By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft cuts another 7,800 jobs, takes $7.6 billion "impairment charge"

Baalzamon said:

I don't necessarily think it is worth that...but there are a couple pretty cool things:
-Integration with Outlook
-Conference calls up to 250 people (I've never had more than a few)
-Remote control/view another user's desktop (I've actually used this)

Thnak you for the responses :)

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Very informative, thank you!

Anyway endimion expained a little and wiki did the rest.

Wow, you found the answer by doing a little work!?!?! Good job, gold star for you!

You need to stop getting so defensive about anything MS. If you can't work out why it's better to chat with human about a subject in layman's terms rather than ploughing through paragraph after paragraph of text, most of it tech gibberish to my ears, then what else can I say?!?!

SWORDF1SH said:
NobleTeam360 said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Very informative, thank you!

Anyway endimion expained a little and wiki did the rest.

Wow, you found the answer by doing a little work!?!?! Good job, gold star for you!

You need to stop getting so defensive about anything MS. If you can't work out why it's better to chat with human about a subject in layman's terms rather than ploughing through paragraph after paragraph of text, most of it tech gibberish to my ears, then what else can I say?!?!

I apologize, you're right. 

ArchangelMadzz said:
Microsoft is one of those companies that can do as many restructures/layoffs as necessary because you've got to be insane to think they're in trouble.

Even the most succesful and financially healthy companies have their downfall. Just look at Sony. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

SWORDF1SH said:
NobleTeam360 said:
MoHasanie said:

$8 billion for a free video calling service doesn't seem like a very good business decision to me. 

Key words

In all seriousness, how do they make money on Skype? I know you can add credit to call/text mobiles but does anybody use that to justify the $8B purchase?

At my company we use Skype for several conference meetings and that cost money. So if there are tons of other companies like mine, thenI'm sure they're making money.

Around the Network

Everyone saw this coming. Microsoft is doing the same thing Sony is actually, slimming down til they have their core divisions left. Of course Microsoft wouldn't go bankrupt if they didn't but now they'll make even more money!

TheSting said:
Minecraft is a waste not even a year into the investment?

Think of all the games that could have been made for $2B. Such a waste.

Ms don't really care anymore they have all the money in the bank.

Lawlight said:
TheSting said:
Minecraft is a waste not even a year into the investment?

Think of all the games that could have been made for $2B. Such a waste.

How is it a waste though? That tells me nothing. Games are being made

Sony and MS are letting a lot of people go in the mobile department... It's sad. Especially considering both are making very good smartphones and Windows Mobile is definitely not so bad as many say they are. That said, there are still over 100000 people working at MS so while it's sad for the people who will be unemployed soon, MS is still a big company with a lot of employees.