By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Minions to be yet another Billion dollar hit? - 1 billion confirmed 8/28/15

Tagged games:

How much will it earn?

800 million 17 18.48%

900 million 17 18.48%

1 billion 12 13.04%

1 minionillion 11 11.96%

1.1-1.4 billion 15 16.30%

1.5 plus 8 8.70%

see results 8 8.70%

other post below 0 0%

If you want credit for your prediction... 3 3.26%

....post below! 1 1.09%

Total:92

It's tracking ahead of Despicable Me 2 and that one almost made it to one billion so unless it has no legs at all it will get to one billion eventually. Box office mojo also predicted that it would make it to one billion dollars a couple of month ago but surprisingly they didn't mention Jurassic World as a billion dollar movie and that one is only a couple of days away from earning $1.5 billion world wide.

Around the Network

If there is a god, this won't happen.

shikamaru317 said:

I saw Minions and Inside Out at a double feature last night. Honestly, between the two I thought Inside Out was the better movie. Minions wasn't as good as the first two Despicable Me movies imo, it was ok but not great. I'm surprised to see that Minions is tracking ahead of Inside Out, given Pixar's reputation for quality and the stellar reviews that Inside Out got.

Inside Out had to compete with a film that had the biggest opening of all time. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

MoHasanie said:
Making a billion isn't special anymore.

It still is since only 22 movies have done it so far.  Also if Minions does it it will do it without the aid of the Chinese box office which is pretty impressive.

I watched the movie today. It wasnt nearly as good as the Despicable me movies, but it was ok i suppose. Felt more like a straight to video (DVD/BR) movie.

Around the Network
DialgaMarine said:
shikamaru317 said:

I saw Minions and Inside Out at a double feature last night. Honestly, between the two I thought Inside Out was the better movie. Minions wasn't as good as the first two Despicable Me movies imo, it was ok but not great. I'm surprised to see that Minions is tracking ahead of Inside Out, given Pixar's reputation for quality and the stellar reviews that Inside Out got.

Inside Out had to compete with a film that had the biggest opening of all time. 

No, Inside Out was released a week after Jurrasic World.  Inside Out has very good chance to get to one billion also.  It has one pretty big overseas advantage over Minions since it will be released in China and Minions will not.

It will make it. Minios everywhere! But, since pixar is Disney, and Disney does know how to make money from home video, I would bet that if we look it again in 15 years Inside Out will still be bought, streamed or whatever comes next, while Minions will be vanished from society memory. It's a shame it will take time so we can know for sure.

Anyway, someone knows a good site to see home video market ?

The only way it won't make a billion is if it is extremely front-loaded. So, unfortunately, it'll pass up a billion.

invetedlotus123 said:
It will make it. Minios everywhere! But, since pixar is Disney, and Disney does know how to make money from home video, I would bet that if we look it again in 15 years Inside Out will still be bought, streamed or whatever comes next, while Minions will be vanished from society memory. It's a shame it will take time so we can know for sure.

Anyway, someone knows a good site to see home video market ?

That might be true but Minions will also make a megaton from merchandising and cross promotions.  As far as home video numbers go the-numbers.com is pretty good they also track the current box office numbers but not for every movie.

I have yet to see the movie, but given the quality of the two previous movies and how minions invaded social networks with their easy design I'd say they can definitely take the billion crown.

Edit : Why does the wiki says it's an american movie when it's made by a french studio ?