Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prototype of Nintendo and Sony abandoned PlayStation console discovered

this is so cool, it makes you wonder what would happen if Sony & Nintendo went with their partnership.

Follow me on Instagram : YAFEAXX

Around the Network

Would love to own this piece of history but I'm sure this would capture a lot of money if it was authenticated and bid on.

Very cool... Well I guess I found the ultimate Special edition bundle, now to find out how to own it. I wonder how many are in existence to this day? They should start a gamer museum, if they have not already and add this to the collection, along with computers they used, to the history and struggles of the industry.

RolStoppable said:
Hiku said:

Didn't know there were as many as 200 of these made. Weird that this is the first person I've seen that owns one.

Definitely one of those decisions where you can't help but wonder how things would have been. Possibly the worst decision Nintendo ever made. But I'm glad we got the Sony PlayStation.

Also curious what's on the cartridge and CD.

Nintendo actually made a good decision here. As you can figure from the branding on the prototype, Nintendo was supposed to become a third party on their own system.

I doubt it was a good decision. From what I've read, Sony wanted control over liscensing for the disc based games only.
"Sony would develop and retain control over the SNES-CD disc format, effectively ceding a large amount of control over software licensing to Sony"

It's not a stretch to assume that Nintendo would have retained the same control over the cartridge based games.
But seeing as Nintendo were used to 100% of everything, since they are the big console manufacturers, and Sony (at this point) are not, they didn't think this was a good idea.

If they had continued forward with this partnership to the point where there's only one media for the games (DVD), then they would obviously split things between them rather than one company trying to claim 100%. That wouldn't make sense.
They could also have agreed on this not applying to first party games, etc.

And shared royalties from a much larger install base is likely better than 100% of a significantly smaller one.

The orginal Fusion xD

Hiku said:

I doubt it was a good decision. From what I've read, Sony wanted control over liscensing for the disc based games only.
"Sony would develop and retain control over the SNES-CD disc format, effectively ceding a large amount of control over software licensing to Sony"

It's not a stretch to assume that Nintendo would have retained the same control over the cartridge based games.
But seeing as Nintendo were used to 100% of everything, since they are the big console manufacturers, and Sony (at this point) are not, they didn't think this was a good idea.

If they had continued forward with this partnership to the point where there's only one media for the games (DVD), then they would obviously split things between them rather than one company tryiong to claim 100%. That wouldn't make sense.

And a part of a 150m+ instal base is likely better than 100% of a 23m instal base.

This was over 20 years ago, so we have the hindsight of lots of financial results. It was a good decision for Nintendo.

And you know how bigger companies (in this case: Sony) handle partnerships. First they pretend that the partner will still have freedom, but over time more and more control and money goes to the big company, up to the point where the smaller partner becomes so dependent that they can't say no anymore, because the risk of branching off to become fully independent will be perceived as too high.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network

Funny fact is that the PlayStation logo had the SNES colors up until the PS3 slim came

It's a fake:

RolStoppable said:

This was over 20 years ago, so we have the hindsight of lots of financial results. It was a good decision for Nintendo.

And you know how bigger companies (in this case: Sony) handle partnerships. First they pretend that the partner will still have freedom, but over time more and more control and money goes to the big company, up to the point where the smaller partner becomes so dependent that they can't say no anymore, because the risk of branching off to become fully independent will be perceived as too high.

Obviously we are speaking in hindsight. And with that in mind, I don't think it was a good decision for Nintendo to walk away.
At the time though, I can see why they would shy away from this deal. No one knew that Sony would develop their own console, and that it would change everything.

And sure there is the chance that a partenership starts benefitting one side more and more.
Though if that happened, and Nintendo went their own way, it's quite possible that they would have retained a very strong image, possiblty stronger than they've ever had even, rather than the increasingly negative one they began recieving starting with N64.
A new Nintendo console past Generation 5 wouldn't have gone with cartridges after seeing what disc based media could do.

It doesn't have Nintendo logos on it, but that was pretty standard at the time, Nintendo did make deals like this with Sharp for the Twin Famicom (which was a Famicom + Famicom Disk Drive). Also with Panasonic for the Panasonic GameCube. 

This was a bad deal for Nintendo. The original deal signed in 1988 did give Sony control over software licensing fees which was plainly stupid, but Sony *agreed* to a revised contract after to give Nintendo the software fees in 1992/93 to try and save the partnership deal. They even agreed to work with Philips, lol, Nintendo got everyone to bend over for them and still backed out of it. 

Even if you weren't going to deal with Sony you still had a partnership with Philips for CD-ROM. Going cartridge only on N64 was collosally stupid, had Nintendo used CD from any supplier (there's like 20 of them, take your pick Nintendo), they likely would have retained third parties like Squaresoft and Enix and won that console generation easily. Playstation started off quite slow, people don't remember that now, take Final Fantasy VII away from them and it's questionable how well Sony would've done against the Mario 64/FF7/GoldenEye/Zelda: OoT steamroller. They still could've used carts as well, the Saturn supported both. 

Cool!