By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prototype of Nintendo and Sony abandoned PlayStation console discovered

think-man said:
And Nintendo still make stupid decisions to this day.

To be fair, Sony wanted 100% of the software royalties which would have effectively left Nintendo a 3rd party publisher on their own platform.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
cannonballZ said:
It's a fake:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-03-ultra-rare-sony-playstation-snes-console-spotted-pictured

Update: " A French modder has now claimed to have made the Sony PlayStation SNES model shown today himself, rather than it being a legitimate early version of the rare Sony-Nintendo hybrid."

The second update on that site mentions that the console is real.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-03-ultra-rare-sony-playstation-snes-console-spotted-pictured

UPDATE 6.20pm: Good news - claims that today's find of a PlayStation SNES console were faked have now been cleared up and proven incorrect.

this is so cool, it makes you wonder what would happen if Sony & Nintendo went with their partnership.

Follow me on Instagram : YAFEAXX

Would love to own this piece of history but I'm sure this would capture a lot of money if it was authenticated and bid on.

Very cool... Well I guess I found the ultimate Special edition bundle, now to find out how to own it. I wonder how many are in existence to this day? They should start a gamer museum, if they have not already and add this to the collection, along with computers they used, to the history and struggles of the industry.

Funny fact is that the PlayStation logo had the SNES colors up until the PS3 slim came

Around the Network

It's a fake:

It doesn't have Nintendo logos on it, but that was pretty standard at the time, Nintendo did make deals like this with Sharp for the Twin Famicom (which was a Famicom + Famicom Disk Drive). Also with Panasonic for the Panasonic GameCube. 

This was a bad deal for Nintendo. The original deal signed in 1988 did give Sony control over software licensing fees which was plainly stupid, but Sony *agreed* to a revised contract after to give Nintendo the software fees in 1992/93 to try and save the partnership deal. They even agreed to work with Philips, lol, Nintendo got everyone to bend over for them and still backed out of it. 

Even if you weren't going to deal with Sony you still had a partnership with Philips for CD-ROM. Going cartridge only on N64 was collosally stupid, had Nintendo used CD from any supplier (there's like 20 of them, take your pick Nintendo), they likely would have retained third parties like Squaresoft and Enix and won that console generation easily. Playstation started off quite slow, people don't remember that now, take Final Fantasy VII away from them and it's questionable how well Sony would've done against the Mario 64/FF7/GoldenEye/Zelda: OoT steamroller. They still could've used carts as well, the Saturn supported both. 

Cool!

I believe it's all for the best, thanks God i am now enjoying both Great life indeed. Imagine if we have only Nintendo , then console market would have  died fast in electronic entertainment industry .

Thank god it didn't happen, or right now Nintendo will not exist after their games fails to sells 10M copies and Sony decided to erase from the videogame kingdoom.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile