By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Source: NX "Is Definitely Not Aiming To Compete With PS4 On Horsepower"

Tlozjb said:
There is only 3 ways this could be true :v This is a handheld, the fusion concept, or that the console i indeed not looking to compete in power with the PS4, it goes further than that, and is way more powerful than the PS4, because there is no way that a console weaker than the PS4 got good feedback from 3rd parties at E3 the only way for that to be possible, is if this would be a handheld.

If it removes gimmicks and more dev friendly architecture. It would have better 3rd party support regardless of specs

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

There's probably some large type of gimmick with the machine. Nintendo's own comments repeatedly state they want to "surprise" gamers and this is a "new concept".

Most people dismissed the news that Sharp would be making free-form shaped LCDs for Nintendo about a year ago as being some for QoL, but now I'm starting to think that is for the NX. Maybe it has an unconventionally shaped screen(s) is . 

So. Much. This. I've been thinking that Nintendo is probably using this "free-form screen" for the NX, but no one is talking about it. It would make so much sense for this to be the case.

Miguel_Zorro said:
I really hope Nintendo does compete on power. The console is coming out 3 years later. It should be at least as powerful as the PS4, if not more powerful. It also needs a system architecture that makes it easy for 3rd parties to program on. Nintendo isn't going to thrive on 1st party games alone.

The Wii sold like gangbusters. If you take it out of the equation, every Nintendo home console from the Super Nintendo through to the WiiU has sold less than the one before it. Nintendo needs to make a splash with their next home console.

Well the Wii was the only really big successful console that Nintendo has had in 20 years or so, and was maybe a 50% performance increase over the GameCube. So from that POV it probably isn't much of a shock they will try the gimmick approach again. I think this time it will be aimed more at kids than casuals though, Nintendo knows casuals are all smartphone crazy now, but they may still have a shot at a new generation of kids. 

It may also simply be Nintendo getting so frustrated with the console market that they simply decided to make the handheld function as a console basically. We've reached the point today where that is easily possibly from a tech level. You just won't get PS4 graphics, but I think Nintendo also has a bone to pick with that too -- they don't want PS4 level budgets for their games. 

From a game maker's POV I can sort of see the logic ... they're selling the same number of games generation to generation, but the development cost of them gets higher and higher, meaning less and less profit. It's a cycle that Nintendo likely doesn't want to perpetuate. 

Im sick of this nx stuff, wiiu hasnt even been out long. Way to kill the buzz

I am pretty sure the NX will be a handheld that can play wii u and 3ds games on the tv or off. And is not Nintendos next gen console but just a way to link the two systems like they have been saying. It probably will be no more powerful than wii u

Around the Network

Plus it would make sense if they mean what they say when they say the wont abandon the wii u or 3ds

Is it going to compete with the PS4 at anything at all?

Roronaa_chan said:

It's likely portable centric so probably not. That said I wouldn't mind a portable on par with the Wii U that also plays games on the TV. 

well then i guess the fusion concept of a console/handheld is really possible now, i mean it would make sense that a "portable console" wouldnt be as powerful as an actual console.

Soundwave said:
Roronaa_chan said:

It's likely portable centric so probably not. That said I wouldn't mind a portable on par with the Wii U that also plays games on the TV. 

I think it will be more powerful than Wii U, stronger CPU, more RAM, beter GPU.