By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Would you buy a more expensive PS4 with BC and a Cell CPU?

Would you buy such a PS4 Cell model?

yes, i would switch from ... 118 27.19%

yes, i would choose this one now 68 15.67%

no, i would choose the normal PS4 209 48.16%

no, i dont like the PS4 at all currently 39 8.99%

Total:434
Intrinsic said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Uh... safe bet millions of people played PS1 and/or PS2 games on PS3 thanks to the PSN store offering so many. Sony has even given them "free" to PS+ members.

BC has absolutely been a deciding factory when buying a console. You must know your statment was ignorant. The only debate is how much impact it has.

I'm not saying X1 is going to get a massive sales boost thanks to BC. I'm simply saying millions of people will use it. Especially if developers keep giving 360 games with new X1 games.

Hence, you only feel BC matters if it sells a ton of hardware. I'm simply saying BC is a great feature to have and millions will take advantage of it on X1.

Ignorant? That's taking it a tad too far now isn't it?

Anyways, because millions use something doesn't mean its a deciding factor with regard to their purchase decisions. That's what I am saying and I still stand by it. 

I strongly strongly doubt that the reason anyone purchases a next gen console is primarily or even substantially due to it's ability to play last gen games. 

In the context I used the word, it was fair.

I'm simply saying BC is a great feature to have especially at no extra cost. It will motivate some people to get a X1. Most notably, it will certaintly be a motivator for 360 fans to stay with Xbox.

It also gives the X1 a bigger library of games which is great. I bet retailers are going to make a section for 360 games compatible with X1. Retailers in the used game business have just benefitted greatly from X1 BC and will push it as a reason to get a X1.

BC is just a reason among others to get a X1.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Intrinsic said:

Ignorant? That's taking it a tad too far now isn't it?

Anyways, because millions use something doesn't mean its a deciding factor with regard to their purchase decisions. That's what I am saying and I still stand by it. 

I strongly strongly doubt that the reason anyone purchases a next gen console is primarily or even substantially due to it's ability to play last gen games. 

I'm simply saying BC is a great feature to have especially at no extra cost. It will motivate some people to get a X1. Most notably, it will certaintly be a motivator for 360 fans to stay with Xbox.

It also gives the X1 a bigger library of games which is great. I bet retailers are going to make a section for 360 games compatible with X1. Retailers in the used game business have just benefitted greatly from X1 BC and will push it as a reason to get a X1.

We will see.... I just believe its just one of those features that are only great in forum discussions. But irrelevant in the real world. 

Let's see what kinda boost or good it does for the XB1 by years end. 

fatslob-:O said:

Moving to the PS4 certainly did allow them to add more visual polish but even with that accounted, do you really believe that the engineers at Sony would've got this game up and running on the PS3 in realtime performance despite the fact that they informed Yoshida otherwise ? 

I think moving it to PS4 was a logical given how fast the market moved to it. Based on what we've seen PS3 do, Last Guardian would have been fine on PS3. Thats my stance.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

well. if they make some sort of retro-style console that includes memory card slots, robust cooling, gameshark support, ps1/2 controller support i would buy it

Intrinsic said:
Mr Puggsly said:

We will see.... I just believe its just one of those features that are only great in forum discussions. But irrelevant in the real world. 

Let's see what kinda boost or good it does for the XB1 by years end. 

Well its impossible to measure what impact the BC will have. What isnt debatable is its a feature many will use at some point. Especially if the Games with Gold releases are BC and 360 games keep getting bundled with X1 games.

You wanna see a massive sales boost to prove it was worth doing. But that likely wont be the case. Bottom line, its great feature a lot of people will use and its free.

Recently Completed

Around the Network

Cerny has stated that if they just needed to add Cell into the PS4 to get BC they would have done it. That's not the case. Though I'm not a computer engineer to argue otherwise.

darkknightkryta said:
Cerny has stated that if they just needed to add Cell into the PS4 to get BC they would have done it. That's not the case. Though I'm not a computer engineer to argue otherwise.

That would've been interesting, too bad they could not get it working, then the Cell could take the place of the current co-processor that is used for downloads/video recording.

If they made a PS system that played all 4 PS systems i would buy it for sure. Add in vita and PSP support and it would be amazing. This could be like a special PS legends edition or something that is $500 or so. All PS games of all time playable on 1 system? I can't tell you how awesome that is.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Roronaa_chan said:
No, I have a PS3 and as long as it doesn't break i'm never going to get rid of it

Close thread.

Lastgengamer said:
darkknightkryta said:

That would've been interesting, too bad they could not get it working, then the Cell could take the place of the current co-processor that is used for downloads/video recording.

Yeah I'm actually thinking it's a ram issue.  In the article I read he brings up that pieces for the PS3 are very old and are becoming difficult to get manufactured.  It's probably why Sony hasn't been able to get the price of the PS3 down.  He did say they could make Cell without issue however.