By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Source: NX "Is Definitely Not Aiming To Compete With PS4 On Horsepower"

zorg1000 said:

I honestly believe Nintendo is going to try combating Apple/Amazon more than they are going against Sony/Microsoft. The next Apple TV is rumored to be releasing later this year and Amazon is trying to make Fire TV a device for gamers so I think Nintendo sees theses $100-150 microconsoles as a bigger threat to the casual market that Nintendo wants.

But they're still supporting games like XCX and Bayo2. There's clearly confusion internally to who their tiger demographic is, because the audience interested in half the games they make don't want a microconsole.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Normchacho said:
Well...that's it. The NX will be Nintendos last home console.

Same was said after GC and then we had Wii...

Yeah? You think Nintendo is going to have another Wii? The Wii was a successful because it was a fad with non-gamers, That's why it went from 17 million sales in 2010, to 11 million sales in 2011. The odds of Nintendo being able to pull that off again are very slim.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

shenlong213 said:
FunFan said:

The main culprit is Nintendo's failure to attract the demographic that support those third parties. Graphics have something to do with it, but there are other reasons way more important. Nintendo simply doesn't have:

1. A marketing strategy that doesn't just focus on selling Yoshi and treat third parties games with the same importance as their own games.

2. A "mature" game series on the level of Halo or Uncharted in terms of popularity.

3. An online service that rivals the competition.

4. A console and controller that look SLEEK and SEXY.

5. (And least important) A technological level that doesn't feel is behing the times. (I personally think the PS4 is also behind the times. PC MASTERACE!!!!!++++++++)

About the PS4 eating the XB1 for lunch. I think that has more to do with Kinnect and the bad taste Microsoft's early anti-customers policies left. I do think that the perceived advantage in graphics did help the PS4 garner hype among the gullible, but the competitions blunders where the main reason for the win with the smarter costumer.

Disagree, mature games on Nintendo platform was never sold, and Zelda, Pokemon or Mario was popular enough to outsell those games you said above

The point of that is to attract NEW audiences, not sell it to the established fanbase. Just like every other point I made.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

spemanig said:
zorg1000 said:

I honestly believe Nintendo is going to try combating Apple/Amazon more than they are going against Sony/Microsoft. The next Apple TV is rumored to be releasing later this year and Amazon is trying to make Fire TV a device for gamers so I think Nintendo sees theses $100-150 microconsoles as a bigger threat to the casual market that Nintendo wants.

But they're still supporting games like XCX and Bayo2. There's clearly confusion internally to who their tiger demographic is, because the audience interested in half the games they make don't want a microconsole.

Games like that arent their primary focus and make up a small amount of Nintendo's output. Wii was primarily a kid/family/casual console yet it still had things like Metroid Prime 3 & Xenoblade Chronicles, very hardcore and niche titles.

For every Bayonetta 2/Xenoblade Chronicles X, there is a Captain Toad, Pokemon Shuffle, Kirby Rainbow Curse, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Mario Party 10, Pokemon Rumble World, Splatoon, Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure, Yoshi's Woolly World, Super Mario Maker, Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer.

So even if NX is aimed primarily at kids/casuals/families, they will still very likely fund the occasional hardcore niche title.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Normchacho said:
Miyamotoo said:
Normchacho said:

Yeah? You think Nintendo is going to have another Wii? The Wii was a successful because it was a fad with non-gamers, That's why it went from 17 million sales in 2010, to 11 million sales in 2011. The odds of Nintendo being able to pull that off again are very slim.

No, but I dont think they will have onther Wii U too. Wii U had very serious series of bad decisions, I can't think they cant pull that again.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Normchacho said:
Miyamotoo said:
Normchacho said:

No, but I dont think they will have onther Wii U too. Wii U had very serious series of bad decisions, I can't think they cant pull that again.

All of the signs thus far point to Nintendo launching yet another home console that will appeal only to hardcore Nintendo fans. If that happens they're screwed, because there just aren't enough of those to sustain a healthy home console.

The only possible saving grace is if they try to draw in 3DS owners by making it both a home console and a handheld which be a problem in itself if it's either too weak to be a home console, or too expensive to be a handheld.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

FunFan said:
tokilamockingbrd said:

The main culprit is Nintendo's failure to attract the demographic that support those third parties. Graphics have something to do with it, but there are other reasons way more important. Nintendo simply doesn't have:

1. A marketing strategy that doesn't just focus on selling Yoshi and treat third parties games with the same importance as their own games.

2. A "mature" game series on the level of Halo or Uncharted in terms of popularity.

3. An online service that rivals the competition.

4. A console and controller that look SLEEK and SEXY.

5. (And least important) A technological level that doesn't feel is behing the times. (I personally think the PS4 is also behind the times. PC MASTERACE!!!!!++++++++)

About the PS4 eating the XB1 for lunch. I think that has more to do with Kinnect and the bad taste Microsoft's early anti-customers policies left. I do think that the perceived advantage in graphics did help the PS4 garner hype among the gullible, but the competitions blunders where the main reason for the win with the smarter costumer.

This is sssooooo not the least important of the points you made. If next year Nintendo launches a console that isn't at least comparable to the PS4 or Xbox One in power, they are fucked. They will never attract the type of gamer that buys third party games if the console is too weak to run those third party games at acceptable performance.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

Normchacho said:
Miyamotoo said:
Normchacho said:

Look at the support Nintendo gave Wii in 2010 & 2011.

Endless Ocean: Blue World

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure

Metroid: Other M

Wii Party

Kirby's Epic Yarn

FlingSmash

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Mario Sports Mix

Wii Play: Motion

Kirby's Return to Dream Land

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Fortune Street

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Normchacho said:

Look at the support Nintendo gave Wii in 2010 & 2011.

Endless Ocean: Blue World

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure

Metroid: Other M

Wii Party

Kirby's Epic Yarn

FlingSmash

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Mario Sports Mix

Wii Play: Motion

Kirby's Return to Dream Land

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Fortune Street

So? There were still 4 Wii games in the top 10 best selling games in 2011. By 2011 the fad was over and nobody cared anymore. That lack of carring carried straight through to the launch of the Wii U.

Where are all of those Wii owners? They didn't stop buying Wiis because the new console was coming out, because they didn't buy that either.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

If it's underpowered it could be the last Nintendo hardware....