By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Source: NX "Is Definitely Not Aiming To Compete With PS4 On Horsepower"

I think the NX is better if it can play both Wii U-3DS games and its better for people who can't afford buying a handheld and a console at the same time. Its going to be a great solution!! for instance, i have a Wii U, but, i can't afford having both 3ds and Wii u and i want to play Fire Emblem Fates and other great 3DS games, so, having a console that can play both games on a exclusive game station its going to be a wonderful solution. As for graphics, good games doesn't need the best graphics and this generation already as good enough graphics. If they come up with a hybrid console that can have a Xbox one graphics like games, that's good enough for me.

Around the Network

I honestly believe NX will just be a slight boost over Wii U, similar to the leap from GameCube to Wii, so basically Wii U with a faster CPU & more RAM.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

tbone51 said:
Normchacho said:
Well...that's it. The NX will be Nintendos last home console.

Thats nothing new. Nintendo has had last consoles since the n64. They are practically experts at making them.

Without decent 3rd party support, I just don't think Nintendo is going to be able to convince enough people who didn't buy a Wii U to buy the NX and I could be wrong...but I just don't think Nintendo will be able to justify an successor to the NX if it doesn't do considerably better than the Wii U.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

What I'm lost at is this: I don't see how Nintendo expects the NX to be successful with the way they're branding everything if it's still weaker than the PS4.

Like, they're saying the next Metroid Prime game, a niche and hardcore FPS, will be on the NX, which will be on a system for (allegedly) an audience that would never play something like that. It makes no sense to me. They're prepping for a massive overhaul of their image and branding. That much is clear.

The NX has to be some fucking genius idea from a marketing standpoint, at least to Nintendo, for them to think they can release something so weak, but still sell the same types of games and be successful. I genuinely don't get it. Who knows. Maybe it really is the "intentionally second" home console. Maybe it is that $150 Android machine.

But like, they still expect 3rd party support? I just don't get it. Like, if this isn't the NXDS, I really don't understand. Too much information is conflicting. And then talking about scalable games? About different architecture? About the next handheld and console being like brothers? But the NX will be weak? And the NXDS will be strong?

Just so lost.

zorg1000 said:
I honestly believe NX will just be a slight boost over Wii U, similar to the leap from GameCube to Wii, so basically Wii U with a faster CPU & more RAM.

I seriously hope your wrong... Nintendo need atleast double the performance of the Wii U.

Slightly faster cpu & gpu wont be enough, even for a 250$ price console.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
And then talking about scalable games? About different architecture? About the next handheld and console being like brothers? But the NX will be weak? And the NXDS will be strong?

Just so lost.

Why not keep the same architecture? Have AMD make a custom ARM-APU for the "big" home console, and and smaller ARM-APU for the handheld.

This means asking AMD to design 2 chips instead of just 1... but its probably the best solution to the problem.

The cpu portion would be nearly identical between the home console and the handheld,... but the GPU portion / system bus, of the handheld much smaller.

heavenharp said:
bonzobanana said:
I think most people now will assume any new Nintendo hardware is weak unless shown otherwise and Nintendo nowadays won't even give out performance information so even if Nintendo bought a reasonable AMD chipset to power their next console they will probably fail horribly regarding informing the end consumer about it that will probably damage it's chances anyway.

I think the success of the next console is down to their new gimmick they have come up with. How good is this gimmick though because they are keeping it under wraps so may not have done any consumer research on its appeal. It may end up like the wii u tablet as a huge failure. Their instincts were completely wrong last time.

Actually scratch that I don't think their instincts were wrong I think it was the implementation that was horrible. I still think a normal size controller with a small touch screen would have done well with decent battery life and analogue triggers and the money saved on that could have meant the wii u console was powerful enough to be at least cleanly more powerful than 360 and PS3 to get enhanced versions of their games rather than inferior versions. I think that console would surely have doubled the current sales number and at least been competitive with xbone even if the ps4 was still a runaway success. That wii u would have found it easier to do 720p 60fps games with anti-aliasing simply by perhaps using a couple of 64bit x86 cores at 1.8ghz and have the backwards compatibility ppc at 1.8ghz too, the gpu could have been around 500 gflops all in a 28nm fabrication package with thermal dynamics no worse than the current wii u at 45nm. This design would have spanned both the old generation and new generation for code compatibility.

the wii u is "cleanly" more powerfull than ps360. the ports that are inferior are lazy ports.

