By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Source: NX "Is Definitely Not Aiming To Compete With PS4 On Horsepower"

RolStoppable said:
The general who chooses the battlefield wisely, can win the battle in advance.

On battlefield "mobile+handheld+console" then :p. Nintendo can hardly aim to small at this point.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Don´t know if the source is right but I´m expecting this and people should be expecting this.

They are aiming for a very cheap console that will probably be a handheld and a homeconsole at the same time.

People saying that will not get third party support because of this... yeah because underpowered consoles never get any third party support, run and tell that to the 3DS xD

honestly i don't knwo what third party games you talking about on 3DS. Is the system getting games in the US and perhaps EUR that AUS is missing out? Last decent third party game i remember is RE Revelations. 

Australia may be slightly different but here in the States, 3rd party support is pretty solid, here are some of the 3rd party releases for 3DS in the last 12 months.

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright

Theatrythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call

Cooking Mama 5: Bon Apetite!

FIFA 15

Skylanders Trap Team

Tenkai Knights: Brave Battle

Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2

Fantasy Life

Power Rangers Super MegaForce

Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal

Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth

SpongeBob HeroPants

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Story of Season

Lego Ninjago: Shadow of Ronin

Etrain Mystery Dungeon

Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker

Attack on Titan: Humanity in Chains

Lego Jurassic World

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

RolStoppable said:
shikamaru317 said:
Sigh, if this is true Nintendo won't get 3rd parties yet again, and that means I probably won't be interested in it.

This is a completely logical statement.

Fixed that for you. XD.

Will they ever learn? I hope they don't flop again. If they do then there's a big chance they'd go mobile only or something :|

Around the Network
penguin10916 said:
Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:
Roronaa_chan said:
Is it going to compete with the PS4 at anything at all?

It's likely portable centric so probably not. That said I wouldn't mind a portable on par with the Wii U that also plays games on the TV. 

I think it will be more powerful than Wii U, stronger CPU, more RAM, beter GPU.

Considering that the Wii U's CPU is a tricore 750cxe (G3 for mac users), and the GPU is equivalent to a Radeon HD4870, it's definitely possible. I was just looking at the specs of the Cortex A72, http://www.vrworld.com/2015/04/27/arms-cortex-a72-to-rival-intel-core-m-cpu/. The Core M based Macbook has benchmarked about the same as a 2011 Macbook Air meaning that the processor is probably within the range of a 2010/2011 Core 2 Duo. The A72 is slightly weaker, in regards to total performance, but that places it around a 2008/2009 Core 2 Duo. However, it's worth noting that the comparison is core vs core, and ARM has no problem stacking 8 or more cores on a single chip.

With that said, if Nintendo were to use two, octa-core Coretx A72s in their next handheld, with at least 2GB of DDR4L ram, and a GPU equivalent to the Radeon r7 250, which isn't all that much weaker than what's in the PS4 and Xbox One, with 1 to 2 GB of GDDR5. This, paired with a 720p, 5" ips display would easily create a handheld comparable to the current consoles. The power draw would be fairly minimal, resulting in a battery life of around 4 to 5 hours, and it'd be able to easily 'match' the NX console version. 

I dont think its just traditional handheld, more like hybrid, some sort of handheld that plays games on TV too.

I say better AMD or ARM cpu (much more user friendly than PPC), around 4GB of Ram and slightly bitter and modern GPU, that would make big difference vs Wii U hardware and enough power for 1080p Nintendo games (Nintendo already on Wii U have Zelda WW HD and Smash Bros. in 1080p) and at least 720p for curent third party games.

Miyamotoo said:
penguin10916 said:
Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:
Roronaa_chan said:
Is it going to compete with the PS4 at anything at all?

It's likely portable centric so probably not. That said I wouldn't mind a portable on par with the Wii U that also plays games on the TV. 

I think it will be more powerful than Wii U, stronger CPU, more RAM, beter GPU.

Considering that the Wii U's CPU is a tricore 750cxe (G3 for mac users), and the GPU is equivalent to a Radeon HD4870, it's definitely possible. I was just looking at the specs of the Cortex A72, http://www.vrworld.com/2015/04/27/arms-cortex-a72-to-rival-intel-core-m-cpu/. The Core M based Macbook has benchmarked about the same as a 2011 Macbook Air meaning that the processor is probably within the range of a 2010/2011 Core 2 Duo. The A72 is slightly weaker, in regards to total performance, but that places it around a 2008/2009 Core 2 Duo. However, it's worth noting that the comparison is core vs core, and ARM has no problem stacking 8 or more cores on a single chip.

With that said, if Nintendo were to use two, octa-core Coretx A72s in their next handheld, with at least 2GB of DDR4L ram, and a GPU equivalent to the Radeon r7 250, which isn't all that much weaker than what's in the PS4 and Xbox One, with 1 to 2 GB of GDDR5. This, paired with a 720p, 5" ips display would easily create a handheld comparable to the current consoles. The power draw would be fairly minimal, resulting in a battery life of around 4 to 5 hours, and it'd be able to easily 'match' the NX console version. 

I dont think its just traditional handheld, more like hybrid, some sort of handheld that plays games on TV too.

I say better AMD or ARM cpu (much more user friendly than PPC), around 4GB of Ram and slightly bitter and modern GPU, that would make big difference vs Wii U hardware and enough power for 1080p Nintendo games (Nintendo already on Wii U have Zelda WW HD and Smash Bros. in 1080p) and at least 720p for curent third party games.

Well, if Nintendo wanted to throw a curve ball, they could reach out to AMD to develop a custom, ARM based processed based on the ARM based Opterons coming out. From what I understand, they're based on the A57 (currently) and highly efficient. Also, RAM prices seem steady and ARM processors are cheap... not to mention the hybrid option gives them a lot of possibilities- ie, set amount of power in the handheld, with the base having it's own, equivalent power that then combine when the handheld is docked with the base. Also, with AMD graphics, they could use Crossfire in that scenario, and the combined power could be used to provide higher resolutions and higher graphical detail. 

Of course not, why would you release a handheld device that is more powerful than a PS4?

Kuksenkov said:
Of course not, why would you release a handheld device that is more powerful than a PS4?

The PS4 is actually rather weak... even by the standards of computing at the time of release... a lot of things have changed since it's release, and the changes are only coming faster. By 2016, it'll be feasible to create a handheld that is equal to, if not more powerful than the PS4 especially considering that strides made by both ARM and Intel to create processors that are more powerful while also being far more power efficient than before. 

MohammadBadir said:
Will they ever learn?

If Nintendo really wanted to attempt to recapture that certain market, they would have came with much more powerful hardware for Wii U.  With the last gen so exhausted, Nintendo could have taken advantage of that 1 yr head start.  Its obvious now that they won't be going that route any time soon.  I suspect Nintendo doesn't want to aim any of its bullets toward Sony, because Microsoft is the far bigger (financial) threat to take over the industry.  Nintendo will let Sony fight them while staying in their own lane, for better or worse.

If MS were to exit the industry, it would change everything, we'd see a much more competitive Nintendo as they wouldn't "let" sony control the entire 3rd party landscape.  Nintendo can compete with Sony financially toe to toe, if necessary.  Its MS that scares the daylights out of lil nintendo...

So whoever has  this dream of Nintendo returning to glory, has to hope for a Sony slaughter enough to  humbly push MS  out of the home console biz.