By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Source: NX "Is Definitely Not Aiming To Compete With PS4 On Horsepower"

bonzobanana said:
heavenharp said:

the wii u is "cleanly" more powerfull than ps360. the ports that are inferior are lazy ports.

The gpu is above 500 gflops already.

wii u has lower memory bandwidth and cpu resources. It has more memory but no hdd. The gpu remains a mystery but its most certainly not 500 gflop not even close because its on a 45nm fabrication process and much of the customised gpu has to make room for the original wii gpu and other compatibility area's. When it was analysed before the figure was about 176 gflops as the most likely value but that still is above 360 and PS3 gpu's due to later architecture and more up to date feature set.  The 45nm fabrication process and very low power consumption of the wii u makes it impossible to be 500 gflops as its a complete mismatch.  You do understand the ps3 and 360 consume far more power and are on the same budget fabrication process as wii u?

Lazy port is just a fanboy excuse. There has been many different developers on wii u and they are all getting similar weak results. The only time the wii u can go ahead is if the game requires low cpu resources.  Clearly the only games that perform well on wii u are games programmed from the ground up to work well with it, i.e. don't need such high cpu resources as 360 and PS3 games.  As an owner of all three consoles its clear to see the limitations of the wii u.

Almost all multiformat games that are on wii u, ps3 and 360 perform worse on wii u, often much worse even to the point of unplayable sometimes with horrible low frame rates when the action gets intense in fps games.  

Surely we have reached a point now that we stop pretending the wii u is a competitive console in performance.  To say it performs to the same level as ps3 and 360 is to be honest generous most of the time and this is easily backed up by looking at the hardware and reading reviews of its games.

Mate, you do realize that's alt you're talking to, Zero's most likely, given all the usual rhetoric?

Around the Network
spemanig said:
What I'm lost at is this: I don't see how Nintendo expects the NX to be successful with the way they're branding everything if it's still weaker than the PS4.

Like, they're saying the next Metroid Prime game, a niche and hardcore FPS, will be on the NX, which will be on a system for (allegedly) an audience that would never play something like that. It makes no sense to me. They're prepping for a massive overhaul of their image and branding. That much is clear.

The NX has to be some fucking genius idea from a marketing standpoint, at least to Nintendo, for them to think they can release something so weak, but still sell the same types of games and be successful. I genuinely don't get it. Who knows. Maybe it really is the "intentionally second" home console. Maybe it is that $150 Android machine.

But like, they still expect 3rd party support? I just don't get it. Like, if this isn't the NXDS, I really don't understand. Too much information is conflicting. And then talking about scalable games? About different architecture? About the next handheld and console being like brothers? But the NX will be weak? And the NXDS will be strong?

Just so lost.

I honestly believe Nintendo is going to try combating Apple/Amazon more than they are going against Sony/Microsoft. The next Apple TV is rumored to be releasing later this year and Amazon is trying to make Fire TV a device for gamers so I think Nintendo sees theses $100-150 microconsoles as a bigger threat to the casual market that Nintendo wants.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

That's fine if was only a handheld. However, if this is supposed to be a hybrid, then that simply won't fly. Only diehard Nintendo fans are going to be satisfied with a console that will probably be only 2x-3x the power of the Wii U, with little 3rd party support, but plays Nintendo franchises. If that really is their plan, I see it performing about as well as the Wii U, especially against a $199 PS4 AND a (most likely) $399 beast of a machine PS5 just a year or so around the corner.

Maybe if they can launch at $199, or MAX $249. However, given how the relatively weak Wii U lost them money at $299/$349, it seems to me that Nintendo isn't the greatest at negotiating the best prices for parts.

Im sick of this nx stuff, wiiu hasnt even been out long. Way to kill the buzz

bonzobanana said:
heavenharp said:

the wii u is "cleanly" more powerfull than ps360. the ports that are inferior are lazy ports.