The gpu is above 500 gflops already.

wii u has lower memory bandwidth and cpu resources. It has more memory but no hdd. The gpu remains a mystery but its most certainly not 500 gflop not even close because its on a 45nm fabrication process and much of the customised gpu has to make room for the original wii gpu and other compatibility area's. When it was analysed before the figure was about 176 gflops as the most likely value but that still is above 360 and PS3 gpu's due to later architecture and more up to date feature set.  The 45nm fabrication process and very low power consumption of the wii u makes it impossible to be 500 gflops as its a complete mismatch.  You do understand the ps3 and 360 consume far more power and are on the same budget fabrication process as wii u?

Lazy port is just a fanboy excuse. There has been many different developers on wii u and they are all getting similar weak results. The only time the wii u can go ahead is if the game requires low cpu resources.  Clearly the only games that perform well on wii u are games programmed from the ground up to work well with it, i.e. don't need such high cpu resources as 360 and PS3 games.  As an owner of all three consoles its clear to see the limitations of the wii u.

Almost all multiformat games that are on wii u, ps3 and 360 perform worse on wii u, often much worse even to the point of unplayable sometimes with horrible low frame rates when the action gets intense in fps games.  

Surely we have reached a point now that we stop pretending the wii u is a competitive console in performance.  To say it performs to the same level as ps3 and 360 is to be honest generous most of the time and this is easily backed up by looking at the hardware and reading reviews of its games.

Makes it harder for developers to cross platform release on XBNext, PS5 and NX.Doesn't look good.

bonzobanana said:
heavenharp said:

the wii u is "cleanly" more powerfull than ps360. the ports that are inferior are lazy ports.

The gpu is above 500 gflops already.

wii u has lower memory bandwidth and cpu resources. It has more memory but no hdd. The gpu remains a mystery but its most certainly not 500 gflop not even close because its on a 45nm fabrication process and much of the customised gpu has to make room for the original wii gpu and other compatibility area's. When it was analysed before the figure was about 176 gflops as the most likely value but that still is above 360 and PS3 gpu's due to later architecture and more up to date feature set.  The 45nm fabrication process and very low power consumption of the wii u makes it impossible to be 500 gflops as its a complete mismatch.  You do understand the ps3 and 360 consume far more power and are on the same budget fabrication process as wii u?

Lazy port is just a fanboy excuse. There has been many different developers on wii u and they are all getting similar weak results. The only time the wii u can go ahead is if the game requires low cpu resources.  Clearly the only games that perform well on wii u are games programmed from the ground up to work well with it, i.e. don't need such high cpu resources as 360 and PS3 games.  As an owner of all three consoles its clear to see the limitations of the wii u.

Almost all multiformat games that are on wii u, ps3 and 360 perform worse on wii u, often much worse even to the point of unplayable sometimes with horrible low frame rates when the action gets intense in fps games.  

Surely we have reached a point now that we stop pretending the wii u is a competitive console in performance.  To say it performs to the same level as ps3 and 360 is to be honest generous most of the time and this is easily backed up by looking at the hardware and reading reviews of its games.

While I certainly disagree with the WiiU being over 500GFlops, it's objectively more powerful than the PS3. Of course ports of CPU focused PS360 wouldn't run well on it without a little more optimization because the WiiU, just like the other 8th gen consoles, is more GPU focused. Of course, porting the game as it is to the PS4Xbone wouldn't be bad like the WiiU ports because the PS4Xbone are obviously a lot more powerful. Devs who put at least a little bit of effort got games that ran better than the PS360.

Lol. Writing that reminded me of the 2013 "WiiU isn't next gen" arguments.

LOL @ People thinking third party support comes from being a capable console.