By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Source: NX "Is Definitely Not Aiming To Compete With PS4 On Horsepower"

Supports my theory, 2 versions (at least) of the ''NX'' thing, one's a handheld, fits with every report of power, catalog, price, 2016 launch date - The other one's a Home console, launches later, we know less about it, nintendo doesn't wannna spoil it, i think all pieces start to fit in, still a longshot

Around the Network

The Unseen64 guy. The guy has pretty good sources

Well, he doesn't know if the thing will be a home console (seems absurd he's been talking to the right people, but doesn't know that basic bit of information), so if it's a handheld then it doesn't need PS4 level of power. But if it is a home console I simply cannot imagine how it could not be more powerful than PS4. PS4 will be at least 3 year old tech by the time NX comes out.

People said power-wise Wii was just 2 GC's duct taped together. So maybe Nintendo thinks it can do a GC--> Wii trick again by not upping the power all that much and introducing something that will excite that casual audience again.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Well, he doesn't know if the thing will be a home console (seems absurd he's been talking to the right people, but doesn't know that basic bit of information), so if it's a handheld then it doesn't need PS4 level of power. But if it is a home console I simply cannot imagine how it could not be more powerful than PS4. PS4 will be at least 3 year old tech by the time NX comes out.

People said power-wise Wii was just 2 GC's duct taped together. So maybe Nintendo thinks it can do a GC--> Wii trick again by not upping the power all that much and introducing something that will excite that casual audience again.

The Wii wasn't even actually 2x-3x the GameCube. It was literally like a 33% overclock of the CPU/GPU. It had 3x the RAM but that was it. 

I remember when Perrin Kaplan (then of Nintendo of America) let it slip that the Wii would be "only" 2-3x more powerful than the GameCube and a lot of the Nintendo community at that time lost their minds. The funny thing is it wasn't even 2x-3x, it was like 1.3x the GameCube with a bump in RAM. 

DerNebel said:
That thing is so not getting any third party support.

Unified game library...  Nintendo not haveing to split their game developement between a handheld and a console, means nintendo are big enough to support the system single handedly without need of 3rd party.

Around the Network

Because having games look and run better is the worst. It's so much better to save the customer 50 bucks on a long term investment than delivering the full package.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

tokilamockingbrd said:
oh gawd. Will Nintendo ever learn. Generally, people don't want to buy a product when they know the product sitting right next to it is more powerful.

Nintendo is trying to recreate the Wii again it seems. They could succeed, but the odds are against them.

They just need a good price point for it... and make some good looking games.

Most of the nintendo users, buy it for the games not the graphics its capable of.

JRPGfan said:
DerNebel said:
That thing is so not getting any third party support.

Unified game library...  Nintendo not haveing to split their game developement between a handheld and a console, means nintendo are big enough to support the system single handedly without need of 3rd party.

They actually could get decent third party support. Assuming it sells even 50 million units (which would be down from the 3DS), it'll still get a good deal more support than the Wii U is now. Western devs may even make some games for it. Cheaper to develop and you can make one game that works basically as a console and portbale game? Yeah that'll probably appeal to some devs. 

binary solo said:

To be fair, the PS4 will be three year old tech by the earliest potential time new Nintendo hardware will launch, but hardware really isn't moving much these days. I mean, three years, they could make something more powerful than the PS4 and sell it for $400, but the boost would be so minor that it wouldn't even be worth noting when talking about system power. People mention that the leap from the PS3 to the PS4 wasn't even all that substantial, and that was a seven year tech gap, maybe only six counting manufacturing and when R&D came up with the final model. I don't think three years is going to make it worthwhile trying to get past the PS4. Going on par could present an affordable, $300 console as long as Nintendo doesn't include any price boosting gimmicks.

Of course, they don't want to go the power route anymore, so that whole bit is pretty irrelevant in the long run.

ehhh ill wait and see, so many ''sources'' with ''inside information'' have been wrong before

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick