By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Source: NX "Is Definitely Not Aiming To Compete With PS4 On Horsepower"

Maybe that just means it really is some kind of portable? Mayyyybe? Please? T___T

Around the Network
mountaindewslave said:
tokilamockingbrd said:
oh gawd. Will Nintendo ever learn. Generally, people don't want to buy a product when they know the product sitting right next to it is more powerful.

Nintendo is trying to recreate the Wii again it seems. They could succeed, but the odds are against them.

they will certainly suceed to some degree if they handheld / console markets are combined- all they need to do is make some Mario, Pokemon, Fire Emblem games and pull in their handheld market and a lot of them will get the home and portable consoles just for  common sense of being able to play their games anywhere

I do agree though that it is a bit naive from Nintendo to think long term they can skate by without bringing top of the line graphics. what makes it more awkward is that console graphics (PS4 / Xbox One) are sooo far behind even average priced gaming computers and Nintendo has been considerably behind the other consoles which means that Nintendo's systems have been trailing by a monumentous amount in terms of specs

obviously graphics aren't everything but you don't expect to be like a decade lagging in the department. invest the money! don't be cheap, that's my advice to Nintendo. spend the money while you have it

That's an absolutely false statement. PS4 and XB1 are comparable to $400-$50 PC's which can be considered average priced computers. So they are nowhere near being soo far behind PC's as you say.

spemanig said:
zorg1000 said:

It's not really up for debate, games like Xenoblade/Bayonetta are not Nintendo's primary concern in terms of games they develop/publish, they make up maybe 10% of Nintendo's output.

Of course it's not up for debate. The entire structure of their current console landscape contradicts you. The way they build their consoles. The way they build their games. I never said they were good at it, but is a primary focus. They may not have an onslaught of first party Bayonetta's, but the machine was definitely built to have them.

The way they build their games supports that games like Bayonetta are a primary focus? That makes no sense. We have been talking about Nintendo's own output this whole time so 3rd parties aren't relevant to this discussion.

Saying goes games like Bayonetta is the primary focus of Nintendo is like saying games such as Tearaway are Sony's primary concern despite games like Killzone, Infamous, Uncharted, God of War, Gran Turismo, Horizon out numbering them by a significant margin.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Never learning from the same mistakes I see? Why go on...

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

Interesting that many believes (naively) that problem between Nintendo and third parties will be solved by power.
Anyway, in line with rumors and Iwata hints.

My thoughts in regards on the NX:

The NX family will be a very modern machine, not powerful (as many uses both terms as if they means the same thing) as the PS4 because is intended to do something else. The main attractive feature will be the shared OS and library. It will feel more Apple/mobile than a traditional console in the way that it will truly feels like a bridge between the mobile market and the traditional one.

Regardless of power, the NX will be very capable of produce great looking games like Xenoblade X and Mario Kart 8. It will be very dev friendly, even mobile devs will be able to easily ports their games to the device. I suspect the OS will be something clean, simple and easy to navigate.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

We were talking about Nintendo handhelds, so where does "only going to buy casual games and Nintendo titles" even come from? Stuff like JRPGs and other longliving series have always sold well enough. There wasn't any good reason for concern that games wouldn't sell. As for the other portion of that paragraph of yours, growing comfortably beyond the sales numbers of the Wii U with a me-too approach wasn't likely because the GC already struggled big time at lower price points. Additionally (and this goes for your second paragraph), a third place finish isn't good enough. Why should Nintendo be satisfied with such a result? Likewise, the goal for NX can't be to merely outsell the Wii U. NX (the home console variant alone) needs to sell multiple times more than the Wii U. Nintendo has to have the ambition to clearly outdo their results for the eighth generation.

The main reason why the Xbox brand grew last generation is that Sony messed up really hard. We are seeing very different results this generation where Microsoft is basically a non-factor outside of the USA and the UK, and even in their strongest markets they are forced to undercut the PS4 just to keep up. If success for Microsoft requires a Sony that messes up really hard, then this in turn means that success for Nintendo with a me-too approach would require both Sony and Microsoft to mess up; because if only one of them messes up, the other will be the first choice as alternative, so there won't be much left for Nintendo. Placing your bets on factors that are completely outside of your control is an asinine business decision. It's like building your entire strategy in a football match around the hope that the other team scores an own goal while you park the bus for the entire game; well, except that in football the chance for success would still be higher than in the video game business.

Oh thought we were talking about early expectations of the Wii U. With the 3DS its even more simple, they weren't making games for the handheld market and instead of investing into exclusive 3DS experiences which would be out of their comfort zones, costly and a risk. They'd rather focus on consoles where they could maximise they're profits with exitsing successful franchises in their existing aesthetic/game design, with money going towards DLC, ports, bigger dev teams/faster development etc. You mention JRPGs and I'd add platformers, both would do well on 3DS but what western studios are making those on any platform? The games that were well suited for the 3DS like lego etc actually came to the platformand 3DS has plenty of JRPGs in Japan and support from square and capcom, so I don't see any anti-nintendo sentiment there. Where exactly did you expect support and not see it?

