By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - With what we know now, could a 100 dollar price drop push the Wii U over the X1 this holiday?

What could a large price drop do with what we know now?

Push it between 13 and 15 million by Jan 1st 55 28.50%

Give it a large push for ... 35 18.13%

They cannot drop it that ... 39 20.21%

other post below 1 0.52%

No one wants it, will not enhance sales 44 22.80%

ees ressults 8 4.15%

Over Reggies Dead body! 11 5.70%

Total:193
LipeJJ said:
I don't understand people that say they can't drop the price without taking a huge loss. I mean, this thing is $300 since 2012... is it really that hard to drop its price to $250? Will a super-ultra-mega outdated hardware be sold at loss at $250? wtf? You can't say they gamepad still coasts around $100... years have passed.

the price for the wiiu is below 200. the problem is, nobody want the white version with nintendo land, mario party or just dance.

bundle better game with it and it will sell.   

Around the Network
LipeJJ said:
I don't understand people that say they can't drop the price without taking a huge loss. I mean, this thing is $300 since 2012... is it really that hard to drop its price to $250? Will a super-ultra-mega outdated hardware be sold at loss at $250? wtf? You can't say they gamepad still coasts around $100... years have passed.

Whilst manufacturing becomes cheaper as the overall process becomes more efficient, it's a lot harder to drop costs if your console isn't selling so well. Sony, and to a lesser extent Microsoft, can negotiate to bulk buy components at a fast rate to drop the costs. As Nintendo aren't selling as many WiiU consoles, it's harder for them to negotiate good prices on components.

Doubt it, MS like to give away the console on holiday that even ps4 is gonna have a hard time beating xb1 on holiday.

The GameCube had great games, decent (though not exceptional third party support), a good controller, was powerful, and quickly dropped to 100 dollars. That's incredibly cheap for a powerful console.

I think Nintendo's problem with home consoles isn't so much that they need to avoid making lots of mistakes, as they did with the N64 and the Wii U. I think their problem is that they fear that even if they do almost everything right -- as they did with the Gamecube -- they will still fail.

So yeah, price is definitely a factor. You could make an argument that the Wii is selling at a faster rate compared to the PS4 because it 150 dollars cheaper. The 3DS and the PS3 only took off when they received significant price cuts. But I think there are a whole slew of other problems that would hurt the Wii U even if it was a cheap system. The bigger problem for Nintendo, though, is the question of whether or not their next console will sell well even if they don't make tons of mistakes.

But if you want me to make a prediction, there would be no chance that a 100 dollar price cut would allow the Wii U to match the XB1.

Depends on the part of the world. In the US? Not a chance in hell. Japan? It's already winning. Europe? Probably not, but you never know.

Worldwide is out of reach imo because the gap in the US is only going to widen as Xbox One starts taking off.

Around the Network
Ryng_Tolu said:
XBO is not going to sell like last year imo.
Not withouth AC and CoD... With a massive pricedrop WU can compete with XBO.

Still will Sell less...

Without AC and CoD? XBO will get AC Syndicate + CoD Black Ops 3 the same day as PS4 + PC.

Plus Halo 5, Forza 6, Rise of the Tomb Raider,  MGS 5, Need for Speed, Fallout 4, Just Cause 3, Star Wars Battlefront, Rainbow Six Siege, all 2016 sport games (Madden, FIFA, NHL, NBA, WWE, Tony Hawks...)

Why should it sell worse than last year?

Conina said:
Ryng_Tolu said:
XBO is not going to sell like last year imo.
Not withouth AC and CoD... With a massive pricedrop WU can compete with XBO.

Still will Sell less...

Without AC and CoD? XBO will get AC Syndicate + CoD Black Ops 3 the same day as PS4 + PC.

Plus Halo 5, Forza 6, Rise of the Tomb Raider,  MGS 5, Need for Speed, Fallout 4, Just Cause 3, Star Wars Battlefront, Rainbow Six Siege, all 2016 sport games (Madden, FIFA, NHL, NBA, WWE, Tony Hawks...)

Why should it sell worse than last year?

Of course i talking about the marketing... i mean, seem obvius.

The Assassin's Creed bundle was just insanity, as we know. And the partnership of Call Of Duty has always help the XBOX  sales during the holidays.

If i remember correctly, this is the first year without the Cod partnership, agreed?

Also, i talk about the holidays, if we talk about the intere year, i expect XBO to be up YOY, but just by a smaller margin... some like 5% or so.

Angelv577 said:
Doubt it, MS like to give away the console on holiday that even ps4 is gonna have a hard time beating xb1 on holiday.

We talk about Globally sales.

PS4 has no problem to sell more than XBO like all times.

a $199 price tag would definitely increase sales. hell, i would even say $179 is possible

Nevertheless all these games will launch the same day for XBO as for PS4 + PC, there should be some games for every taste this holiday.

And Microsoft will "insanely" advertise Halo 5 and Forza 6 instead of third party games.