By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony launches crowdfunding platform

Puppyroach said:
So this means that if a project or idea doesn't reach its funding level, Sony get to keep the cash and the project is scrapped? Have I understood it correctly then?

No you haven't. If the project doesn't reach its funding level, and the project is scrapped, you'll get your mobey back, obviously.

If this had been for Sony's R&D department themselves I would understand that people are against it, but this is for their employees, if they have an idea that the big boss isn't too sure in, they can test out if there's interest for it there. In addition it'd be a lot more safe to back a project like this versus a Kickstarter where there is often very little accountability to it.

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
Lafiel said:
DerNebel said:
Btw that one product has achieve over 150% of its funding goal while everyone was complaining. Lol

yea their multi-device-remote HUIS still has 49 days to go but 318 of 1600 maximum (maybe they'll increase that amount if demand stays strong) have already been sold/preordered meaning it's certainly going into production

That remote is cool, I hope they bring this program to the west soon.

it's a bit expensive

I think the idea is nice, but I wonder if the same functionality would've been achievable with any smartphone/tablet with a IR blaster (my tablet has one) and an app..

well, with it's e-paper display it surely has waaay better battery life than regular smart devices and maybe it needs some special sensor/IR diode to "scan" and reproduce other devices signals (atleast it looks like it works that way in the video, maybe it's just presets .. my tablet has presets with a samsung remote app and it doesn't work well)

Aeolus451 said:

This is not the twilight zone where the worst case scenario will likely happen. Again, games have diddly squat to do with this.

You say that I don't see the ramifications but I do. On the otherhand, I'm sure sony and other companies see the likely consquences if they try to use crowdfunding to fund every little product, idea or project. They ultimately answer to consumers. It's not like I have faith that sony or other companies will always do right. I just believe that they'll be smart when playing with a loaded gun and not point it at themselves. Ask MS about their DRM policies in '13 and how that worked for them.

Also, Sony is no saint but it does not have the kind of reputation to suggest that they'll try to screw people over on crowdfunding. 

in the same sense you don't see the good that will likely come from this because apparantly companies are the boogie man that hunt children at night and kick kittins. 

If they would get money from kicking kittens...

Regardless of Sony making the crowdfunding platform, I think companies would still eventually exploit the system, like they have done with many other things. I can see the good in this, the same way I can see the good in pre-orders (securing an early copy) and DLC (further support for games).  But lets be honest, most companies have attempted to exploit these systems. Seems like my twilight zone is well based in history. Crowdfunding will be no different IMO. Don't get me wrong. I would never say Sony is the culprit of this, but they are the ones paving the way.

You and many others are quick to disregard the concerns presented in the negative comments as simply a failure to read the OP or fanboy attacks. I think that shows that you all just don't wan't to hear what we have to say. 

I think the negative views are based on reason according to the expectations we have of the usual greedy enterprise. The positive view is based on faith that this system will only be used for good. That how I see it.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Testing the waters is fine, but doing this rubs me the wrong way..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

A lot people said in this forum, " why SONY is not using a market research as a basis to determine how good the product is, well like every market research is bound to be successful, just look how Wii U failed and Xbox one failed in market, ". No one will get harm with this, this is innovation in marketing Industry. And also most people who complain in this thread is not a working on hardware or electric engineering. I think temron had explain that very well

Around the Network

Imagine they put up something like the Virtual Boy: Destined to fail. Even though it failed, there were still 2 million people that bought it. Of those 2 million, I'd say close to 100k would be willing to crowdfund it. That's why I believe this is a bad idea.

No matter which product or cool idea some employee had, there will always be a bunch of people that think it rocks and it should reach the market... the problem is that those excited fellas don't understand the market. In my opinion, you can't trust the consumer on what they think is cool for the market.

In fact, if your cool product wasn't approved or something, there is a reason for that. Isn't someones job to analize if there is a market to sell some products? Will they get fired/replaced by this?

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Slarvax said:
Imagine they put up something like the Virtual Boy: Destined to fail. Even though it failed, there were still 2 million people that bought it. Of those 2 million, I'd say close to 100k would be willing to crowdfund it. That's why I believe this is a bad idea.

No matter which product or cool idea some employee had, there will always be a bunch of people that think it rocks and it should reach the market... the problem is that those excited fellas don't understand the market. In my opinion, you can't trust the consumer on what they think is cool for the market.

In fact, if your cool product wasn't approved or something, there is a reason for that. Isn't someones job to analize if there is a market to sell some products? Will they get fired/replaced by this?

That's why they vote with real money and  not just with  numbers on papers (marketing research)  , market research will be more simple because people actually willing to do this and prove with their money. It just a new form of marketing research but with just less risk, i agree with u that we cannot trust consumer on what they think, but if a lot of people already willing to buy with money then is more then enough to prove that there is a market and projected for bigger project. I think there will some minimum number on how much money should determine the product will get green light.

This is a genius move by Sony. The ones who should be careful are those giving their money towards these efforts. They're giving their money towards a product they may not see in the future.

I would prefer consumers put their money towards finished products. If someone wishes to gamble their money on a kickstarter project, it's their money, they should handle it as they wish.

Slarvax said:

I agree, you cant judge the market on what the people want because people dont know what they want, they only think they know what they want. It takes alot of studying the market and history lessons to learn what can make or break the industry. I for one dont trust the community because everyone wants different things. Ill leave the thinking to the company who is suppose to have employees to determine what the market needs. 

Azzanation said:
Slarvax said:

I agree, you cant judge the market on what the people want because people dont know what they want, they only think they know what they want. It takes alot of studying the market and history lessons to learn what can make or break the industry. I for one dont trust the community because everyone wants different things. Ill leave the thinking to the company who is suppose to have employees to determine what the market needs. 

Which works perfectly, that's why every second new product flops. The idea that companies, their market research divsions or executives exactly no what people want or need is inherently flawed.