With the me too approach, if you feel that the gamepad was a better system seller in 2012 then a console vastly more powerful then the PS3/360, I won't argue with that (I obviously disagree), but I will just reinforce that said approach would have/will likely be more effective in 2012 or 2017, then it was in 2001 where the most powerful devs had already signed allegiance to PS2, developing exclusively for the platform from day one and ignoring both the gamecube and xbox. The highest selling games of the generations; GTA, Tekken, Metal gear solid, Final Fantasy and Kingdom hearts either never touched the other platforms or arrived on them well after the PS2 had already semented its dominance. That is simply not how third parties operate in todays industry, especially with the cost of development being so high. Beyond that the gamecube arrived a year after the market leader, 2012 woud have been the reverse and so will the arrival of the NX, both instances Nintendo has the headstart. Imagine the Xbox 360 arrived a year after the PS3, it would've been a completely different story. 360 of course benefitted from sony messing up  but that wasn't the only reason why the xbox brand grew. Solidifying an 6m audience and third party support before the arrival of the PS3 certainly helped.

Finally, if Nintendo have a plan which will boost the sales of their console to multple times that of the Wii U then great, that would imply a gimmick , I can't think of one they could easily sell and gimmicks often involves their own costs, like the gamepad or VR. My point is that simply being a cheap Nintendo console will not earn them sales multiple times that of the Wii U, it will not earn them anything more then what the gamecube earned them. If people were interested in secondary consoles just to play mario and zelda, gamecube at $99 would have sold 30m+.

At least if the system is capable, like the gamecube, there is potential for them to consolidate their core audience (18m-22m core Nintendo fans) whilst trying  entice fringe fans like myself who would take Mario/Zelda over Uncharted or Halo but then Final Fantasy/Mass Effect/Eldercrolls/Battlefront (essentially 3rd party support) over Mario/Zelda. They could try to eat into the PS5/X2 pie as NX will launch first, getting a headstart (unlike the gamecube) and benifit by other favourable changes in the industry like aligned architecture (unlike 2001), and the reality of devs having a system where they can easily port superior PC versions of their games to (unlike the Wii U) in 2017/18 when the PS4/X1 are highly dated. Worst case scenario Nintendo would be in the same position they're in with a $199 box, low selling but profitable hardware, at no point am I implying that Nintendo should sell at a loss btw. But it is what it is, all hypothetical and informed by perception bias... Nintendo can go any number of routes and they'll be fine. They just need to sort out their software and remain below $399.

DerNebel said:
That thing is so not getting any third party support.

Yes it will, it will just have the shittiest ports. Nintendo is playing ball, but they are going to do it on their own terms. They will probably opt for graphics on level with a mid range PC in graphics settings and 8gb of ram like they were supposed to in the first place.

DerNebel said:
That thing is so not getting any third party support.

Ye, if it is weaker than PS4 and XOne itll face the same kind of problems the WiiU did. I dont get what Nintendo is trying to do here, abandom theyre WiiU userbase and release an underpowered console makes very little sense to be.

i've been thinking for a year that nintendos fusion likely will be an arm-based handheld and an arm-based, low power home console. if that approach isn't half assed the home console might have higher res and additional effects in games and is quite cheap.

not the console i'd want to see but something that seems likely.

My belief at this point is its an AMD apu design and while the console itself will be capable of running the same games as ps4 and xbone easily I think it will do so with a lower spec gpu. End result is a console that can deliver fantastic cartoon graphics, competitive performance for multi-format games but using a low cost APU with perhaps 4 decent performance x86 cores (zen architecture perhaps) but with a gpu around 1 terraflop which will be the max level of their integrated radeon graphics for the new generation.

I believe the optical drive will be top loading for cost reduction and the controller will have a small touch screen in order to faciltate wii u backwards compatibility.

The handheld will be x86 based too using radeon graphics but at a lower performance level than the home console perhaps less than a third of the raw performance. Perhaps 4 low power cpu cores and a radeon gpu around 200-300 gflops. This will likely be the first 64bit handheld. It will run the same games as the NX console but with a simplified game engine and lower resolution graphics. All NX games will be jointly developed for both consoles with a single retail or digital purchase price to run the game on both systems.

Pairing of the consoles is exhaustive. Lots of benefits to owning both consoles in addition to dual access to games. Any game can be played from beginning to end either on home console or handheld at any stage. I.e. you start the game on the home console then you could play a couple hours on handheld etc.

I think the NX will easily beat the ps4 and xbone in cpu performance because that is something cheap to do but I don't think it will match ps4 graphics and likely won't match xbone graphics either but not sure about this.

That's my guess for the new console based on it likely being based on a new AMD architecture as already hinted by AMD and my hope that it won't be arm based which isn't up to speed yet in matching xbone or ps4 but more importantly I want NX games similar to ps4/xbone/pc performance not crappy android ports.