By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - So I just watched Zeitgeist

thetonestarr said:
Religion is a belief system about why the world and life exists. It's a belief about what we are here for.

With that said, atheism is a religion.

It can't be... I mean how does atheism steal peoples money?  (joke)

Around the Network

My view:

Zeitgeist is a collection of 3 commonly vocalized "we are abused by the authorities" "fight against the man" style conspiricies presented in such a way that more effectively provokes emotion and doubt within the viewer than the usual "smelly crazy guy standing on the street with a cardboard sign" method.

are the facts correct? i don't know. i plan to check out the sources mentioned in the credits sometime in the future.

do i believe it? while i'm not going to ignore it, i have to say i don't believe it right now. all i've seen is the creator's side of the story. i'd prefer to continue being happy with my current beliefs until i've had a look at the raw info and check if the creator has used it prpoerly or twisted it to fit the agenda.

i'm mainly concerned with part 1 as any person with religious beliefs may understand. the way they claim that all those "Gods" share all those exact qualities sounds too farfetched to be believed outright (which you shouldnt even if it sounded credible). mostly i'd like to see how they calculated all those "Gods" to all have been born on Dec 25 because i'm pretty sure all those various cultures didnt use a Gregorian calendar all those years ago. it does look like the creator is grasping to try to make the topic seem plausible.

as for the other parts, it doesnt affect my beliefs in those subjects so much.

the wars would likely still happen and still be just as bad no matter who caused 9/11.

i've always believed that all the economies around the world need to be fixed. so it doesnt matter to me if the economic problem in USA is because some men are greedy, my belief still stands that the current economic structures around the world only benefit the rich and that changes need to be made to make things fair for everyone.

the thing is people need to start Independantly Investigating the Truth for themselves. it's all good to open minded to other peoples ideas but accepting them without investigating and rationalising can lead some rather messed up beliefs.

As an atheist that has seen it, I can say it's crap. It's poorly researched, propaganda that uses alot of the same logical fallacies that alot of religions do. It largely tries to appeal to the emotions, while giving what appears to be logical thought out arguments until you actually look into them, or do some research. Then it all falls apart. Alot of newer religions such as Jehovah's Witness's do the exact same thing. Use good sounding but faulty logic, as well as slanted language to appeal to emotions while making you believe it's appealing to your mind and sense of logic or rationality. It's just another internet movie. Beats the hell out of me why it's gotten so much attention.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

thetonestarr said:
Religion is a belief system about why the world and life exists. It's a belief about what we are here for.

You know, now that I think of it, we atheists totally go to Non-Church every Sunday and worship Lack-Of-God while performing our Rites of Non-Belief. Oh, and we're also instructed by the Atheist Bible to fast on certain Non-Holy Days, make offerings to Saints Darwin, Dawkins, and Randi, and tithe a portion of our income to the National Science Foundation.

Yes, it appears that I've been denying it all along: atheism really is a religion. Thank you, Master Internet Logician thetonestarr, you have helped me see the light.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Ah yes... The old Atheism is a religious statement.

Always seemed to me like saying that walking is just another brand of automobile.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

I could really care less whether or not atheism is a religion. It's just a mincing of words, it doesn't change any facts.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Don't mean to intrude, but if a documentary makes you think that America is completely evil, you probably just watched a biased documentary. I haven't seen the documentary, but I have investigaed all the Building 7 and Pentagon photographic "evidence" and can honestly tell you that anyone who claims America had anything to do with destroying the WTC is full of crap. I'm with Bill Clinton on this one when I say "How dare you." Don't believe that bullshit, its there to trick you into believing some crazy anti-american shit because it stirs up controversy and furthers the agendas of anti-american nuts.

As for atheism, it's the lack of religion. 

To claim atheism is a religion is to say that everyone is religious. If you ask an atheist if he's religious, he's say "No I'm an athiest."

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I think asking if atheism is a religion is asking if black is a color. Depends on how you look at it, but at the end of the day it doesn't really make two cents difference to whether or not you believe in a deity.

thetonestarr said:

Atheism is not a religion by that definition, as holding the position that no gods exist makes exactly zero predictions or explanations about why the world is here. Atheism is just that one belief; it does not imply any world view at all.

Science is not a religion, because once again believing in the scientific method as a generally good set of principles for deducing the way that physical systems interact makes exactly zero predictions or explanations about why the world is here.

Individual scientific theories may attempt to explain how physical systems interact and why the experimental data gives particular measured values, but they make zero predictions or explanations about why the world is here.

The current scientific consensus (Completely different from the concepts of "Atheism", "Science, "This one theory I read about" or even "fact")is that  life has no purpose and were products of an blind evolutionary process, and that the universe has no purpose and arose from chance interactions of energy and matter in the wider spacetime.

Religion that is socially defined (as in rituals, laws, organisation of authority and in particular absolute moral beliefs) does not include atheism either, because once again, atheism is just that one belief; it does not imply any world view at all.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

BenKenobi88 said:
ArtofAngels, I'm not trying to attack you that much. It was just an insult for an insult I suppose, since you're telling me I've been living a big fat lie and don't want to believe it.

I'm a Christian, but I'm keeping those arguments out of here, since you clearly don't want to hear my beliefs on God. I've been running on logic here. I've been thinking for myself ever since I can remember, and I can deduce logically that Zeitgeist is, by and large, conspiracy propaganda, which doesn't really go anywhere. If you think this is a bunch of religious nuts ignoring the facts, it's not. I've checked the facts and have my own thoughts.

I honestly believe that the government did not cause 9/11. I honestly do not believe that Christianity exists solely to take money from the people. I don't know how else to say this, but all you're doing is restricting others' beliefs in the sake of Zeitgeist, because you think you're enlightened and are not wrong.

You're free to believe in everything this movie stated. But I'm telling you, it doesn't have very credible sources, and you really should think twice before eating up everything the movie told you.

Just as a side note: What is the point of Zeitgeist? If, hypothetically, everything in this movie was true, what difference does it make?
That all Christians and all religious people are living a lie? Didn't you believe that before, as an atheist or whatever?
That the government caused 9/11? OK, the gov. is evil, I'm pretty sure plenty can agree on that, but clearly the gov. does not care, they will deny it, and Zeitgeist is clearly not solid enough evidence to bring it down.
That the world is turning totalitarian, that the governments are conspiring against us constantly?

You're free to believe all that, but hell, I don't understand how Zeitgeist is anything new in the world of conspiracies. You say I go in with a Christian bias, I say you go in with a conspiracist bias.

I don't really feel like arguing about this anymore, it's all pretty pointless. If Zeitgeist was all true or all false, I'm pretty sure nothing is changed anyway.

Well, the movie itself obviously has a non-traditionalist, liberal, secular-progressive agenda itself. It's garnered its fair share of coolaid drinkers though, because it has nice production values, and no moral qualms about presenting its findings as factual and exclusive evidence. You can trick a lot of people like that, especially those who want to believe it from the start.

I would expect that everyone should respect opinions both ways on the internet, for the sake of political correctness, but honest, the movie proves nothing to a fair minded person, and offers absolutely nothing aside from far left ideologue political conspiracy theories far beyond the scope of believability.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.