By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Trouble with Wii U Port of Mighty No. 9?

padib said:
HollyGamer said:

Because one is exclusive hand made and the other heavily dependant on graphic engine (unreal 4), try to compare Assassins creed Unity with Uncharted 4 graphic, you understand the difference on quality of multyplatform games and exclusive games, still there is nothing bad with Mighty No 9 graphic whatsoever.

I don't think they look bad at all. I just think one looks far superior and much more difficult to make, but I understand what you're saying about the engine.

I think they probably would have had a better time on Unity, I'm not sure UE3 was really optimized for the U. (It's developed on UE3 not 4).

Samus Aran said:

Nope don't know, but TW101 looks a lot better... I really don't know what people see in this game. It's ugly and I mean ugly to the core: the art style is so bland. You can see how many times they re-use assets in the background, it looks like placeholder stuff. Not to mention TW101 is in 3D and has lot's of action on screen. 

People have given Devil's Third a hard time for its graphics, but that game looks a lot better than this even. 

It seems a bit generic, but it's an idie game, aren't you exaggerating a bit?

Nope, I just have high standards because I hate playing games I deem ugly (and weak consoles can create beautiful games, just look at The Minish Cap, Zero Mission or the original Yoshi's Island) The only indie games I'm currently interested in, Yooka-Laylee and Fast Racing Neo, attest to that.

Around the Network
ARamdomGamer said:
padib said:

It seems a bit generic, but it's an idie game, aren't you exaggerating a bit?

This is also an indie game:

And it looks great, also with like a 200 thousand dollars budget compared to the 3 millions of Mighty.

This is what a great art direction can do to a "cheap" game. Kudos to those devs.

padib said:
Samus Aran said:

This is what a great art direction can do to a "cheap" game. Kudos to those devs.

The art direction is more interesting, that is my personal taste, but the graphics are not better than mighty no. 9. I think anyway that OP is about the specs of the U and art direction typically doesn't have an impact on specs and complexity as far as I know.

Art style is part of the graphics and Shantea appealed to me much more visually.

It's not like anyone actually believes this game can't run on Wii U, it's not demanding in the slightest. I think the OP is over-reading that tweet btw, I'm just talking about my opinion on Mighty No. 9 now. :p

I just find it strange that people who game mainly on PS4 or xbone think this game looks gorgeous...

ARamdomGamer said:

Super Mario Maker launches like 4 days earlier than Mighty.

You are 100% right and gave me one MORE reason to hate that stupid Super Mario Maker game. Thanks?

spemanig said:
I mean, it's pretty ugly on all systems.

I hate to agree with you but you're right. The game looks seriously disappointing. It looks they made the models half way and then just said fuck it, i'm done.

Now if they're that lazy with the visuals then I wonder how good this game will be overall.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:

This is the kind of stupid bad press the console gets since day 1

How in the seven hells could they have problems with a game that is even running on 3ds and Vita? It looks like a GameCube game on HD, jesus...

Don´t say "because the specs", because that has NOTHING to do, say the real problem and stop spreading shit.

And this time we all know this is bullshit bercause you only need to see the game, but who knows how many times developers have used the underpowered argument as an excuse for their complete incompetence or their lack of interest to port the game to wiiu, this time is pretty obvious, but if the game was a bit more good looking then all the people will blame wiiu hardware.

Maybe they say that because the specs are the problem.

Last I checked, they were using UE3, which I am pretty sure is not optimized for the wii u, giving the game a handicap already. How were they trying to circumvent this issue, by just having the cpu make up for the loss, but as we all know, the Wii u cpu is on par or slightly worse than the PS3 and Xbox 360. "But the Wii u has a couple of prettier gamez!" This is mostly because their gpu is not completely trash, but the gpu isn't enough to make up for the low performance of the cpu. "But the game is also coming out for 3ds!" And it will look similar but nowhere near the console version (just look at the different lego city versions).

if it were 4-5 devs trashing the Wii u specs, I would agree with you, but every third party dev that is not in direct coordination with Nintendo has agreed that the specs are awful. Slightly mad studios was the last dev to support the Wii u specs, and even they realized they were wrong.

I marvel at the fact that sooo many people think a developers job is easy and that not porting a game is an act of laziness and incompetence (instead of a business decision given third party performance on the Wii u). It was an act of incompetence for Nintendo to give the Wii u an awful cpu in the first place. Nintendo dug themselves into a hole, and you're expecting third parties to help them out of it.

and speaking of an hd gamecube game, have you seen starfox zero?

I've not really paid much attention to Mighty No.9... After seeing all this hate aimed at the game, and the slating of the graphics, I thought I'd check out why it seems so bad...

So I did, and I must say, it looks really good to me on the trailer and gameplay I saw, I'm baffled as to why there's so much anger and hate? Is this a case of people jumping on the bandwagon? I don't get it?

