By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - ! ! ! Batman V Superman - New trailer from Comic-Con

mornelithe said:
Hynad said:

It's comic book tradition that the first meeting between Batman and Superman ends with them fighting each other, before becoming allies.

Ok, disclaimer then, as I said earlier I've never read the comics.  There's only 1 Superman comic I own, and that's the 'collection' of comics that all contributed to the 'Death of Superman' (which was just...one of the most brutal affairs ever).

Funny story though, Batman fought Spawn once, at least, he tried to.  I recommend seeing how that worked out, if you aren't already aware lol.

I own that comic! Batman had some sort of power glove that evened the odds.  Then they games up.  Batman got injured, Spawn saved his life. Batman hit Spawn in the face with a batarang.  The whole comic sucked!  The art was great, though.

There was another one written by DC but I never read it. It was supposed to be better.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
mornelithe said:

Who knows he can't see through Lead?  That is never addressed in the MoS movie.  Not even Lois knows this.

Are we going to throw away years of canon just because one movie did not show Superman weaknesses.  I am sure if the writers are working on a believable plot they would introduce some scenerio where Superman cannot see through lead.  I believe this was done with Superman 2 which is how Lex found out.

It was thrown away as part of the earlier conversation, so I do apologize if you didn't see that beforehand.  Many were strictly going by MoS as the starting point (since this movie is a sequel to that).  Though, my initial question about kryptonite, the location of krypton, the distance and time it'd take fragments to reach earth, is absolutely pulled from the comics.  Those exact numbers anyway.

d21lewis said:
mornelithe said:

Ok, disclaimer then, as I said earlier I've never read the comics.  There's only 1 Superman comic I own, and that's the 'collection' of comics that all contributed to the 'Death of Superman' (which was just...one of the most brutal affairs ever).

Funny story though, Batman fought Spawn once, at least, he tried to.  I recommend seeing how that worked out, if you aren't already aware lol.

I own that comic! Batman had some sort of power glove that evened the odds.  Then they games up.  Batman got injured, Spawn saved his life. Batman hit Spawn in the face with a batarang.  The whole comic sucked!  The art was great, though.

There was another one written by DC but I never read it. It was supposed to be better.

Not sure we're talking about the same comic, in the one I saw, Spawn held him at the point between life and death, and basically said look dude, this isn't a fair fight, but I could use your help.  Make your choice.  I recall an image of Spawn reacting to some kind of gas bomb though.

I wonder if there are more than 1 Batman/Spawn crossovers.  It would be entirely ridiculous though, to suggest that Batman could do anything against Spawn.  Not to branch out into other hypothetical vigilante faceoffs lol :D

mornelithe said:
d21lewis said:

Not sure we're talking about the same comic, in the one I saw, Spawn held him at the point between life and death, and basically said look dude, this isn't a fair fight, but I could use your help.  Make your choice.  I recall an image of Spawn reacting to some kind of gas bomb though.

I wonder if there are more than 1 Batman/Spawn crossovers.  It would be entirely ridiculous though, to suggest that Batman could do anything against Spawn.  Not to branch out into other hypothetical vigilante faceoffs lol :D

Two that I knew of. One was Batman/Spawn and the other was Spawn/Batman.  One written by Image and one by DC.

I only read the Image one.

d21lewis said:
mornelithe said:

Two that I knew of. One was Batman/Spawn and the other was Spawn/Batman.  One written by Image and one by DC.

I only read the Image one.

Ahh that may be the difference, my friend owns the one I read (can't remember how it was titled, just know it was those two).  And yeah, the gas thing annoyed Spawn, but afterwards he simply ended the fight.

If we HAD to do a crossover, I'd say Batman vs Predator would be the best.  Batman would absolutely be at a disadvantage, but way way way more likely and believable that you'd have a full length feature film around that battle, versus a conflict between Batman and Superman, just my opinion though.

Around the Network

I'm still not digging this "protect a world that hates and fears him" thing they got going on.  I mean, I get why people might act like that, but it's simply never been part of the superman experience.

JWeinCom said:

I'm still not digging this "protect a world that hates and fears him" thing they got going on.  I mean, I get why people might act like that, but it's simply never been part of the superman experience.

Yeah, I mean it's not like they don't have an entire building full of witnesses who saw the final struggle between Zod and Superman, where he begged him not to, but chose humans over his own kind.  What the hell is there to feel hate for?  It isn't his fault his parents sent him here.

mornelithe said:
JWeinCom said:

Yeah, I mean it's not like they don't have an entire building full of witnesses who saw the final struggle between Zod and Superman, where he begged him not to, but chose humans over his own kind.  What the hell is there to feel hate for?  It isn't his fault his parents sent him here.

I get why people would hate him..  I mean, the aliens came looking for him.  So far, he has contributed nothing to the world aside from fixing problems that wouldn't have existed if he hadn't come to Earth.  And people like finding things to blame anyway.

Again, it's not that I don't think it makes sense, it's just not a god idea for a superman movie.

JWeinCom said:
mornelithe said:

I get why people would hate him..  I mean, the aliens came looking for him.  So far, he has contributed nothing to the world aside from fixing problems that wouldn't have existed if he hadn't come to Earth.  And people like finding things to blame anyway.

Again, it's not that I don't think it makes sense, it's just not a god idea for a superman movie.

Well, that's not entirely true either, at least from MoS we know of numerous incidents where he saved people.  Lois twice, humanity, the school bus full of kids, the oil rig, etc...  So there is reason to believe that he cares about humanity.  I do get it, kneejerk reaction is to hate that they had to choose Earth, but it really wasn't his choice (should be able to explain that, dude's calm as hell).

Dunno, couple these occasions together, with the entire shouting match between Zod and Superman at the end in front of all those people, before he snaps his neck to avoid killing humans...that's gotta count for something, doesn't it?

mornelithe said:

Well, that's not entirely true either, at least from MoS we know of numerous incidents where he saved people.  Lois twice, humanity, the school bus full of kids, the oil rig, etc...  So there is reason to believe that he cares about humanity.  I do get it, kneejerk reaction is to hate that they had to choose Earth, but it really wasn't his choice (should be able to explain that, dude's calm as hell).

Dunno, couple these occasions together, with the entire shouting match between Zod and Superman at the end in front of all those people, before he snaps his neck to avoid killing humans...that's gotta count for something, doesn't it?

Isn't it Human nature to fear what you do not understand.  Its the fact that he is not of this earth.  Posses abilities that allow him to decimate any army.  The only thing holding him back is himself.  When people cannot trust the same people they know, how can they trust someone they totally do not know.

So yes, fear would be the first thing you feel towards Superman and next would be hate.  From the trailer it appears that this is when Superman start to make himself known as someone who does care even when people fear and hate him which is probably on point.  It's a choice Superman has to make because in reality, who is to say people will just love him because he did a few good deeds.  When people do good things, others get suspicisous that its for some type of gain.