game on the console imo)
Smash 4
DKC: Tropical Freeze
Mario 3D World

i find Splatoon moderately entertaining but not really enough to where i would recommend it.  you might like it more than i did.

So I got the WiiU with splatoon, mk8, pro controller, wiimote+nunchuk. However, I got the basic version with only 8gig of internal hard drive. Also, the dealer said it worked with SD card which was kind of true. Since it was the basic version it doesn't come with the sensor bar, but luckily I could borrow my brothers.

The two games I got, they are absolutely AMAZING. I love how they focus on just being incredibly fun and inclusive, and the gameplay is really high quality.

Overall, this is a great console, but it is really easy to see where it has its hurdles, and those are not related to the games in any way. When we played mk8 mp with three players, we had three different controllers, where one used the sensor bar. The fact that the SD card doesn't work with the WiiU storage specifically or that you don't get much info about having to own the sensor bar means that the console gives a very messy first impression.

I can see how many people, including for example my sister, will never buy it since you need to know so much about how everything works with controllers, sensor bars, SD cards and so on. It kind of gives the opposite impression compared to all its predecessors, where simplicity has been the guiding principle.

However: Games is what matters and it really delivers on all front. Also, I love the gamepad and pro controller. The store is really good (leagues ahead of X1 store for example) and it is easy to create an account and so on.

So overall I would say that this is a machine a will hold close to my heart and I expect to get som truly groundbreaking experiences. I can see its similarities with Dreamcast though: A console that is way ahead of its time in some regards but where its abilities aren't used in the right way.

Puppyroach said:
So I got the WiiU with splatoon, mk8, pro controller, wiimote+nunchuk. However, I got the basic version with only 8gig of internal hard drive. Also, the dealer said it worked with SD card which was kind of true. Since it was the basic version it doesn't come with the sensor bar, but luckily I could borrow my brothers.

The two games I got, they are absolutely AMAZING. I love how they focus on just being incredibly fun and inclusive, and the gameplay is really high quality.

Overall, this is a great console, but it is really easy to see where it has its hurdles, and those are not related to the games in any way. When we played mk8 mp with three players, we had three different controllers, where one used the sensor bar. The fact that the SD card doesn't work with the WiiU storage specifically or that you don't get much info about having to own the sensor bar means that the console gives a very messy first impression.

I can see how many people, including for example my sister, will never buy it since you need to know so much about how everything works with controllers, sensor bars, SD cards and so on. It kind of gives the opposite impression compared to all its predecessors, where simplicity has been the guiding principle.

However: Games is what matters and it really delivers on all front. Also, I love the gamepad and pro controller. The store is really good (leagues ahead of X1 store for example) and it is easy to create an account and so on.

So overall I would say that this is a machine a will hold close to my heart and I expect to get som truly groundbreaking experiences. I can see its similarities with Dreamcast though: A console that is way ahead of its time in some regards but where its abilities aren't used in the right way.

glad your happy with your purchase.  how much you bought your Wii U basic console? are those bundled with the games you've mentioned + the controllers?

Around the Network

MK8 and Splatoon are a good start. Smash Bros. and you have the multiplayer trifecta.

Otherwise, I'd get Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2 and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze before other games. There are around a dozen exclusives that every Wii U owner should play (and some more ok ones). My personal Top 5 also includes Wind Waker HD and The Wonderful 101, but one is a remake/remaster and the other one is inaccessible.

The games I had the most fun playing were (in no particular order):

Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 2
Zelda Wind Waker
Splatoon
Shovel Knight

I love my Wii U. My wife got me the 32GB version, but I have an old HDD (80GB, yeah, it's pretty old) connected to it by USB.

A question: The games in the Eshop, are they all compatible to the WiiU or how do I know which ones work with it?

Puppyroach said:
A question: The games in the Eshop, are they all compatible to the WiiU or how do I know which ones work with it?

you can filter the games in the search option in the e-shop. There are 3DS games mixed in there but you cannot buy them directly on the Wii U e-shop, but the rest are all compatible with Wii U so don't worry.