By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Would you buy a more expensive PS4 with BC and a Cell CPU?

Would you buy such a PS4 Cell model?

yes, i would switch from ... 118 27.19%

yes, i would choose this one now 68 15.67%

no, i would choose the normal PS4 209 48.16%

no, i dont like the PS4 at all currently 39 8.99%

Total:434

Nope. backwards compatibility doesn't interest me as I have a PS3 and can't think of many, if any games I still care to play on it.

I could be completely wrong but I thought a lot of CPU driven aspects of games are not that easily scalable (unlike graphics) so we probably wouldn't see much difference in games without GPU also being beefed up. I was once in favour of sony/microsoft doing a mid gen upgrade, but I'm now inclined for the the new generation to begin in 2018 so there will be no point of that or this upgraded PS4

Around the Network
Ruler said:

http://www.legitreviews.com/leadtek-pxvc1100-mpeg-2h-264-transcoding-card_1134

it has H.264 like you mentioned above, its easy to make a software update for it.

RSX is a Gefore 7800 while the jaguar GPU is an AMD 7850-7870. The Cell CPU worked a lot in a way like a GPU, it would be perfect for being a third Physx CPU rendering extra stuff like particles. Look at games like MGS4 or the Last of US and tell me they look like junk? 

Besides has Sony enough man power from studios who could implement extra graphics effects, Nvidia is doing the same so Sony could do that easily for the next AAA game coming out.

The Cell BE does NOT have hardware acceleration for H.264, it is the SpursEngine that DOES have H.264 acceleration ... (Big Difference!) 

Just because GeForce 7800 is some old turd doesn't mean it is a known subset of GCN and using the Cell BE for physics simulation would have drawbacks such as synchronization overheads and other caveats of the Cell ...

How the games look like mean nothing to me when developers left and right claim Cell to be junk ... 

Even with all the man power there's no way to know if they could even translate it to graphical effects ...

For $100 more at launch, yes. I still use PS3 and the idea of playing those games with a much better system and UI appeals to me.

But by next year I do not see myself playing any PS3 games so at this point in time no it wouldn't be a worthwhile investment.

No. Haven't been interested in enough in PS3 games. Most that I'm interested in are available on PS now, in PS4 upgrades or on PC. PS+ makes this somewhat interesting but not nearly enough.

4 ≈ One

fatslob-:O said:
Ruler said:

http://www.legitreviews.com/leadtek-pxvc1100-mpeg-2h-264-transcoding-card_1134

it has H.264 like you mentioned above, its easy to make a software update for it.

RSX is a Gefore 7800 while the jaguar GPU is an AMD 7850-7870. The Cell CPU worked a lot in a way like a GPU, it would be perfect for being a third Physx CPU rendering extra stuff like particles. Look at games like MGS4 or the Last of US and tell me they look like junk? 

Besides has Sony enough man power from studios who could implement extra graphics effects, Nvidia is doing the same so Sony could do that easily for the next AAA game coming out.

The Cell BE does NOT have hardware acceleration for H.264, it is the SpursEngine that DOES have H.264 acceleration ... (Big Difference!) 

not really

Just because GeForce 7800 is some old turd doesn't mean it is a known subset of GCN and using the Cell BE for physics simulation would have drawbacks such as synchronization overheads and other caveats of the Cell ...

no it wouldnt

How the games look like mean nothing to me when developers left and right claim Cell to be junk ... 

you mean the devolopers who made Evolve for example? Naughty Dog and Guerilla Games make the best graphics now see Uncharted 4 and Horizon. You can see that devolopers who made most games with the Cell CPU are now the most skilled.

Even with all the man power there's no way to know if they could even translate it to graphical effects ...

yes they can

Around the Network

Not for 100 dollar price difference. Maybe 50.

lol. That was my reaction. A PS4 like this wouldn't be sold for $450, or even $500. If they shoved a PS3 in a PS4 as they would have to in order to get backwards compatibility, the thing would cost at least $600 and sell like garbage and resemble a hideous behemoth. A ridiculous price for the sake of giving backwards compatibility is the major reason that the PS3 suffered until the Slim re-launch (among extraneous price boosts from bleeding edge bluray tech and otherwise). There's a good reason Sony hasn't and won't shoot themselves in the foot yet again this way.

Besides that, I'm reasonably certain OP underestimates what would be necessary to actually provide PS3 backwards compatibility.

No. The best thing Sony can do is unlock games you own and stream the game through PlayStation Now. So for example, if you own uncharted disc and the game is on playstion now. Insert your disk and play the ps now stream version free.

Ruler said:

not really

no it wouldnt

you mean the devolopers who made Evolve for example? Naughty Dog and Guerilla Games make the best graphics now see Uncharted 4 and Horizon. You can see that devolopers who made most games with the Cell CPU are now the most skilled.

yes they can

1. Yes it is ...

2. You wouldn't know since your not a developer ...

3. What do the developers behind Evolve have to do with this ? Naughty Dog and Geurilla Games aren't the only ones when you have other guys like Crytek and Epic Games ... 

4. What THEY can do doesn't tell if the Cell can be leveraged in this case. Hell, the Jaguar APUs are probably a better idea for physics simulation than the poor Cell when all things are considered ...

No, what would be the point?