By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony launches crowdfunding platform

Tamron said:
Zekkyou said:

Damn, great post. I'm going to have to tag this for every time this topic is inevitably brought up over the next few months :p

There is always the chance that something like this could be abused (not necessarily by Sony, but any companies that follow suit), so to that degree i can understand people's worries, but on the face of it this seems like a great idea. We live in a world where profits are the first, second, and third priority of these companies, their manufacturers, and retailers. If something like this ends up allowing Sony to push out cool ideas that would otherwise have been nipped in the bud by some chap in a suit, then i'm all for it. 

If people saw first hand the original design/features/functionality of the products they buy, compared to what it turned out like when it hit retail, people would understand instantly that the way business is conducted currently, favors profits over innovation and risk, the only way this is going to change is if the risk is reduced or removed, and the descision making either taken away from the men in suits or at the very least, influenced in a weighted manner by the consumer and not the fat cats milking every last dime out of a product PO without willingness to take any risk in the process.

I'm just gonna link your other post when the typical negative view on this topic is brought up. It's much easier than trying to explain all of the positives to it over and over. 

Around the Network

I think some people need to remember that we already have something very similar to this service; pre-orders. The difference is this service has the potential to bring forward products that would otherwise have been nipped in the bud by some chap in a suit. The basic chain of 'pre-order -> company gets money before release -> consumer gets product at launch' is pretty much the same. Sony aren't going to be pulling in million in free money, they're still selling a product. It just happens to be a product that might not have existed without that initial show of consumer support.

There is always the chance something like this could be abused, but i think it'd be best to wait and see what kind of stuff comes out of it before we proclaim Sony are the birth of all evil.

onionberry said:
crowdfunding for big companies is stupid as fuck and shame on you if you support that specific idea, there, I said it.

Dont try to reason with them. We both know its a waste of time. It wouldnt have been if it was Valve doing so or MS. Its a fact. Sad obvious fact.

Tamron said:
Zekkyou said:

Damn, great post. I'm going to have to tag this for every time this topic is inevitably brought up over the next few months :p

There is always the chance that something like this could be abused (not necessarily by Sony, but any companies that follow suit), so to that degree i can understand people's worries, but on the face of it this seems like a great idea. We live in a world where profits are the first, second, and third priority of these companies, their manufacturers, and retailers. If something like this ends up allowing Sony to push out cool ideas that would otherwise have been nipped in the bud by some chap in a suit, then i'm all for it. 

If people saw first hand the original design/features/functionality of the products they buy, compared to what it turned out like when it hit retail, people would understand instantly that the way business is conducted currently, favors profits over innovation and risk, the only way this is going to change is if the risk is reduced or removed, and the descision making either taken away from the men in suits or at the very least, influenced in a weighted manner by the consumer and not the fat cats milking every last dime out of a product PO without willingness to take any risk in the process.

People are ready and willing to say "theyre big companies they dont need our money!", but when a product releases and it doesnt meet their expectations or falls short of what it could have been, those same people are the first to criticize it and say "why didnt you do it differently? why doesnt it have x feature or y option?"

Theyre ignorant to the idea that if theyre not willing to demonstrate first hand what they WANT (crowdsourcing the projects they like, ignoring what they dont) then they should expect products being released that forego some of their needs in exchange for reduced retail risk on the part of the manufacturer and retailer.

By being against crowdsourcing product development, you are in effect, going against the ability for companies to skip the usual retail handholding and get approval directly from the customers and not the middle men.

I can't say I've ever seen the process first hand, but i know you're right, and if this service has any chance to make innovation more viable of these companies then i'm all for it.

As i said in a post above too, it's not like Sony are going to be running off into the sunset with sacks of free money. This essentially just allows people to pre-order a product that, without an initial show of approval from consumers, won't have happened. The average consumer already seems fine to take up the risk of pre-ordering something with little in the way of benefits, so i'm not going to complain about something that not only adds such benefits, but carries them over to everyone.

Thanks to Destiny and COD Sony has never been closer to Activision as they are now.

Stop playing around and Kickstart that Crash Bandicoot already. We'll pay

Around the Network

If I didn't know any better I'd say the OP said Sony was forcing people to crowdfund.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

SWORDF1SH said:

MS/Ninty fans, what would you think if your company did it?

I still wouldn't support it. Microsoft is a huge company with almost a $100bn in cash. Nintendo is much smaller but its still a big company with cash. If either company wanted to test out new ideas or products, then there are other ways of doing market research. That is what businesses have been doing for hundreads of years. Leave crowdfunding for small businesses which can't afford things themselves.  

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

ArchangelMadzz said:
If I didn't know any better I'd say the OP said Sony was forcing people to crowdfund.

yea, they have taken kittens and puppies hostage and threaten to dismember and murder them if we don't pledge for/preorder all of the stuff they offer on their Japan only crowdfund website

can't you see that? it's all in the moon runes

I'm sorry but if we're all excited for the future and future technologies, then we need to make that happen. Companies these days don't want risks, innovation is at an all time low. When was the last time a completely new technology came out that wowed the world? The last thing I can think of is the iPhone and just smartphones in general.

Companies need to be profitable to survive so they don't make weird crazy shit anymore, this allows employees to fully utilize their right hemisphere to come up with awesome technology at no risk to the company they work for based on consumer interest.

The only technology companies that can truly afford to have many many many failures are, Google, Apple and Microsoft, we need more players in the game for the world to thrive over the next 50 years. This could be one of many answers.

Remember you don't have to fund anything.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

think-man said:
That watch looks super lame.

Which is why they're doing this. It's a project that would have been cancelled otherwise, but this is a platform for whatever employee or team did this.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.