KingCherry said:
I've not really paid much attention to Mighty No.9... After seeing all this hate aimed at the game, and the slating of the graphics, I thought I'd check out why it seems so bad...

So I did, and I must say, it looks really good to me on the trailer and gameplay I saw, I'm baffled as to why there's so much anger and hate? Is this a case of people jumping on the bandwagon? I don't get it?

It looks good to me.

people are just afraid that the Wii u version is gonna get canned or perform awfully compared to the other consoles, so they try to bash the visuals of the game while forgetting that the Wii u was never made for good visuals (just look at star fox zero and Devils third for graphical monstrosities)

midrange said:
Goodnightmoon said:

This is the kind of stupid bad press the console gets since day 1

How in the seven hells could they have problems with a game that is even running on 3ds and Vita? It looks like a GameCube game on HD, jesus...

Don´t say "because the specs", because that has NOTHING to do, say the real problem and stop spreading shit.

And this time we all know this is bullshit bercause you only need to see the game, but who knows how many times developers have used the underpowered argument as an excuse for their complete incompetence or their lack of interest to port the game to wiiu, this time is pretty obvious, but if the game was a bit more good looking then all the people will blame wiiu hardware.

Last I checked, they were using UE3, which I am pretty sure is not optimized for the wii u, giving the game a handicap already. How were they trying to circumvent this issue, by just having the cpu make up for the loss, but as we all know, the Wii u cpu is on par or slightly worse than the PS3 and Xbox 360. "But the Wii u has a couple of prettier gamez!" This is mostly because their gpu is not completely trash, but the gpu isn't enough to make up for the low performance of the cpu. "But the game is also coming out for 3ds!" And it will look similar but nowhere near the console version (just look at the different lego city versions).

if it were 4-5 devs trashing the Wii u specs, I would agree with you, but every third party dev that is not in direct coordination with Nintendo has agreed that the specs are awful. Slightly mad studios was the last dev to support the Wii u specs, and even they realized they were wrong.

I marvel at the fact that sooo many people think a developers job is easy and that not porting a game is an act of laziness and incompetence (instead of a business decision given third party performance on the Wii u). It was an act of incompetence for Nintendo to give the Wii u an awful cpu in the first place. Nintendo dug themselves into a hole, and you're expecting third parties to help them out of it.

Bayonetta 1 & 2
Mario Kart 8
Smash Bros 4
Mario 3D world
Yoshi Woolly World
DK tropical freeze
Batman Arkham City
Captain Toad
Kirby Rainbow Curse 
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Need For Speed Most wanted
Pikmin 3
Mass Effect 3
Splatoon
Deus Ex Human Revolution
CoD Black ops 2/ ghost
Fatal Frame 5
Trine 2
Fast racing neo

Etc Etc Etc

All those games have like 5 times better graphics  than Mighty No 9

So "WiiU have a couple of prettier gamez" is bullshit, in fact, the majority of WiiU games have better graphics than MN9, so yeah, I don´t believe them with that "it´s because the specs" shit, they didn´t say anything about the ps3/x360 version and those are overall inferior machines with a very similar cpu.

Goodnightmoon said:
midrange said:

Bayonetta 1 & 2
Mario Kart 8
Smash Bros 4
Mario 3D world
Yoshi Woolly World
DK tropical freeze
Batman Arkham City
Captain Toad
Kirby Rainbow Curse 
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Need For Speed Most wanted
Pikmin 3
Mass Effect 3
Splatoon
Deus Ex Human Revolution
CoD Black ops 2/ ghost
Fatal Frame 5
Trine 2
Fast racing neo

Etc Etc Etc

All those games have like 5 times better graphics  than Mighty No 9

So "WiiU have a couple of prettier gamez" is bullshit, in fact, the majority of WiiU games have better graphics than MN9, so yeah, I don´t believe them with that "it´s because the specs" shit, they didn´t say anything about the ps3/x360 version and those are overall inferior machines with a very similar cpu.

More than half of the games you mentioned are developed by Nintendo or aided by Nintendo. Of course those games are gonna look pretty when you have the actual console maker there to help you squeeze out better performance for your game.

Have you ever considered the fact that most of those games have built a custom engine for the Wii u to be able to play them? Custom engines are great because the squeeze benefits from the customized wii u. Unreal Engine 3 has probably not been optimized for the Wii u as it has for the PS3 and Xbox 360. The only people who have used UE3 on the Wii u either dropped support (Warner bros) or continue to make games with bad graphics (Devils third).

pretty games can be a factor of gpu performance, not cpu performance. Just like how mario kart 8 drop in frame rate with more than two people, the more computations that the cpu has to deal with, the less it can focus on performance (lowering the fps). Slightly mad studios as an example said that their game looks great, mostly because their resolution is where it needs to be (thanks to a semi-decent gpu), it was the fps that was killer (thanks to a poor cpu).

Way to look at possibilities and facts before calling a dev ignorant and lazy. Clearly every other third party is plotting a conspiracy against Nintendo.