The gpu is above 500 gflops already.

wii u has lower memory bandwidth and cpu resources. It has more memory but no hdd. The gpu remains a mystery but its most certainly not 500 gflop not even close because its on a 45nm fabrication process and much of the customised gpu has to make room for the original wii gpu and other compatibility area's. When it was analysed before the figure was about 176 gflops as the most likely value but that still is above 360 and PS3 gpu's due to later architecture and more up to date feature set.  The 45nm fabrication process and very low power consumption of the wii u makes it impossible to be 500 gflops as its a complete mismatch.  You do understand the ps3 and 360 consume far more power and are on the same budget fabrication process as wii u?

Lazy port is just a fanboy excuse. There has been many different developers on wii u and they are all getting similar weak results. The only time the wii u can go ahead is if the game requires low cpu resources.  Clearly the only games that perform well on wii u are games programmed from the ground up to work well with it, i.e. don't need such high cpu resources as 360 and PS3 games.  As an owner of all three consoles its clear to see the limitations of the wii u.

Almost all multiformat games that are on wii u, ps3 and 360 perform worse on wii u, often much worse even to the point of unplayable sometimes with horrible low frame rates when the action gets intense in fps games.  

Surely we have reached a point now that we stop pretending the wii u is a competitive console in performance.  To say it performs to the same level as ps3 and 360 is to be honest generous most of the time and this is easily backed up by looking at the hardware and reading reviews of its games.

Yeah agreed. 500 GFLOPS from a 45nm chip that runs at 33 watts is pretty much impossible. Zero lives in fantasy land though where magical Nintendium chips can break the rules of physics. 

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:

That's fine if was only a handheld. However, if this is supposed to be a hybrid, then that simply won't fly. Only diehard Nintendo fans are going to be satisfied with a console that will probably be only 2x-3x the power of the Wii U, with little 3rd party support, but plays Nintendo franchises. If that really is their plan, I see it performing about as well as the Wii U, especially against a $199 PS4 AND a (most likely) $399 beast of a machine PS5 just a year or so around the corner.

Maybe if they can launch at $199, or MAX $249. However, given how the relatively weak Wii U lost them money at $299/$349, it seems to me that Nintendo isn't the greatest at negotiating the best prices for parts.

Well if it is some sort of hybrid than it will have strong 3rd party support, u and many others are ignoring the 3rd party support that Nintendo handhelds have.

For each of the last 3 fiscal years, 3DS+Wii U have received over 100 retail titles, most of those were 3rd party.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Normchacho said:
Well...that's it. The NX will be Nintendos last home console.

Same was said after GC and then we had Wii...

Oh come on, just imagine the Wii U with a cheap device come in handy like NX so we can play 3DS games and games on current game system like 3DS/WiiU, and we still can replay again in the future on next gen console/handheld with it then it's not a bad idea at all

NNID : ShenlongDK
PSN : DarkLong213
Normchacho said:
tbone51 said:

Thats nothing new. Nintendo has had last consoles since the n64. They are practically experts at making them.

Without decent 3rd party support, I just don't think Nintendo is going to be able to convince enough people who didn't buy a Wii U to buy the NX and I could be wrong...but I just don't think Nintendo will be able to justify an successor to the NX if it doesn't do considerably better than the Wii U.

thismeintiel said:

thismeintiel said:

Well we don't know exactly what is NX, I think NX is handheld and home console is one device (it will targeting handheld and home console market), in that case without stupid Wii U mistakes (bad name, terible marketing..), it will sell much better than Wii U. Price probably will be around $250.

I am putting my money on the NX being a hybrid handheld/home console so that they can combined software libraries without the cost of developing two hardware platforms anymore. The NX will play 3DS games via download or cart while the home console with entirely forgo a new disc medium and be a cloud based system requiring a constant Internet connection for new NX titles while being backwards compatible with Wii U software. The design of the console having multiple screens will allow the backwards compatibility with the Wii U as well as being able to connect the Wii U tablet to the NX. People forget that quite recently GPU design with a focus on low power consumption has been able to match the PS4/Xbox1 level; research the Tegra K1. Memory took another nose dive in cost and just in the past three years hardware components that would make up consoles have gone through some night and day changes.

If Nintendo is looking at this the same way I am then it is best to toss away the Wii U because they can create a portable system with the abilities of the big dogs at a lower price point that already has the previous consoles library and their successful handheld library to acompany their launch line up. That's why Zelda isn't being brought to market, much like Twilight Princess that's a launch title for the NX.