By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Reason Why Nintendo Can't Get 3rd Party Games

Pavolink said:
Stellar_Fungk said:
Pavolink said:
Stellar_Fungk said:
But if Nintendo had 3rd parties + 1st party games, wouldn't then Nintendo have monopoly in this industry? Does third parties really want that?

No. Nintendo's practices were not good and many will better support only PC before releasing their games on Nintendo platforms.

Sorry, I didn't understand what you mean 100%. Could you explain more detailed?

What I mean, is that third parties wouldn't like that to happen. They don't want another NIntendo's monopoly (like NES, SNES era) were they had bad practices. Third parties didn't have good relations with NIntendo, and they better stop supporting consoles and focus solely on PC, than supporting Nintendo platforms.

Okay, then this is the real reason why Nintendo home consoles won't get third party support. In that case, Nintendo home consoles will never get third party support and people should accept that. If people can accept that and move on, they won't get disappointed when NX launches.

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Devs are not going to port their games regardless of power because there's no audience that will buy their games. It will be just a waste of time. If Nintendo wants those third parties, not only power will be needed, but they must be commitent to build an installbase willing to buy those kind of games.

Power and launch time was the issue. Nintendo needs to prepare the hardware before they launch so the third parties can prepare the games. When they made the Wii and Wii U, they made it despite the existence of third party  (So really all they got were really bad downports and exclusives). The install base comes when/where the games are available. It was too late for the Wii U from the start. You cannot just make the hardware and expect the devs to downport almost to last gen level when they told you they wouldnt.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Pavolink said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Devs are not going to port their games regardless of power because there's no audience that will buy their games. It will be just a waste of time. If Nintendo wants those third parties, not only power will be needed, but they must be commitent to build an installbase willing to buy those kind of games.

Power and launch time was the issue. Nintendo needs to prepare the hardware before they launch so the third parties can prepare the games. When they made the Wii and Wii U, they made it despite the existence of third party  (So really all they got were really bad downports and exclusives). The install base comes when/where the games are available. It was too late for the Wii U from the start. You cannot just make the hardware and expect the devs to downport almost to last gen level when they told you they wouldnt.

Power alone won't make third parties port their games. Wii U has western devs games and didn't sell good. Even on launch. AC audience was not there on Wii U because audience prefered to buy games like 3D World and The Wind Waker HD.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Pavolink said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Power alone won't make third parties port their games. Wii U has western devs games and didn't sell good. Even on launch. AC audience was not there on Wii U because audience prefered to buy games like 3D World and The Wind Waker HD.

Ugh.....i'll explain it to you in an easier way. Microsoft lost their first generation in such a bad way that they took it personally against Sony. They realized third party are the most powerful treasure in the console business. Without third party you more often than not will lose(under legitimate circumstances). Microsoft made their hardware early enough to launch a year ahead of Sony (without finishing R&D) and rushed it out so they could woo third party away from exclusivity with Sony. Once they did this the multiplat gamers saw them first and jumped ship. Once Sony screwed up their pricing announcement more gamers jumped ship to Microsoft because essentially they were offering essentially the same catalogue sans exclusives.

Thats how much third party matters. Microsoft risked RROD just to get them to come over to their console to have a shot at being competitive.

You see...if Nintendo creates the hardware to benefit both the third party and themselves (if its built to that purpose), it will have far more success than the Wii U. As I've said before, this generation is not over. Nintendo still has a lot of gamers that they can pick up that havent jumped ship from last gen. There are a lot of gamers who would buy a console that has Nintendo exclusives as well as the same wealth of exclusives on a yearly basis that Sony and Microsoft are getting. 

Third party are done with last gen powerwise and they have been since before this gen started. They only kept the last gen going because of money. Now that the current gens showing signs of healthy profits they are willing to let go of last gen for good (lucky for those of us who own next gen consoles).  They dont have to pay for dual development any longer.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Ugh.....i'll explain it to you in an easier way. Microsoft lost their first generation in such a bad way that they took it personally against Sony. They realized third party are the most powerful treasure in the console business. Without third party you more often than not will lose(under legitimate circumstances). Microsoft made their hardware early enough to launch a year ahead of Sony (without finishing R&D) and rushed it out so they could woo third party away from exclusivity with Sony. Once they did this the multiplat gamers saw them first and jumped ship. Once Sony screwed up their pricing announcement more gamers jumped ship to Microsoft because essentially they were offering essentially the same catalogue sans exclusives.

Thats how much third party matters. Microsoft risked RROD just to get them to come over to their console to have a shot at being competitive.

You see...if Nintendo creates the hardware to benefit both the third party and themselves (if its built to that purpose), it will have far more success than the Wii U. As I've said before, this generation is not over. Nintendo still has a lot of gamers that they can pick up that havent jumped ship from last gen. There are a lot of gamers who would buy a console that has Nintendo exclusives as well as the same wealth of exclusives on a yearly basis that Sony and Microsoft are getting. 

Third party are done with last gen powerwise and they have been since before this gen started. They only kept the last gen going because of money. Now that the current gens showing signs of healthy profits they are willing to let go of last gen for good (lucky for those of us who own next gen consoles).  They dont have to pay for dual development any longer.

Don't explain to me. You simply don't understand. This is not a "Nintendo, put a powerful machine and I will port my games" situation. Power was the problem last gen when third parties wanted to port to every toaster because high budgets and Wii was not capable of running even the title screen. This is more about an audience problem and the third party audience is already in another castle.

The third party audience buy the console that have another third parties games. The audience that buys Assassins Creed is willing to buy GTA, COD, Fifa and maybe another minor titles, but as long as Nintendo doesn't have all those games people won't jump to Nintendo consoles. Now, why would I buy a Nintendo console for GTA and COD if I'm not interested in Nintendo's first party output? No insentive to buy that device rather than Sony and MS offerings because I can buy not only those games, but also exclusives that are in the same vein of the third parties, like Horizon, Uncharted, Killzone, Forza, and Halo.

Your MS example fails in the moment we mention GameCube, a powerful console capable of running third party games, and that didn't guarantee third party support. Nintendo has to do more than just putting ram and a powerful radeon chip. They need to invest in a library that caters to certain audience, convince them to buy third party games, convive third party developers and publishers to invest in the console, but all of them or at least the bigger ones. Ubisoft, EA, Bethesda, Namco, Square Enix, etc. Partial support won't add anything.

Ubisoft - Wii U situation has done more damage to this cycle. It's time to accept that Nintendo needs a lot to gather third parties and it's pretty clear with their output that they are not interested.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Don't explain to me. You simply don't understand. This is not a "Nintendo, put a powerful machine and I will port my games" situation. Power was the problem last gen when third parties wanted to port to every toaster because high budgets and Wii was not capable of running even the title screen. This is more about an audience problem and the third party audience is already in another castle.

The third party audience buy the console that have another third parties games. The audience that buys Assassins Creed is willing to buy GTA, COD, Fifa and maybe another minor titles, but as long as Nintendo doesn't have all those games people won't jump to Nintendo consoles. Now, why would I buy a Nintendo console for GTA and COD if I'm not interested in Nintendo's first party output? No insentive to buy that device rather than Sony and MS offerings because I can buy not only those games, but also exclusives that are in the same vein of the third parties, like Horizon, Uncharted, Killzone, Forza, and Halo.

Your MS example fails in the moment we mention GameCube, a powerful console capable of running third party games, and that didn't guarantee third party support. Nintendo has to do more than just putting ram and a powerful radeon chip. They need to invest in a library that caters to certain audience, convince them to buy third party games, convive third party developers and publishers to invest in the console, but all of them or at least the bigger ones. Ubisoft, EA, Bethesda, Namco, Square Enix, etc. Partial support won't add anything.

Ubisoft - Wii U situation has done more damage to this cycle. It's time to accept that Nintendo needs a lot to gather third parties and it's pretty clear with their output that they are not interested.

I already answered you on where the audience was, bro. I stated the gen has only begun. Sony is in the 20 million plus range and Microsoft isn't even there yet. Nintendo has plenty of room to jump in because this will be a long generation. Nintendo needs to make their move soon so people can take notice and I would suggest that they pay close attention to the holidays. Nintendo loyalists will jump ship, because its Nintendo and the multiplat gamers can still be gathered.

Nintendo didnt get third party games on the gamecube because DVD's trump mini-discs. Sony was the format leader and had amassed politically most of the exclusive third party wealth. I explained to you how Microsoft proved they were a viable option for third party to break the exclusivity hold. They made a great effort at the expense of many of their gamers to get third party and cut Sony's shot at winning the generation in half (literally).

Microsoft proved its possible if you take a little risk. Nintendo just makes things seem impossible. That was the point, because Microsoft was in the same position with fewer third party like Nintendo.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Pavolink said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I already answered you on where the audience was, bro. I stated the gen has only begun. Sony is in the 20 million plus range and Microsoft isn't even there yet. Nintendo has plenty of room to jump in because this will be a long generation. Nintendo needs to make their move soon so people can take notice and I would suggest that they pay close attention to the holidays. Nintendo loyalists will jump ship, because its Nintendo and the multiplat gamers can still be gathered.

Nintendo didnt get third party games on the gamecube because DVD's trump mini-discs. Sony was the format leader and had amassed politically most of the exclusive third party wealth. I explained to you how Microsoft proved they were a viable option for third party to break the exclusivity hold. They made a great effort at the expense of many of their gamers to get third party and cut Sony's shot at winning the generation in half (literally).

Microsoft proved its possible if you take a little risk. Nintendo just makes things seem impossible. That was the point, because Microsoft was in the same position with fewer third party like Nintendo.

Of course they can get, but they need to do all of what I mentioned before, not only a powerful machine. Also, 360 has DVD and PS3 blue ray, so the format is not the problem. I think there are even GameCube games with 2 minidiscs.

The 360 was at the right moment when third parties were avid to port to everything. Wii being at least as powerful as 360 would have helped to get third party support at the beggining, and maybe a future support depending on the sales. But unfortunately, that didn't happend and third party developed games according to the audience as we saw some examples as Dead Space Extraction because RE Umbrella Chronicles or Just Dance because Wii Sports success.

I'm not closed minded, I mean, Monster Hunter fanbase went from PSP to 3DS and Dragon Quest from PS2 to DS and 3DS, but those are exclusives, not multiplatforms.

And more important is the management. As long as Iwata is at the head, Nintendo won't put effort to get western support.

Pavolink said:

Of course they can get, but they need to do all of what I mentioned before, not only a powerful machine. Also, 360 has DVD and PS3 blue ray, so the format is not the problem. I think there are even GameCube games with 2 minidiscs.

The 360 was at the right moment when third parties were avid to port to everything. Wii being at least as powerful as 360 would have helped to get third party support at the beggining, and maybe a future support depending on the sales. But unfortunately, that didn't happend and third party developed games according to the audience as we saw some examples as Dead Space Extraction because RE Umbrella Chronicles or Just Dance because Wii Sports success.

I'm not closed minded, I mean, Monster Hunter fanbase went from PSP to 3DS and Dragon Quest from PS2 to DS and 3DS, but those are exclusives, not multiplatforms.

And more important is the management. As long as Iwata is at the head, Nintendo won't put effort to get western support.

I will agree with you on this point with Iwata. Screw Iwata. Nintendo needs newer leadership that isnt afraid of western politics, but can still understand the value of their moral code that Nintendo brings ot the industry.

Heavenly_King said:
marley said:

And yet: http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=&publisher=&platform=GC&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

The gamecube got 3rd party games.  So your point is?

My point is Nintendo still completely dominated software and 3rd party was left with the scraps.  Part of the reason why Nintendo can't get 3rd parties - Nintendo gamers buy Nintendo games.  Why should 3rd parties continue creating unsuccessful games for Nintendo when they can be very successful elsewhere?

Nintendo do not get 3rd party games because people on Nintendo consoles only buy Nintendo games. A dev would be silly to risk millions of pounds to put a game on a console that is not selling well.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st