I was a believer, and I still am. 3 18.75%

I was a believer, and now... 0 0%

I am agnostic, and this t... 0 0%

I am agnostic, and this t... 0 0%

Total:16
ReimTime said:
Esiar said:
ReimTime said:

You're not wrong; all westernized religions that originated in the Middle East/India all borrowed stories, rules, figures, and other aspects from eachother. Judaism borrowed the story about Noah's Ark from Zorastianism, for example (The Epic of Gilgamesh). Remember how Jesus was said to travel around a lot? It is theorized that he met figures such as Siddartha Guatama (founder of Buddhism) on his travels and the two had some nice sit-down chats. Can provide more examples if needed.

Source: Studied World Religions in University

I don't think that Judaism borrorwing a story is the only explanation. There's basically 2 explanations, one assuming it is true and one assuming it is false. The one assuming it is false would say that they were copied, and the one assuming it is true would say that a world-wide flood happened, and the story was passed down through generations, and eventually the stories changed, like the telephone game.

There are more than 2, I'd say. It can be true and have been copied and altered to fit one group's beliefs, culture, and worldview. Or it could be false in the same way. Your telephone game analogy brings up an interesting point however, what with so many people nowadays taking the Bible so literally. I havea theory that most of the stories in the Bible are moral fables.

Can you elaborate? On all the stories you'd say are moral fables?

Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!

Around the Network
Mr.Playstation said:
JWeinCom said:

You're taking a pretty narrow view of religion.  You are ignoring that the entire middle east, and large parts of Africa, that are suffering incredibly due to the influence of religion.  Then you have the mass pedophilia of priests whom the catholic church has fought to protect, acts of prejudice against gays, the insistence of taking away individual rights, etc.  There are still many places where you can be killed for believing the wrong thing.

My issue with organized religion is that it fundamentally teaches you to obey.  It teaches you that someone else is qualified to instruct you on what this all powerful being wants.  The catholic church, where the pope is literally viewed as divine (and I like this pope but divine he ain't), is particularly dangerous in its heirarchical approach.  The idea that the clergy is godly and to be implicitly trusted is why they've gotten away the abuse that they've gotten.

All of this is not to say that religion has no good value.  I know some organizations do charitable work, and it can be valued for the individual.  But, I think that these services can be rendered without the dogma and heirarchy that can, and have frequently, been abused to terrible ends.  I've felt a sense of community in many places without religion being involved. 

I think the good of religion can be done without religion.  However, I think the bad done by religion cannot be done without it (or at least would be much harder to do).  To beat up on the Catholic Church some more, can you think of ANY organization that could survive such a scandal as the catholic church did and still survive?  

Let's start from the bottom and go all the way up from to the top:

1. Any big political organisation, would probably be able to survive such a scandal and survive.

@bolded: Literally everywhere teaches one to fundamentally just obey what they're told. Schools teach you that you need to obey the higher ups and lick up to them as much as you can to get somewhere. Politics teach you to obey and trust them and hence most politicians ( Especially Presidents/Prime ministers ) are seen as people who know better than you and should be trusted even when that may be unqualified or are like puppet behind strings. The bad thing about this is that previously these where not actually the main functions of such institutions. School was there to make you use your brain and not be spoon-fed and respect towards people in power should be the reason why you obey them and not just because. Politics was set up to fundemantly make you not obey whatever the upper powers choose, you and the rest of the nation could change whatever the higher-ups had chosen. All of them yet, turned to teaching the average folk that obedience is key. Hence we can almost come to a conclusion that practically humanity cannot exist with someone whether it be that person up there ( Who may or may not exist ) or someone whose seen as a role model down here.

@First Paragraph:

Suffering incredibly due to influence of religion comment: Extrimists exists in everything whether it be politics of religion. Most people in the middle East/Africa are suffering at the hands of a couple of groups of extremists who are thirsty for blood. There are then numerous wars being waged for religion but we are all human and hence pride for one's homeland may sometimes get out of control. They may be fighting in the name of religion but I highly doubt that that's the whole story.

@Pedo comment: Ounce again we are all human, you have urges and we all have urges. Stuff like this happens everywhere and you really can't stop. You also can't blame a whole institution for a problem a small portion have made.

@Gays/Individual rights: Morality exists and you can't really help it, the church is just morally against gays. Ounce a black man dining in a restaurant was almost forbidden but the church back then supported against all negative tides, equality for these people. Unfortunaly the religious Morality ( or catholic Morality ) only goes this far.

@Getting killed: And someone can get killed/ hasseled for being Gay/Black/White/politically different/ everything really. It's how it goes and it really can't be stopped. 

1. Any big political organisation, would probably be able to survive such a scandal and survive.

If it was found that democratic party had systematically molested children and tried to cover it up, do you think people would be voting for them the next election?  Yeah, I'm not buying this.

@bolded: Literally everywhere teaches one to fundamentally just obey what they're told. Schools teach you that you need to obey the higher ups and lick up to them as much as you can to get somewhere.

As a teacher, I take issue with that.  Schools I've been in have teachers explain the logical reason for rules, and inflict rational consequences for disobeying this.  Of course, some teachers do demand obedience, but that is not inherent in the system.  There is no school for instance (well except religious schools) that teach that teachers are appointed by god and if you disobey them you go to hell.  Blind obedience exists in some schools, but it is not built into the fabric of the institution as it is with religion.

Politics teach you to obey and trust them and hence most politicians ( Especially Presidents/Prime ministers ) are seen as people who know better than you and should be trusted even when that may be unqualified or are like puppet behind strings.

No.  We vote for politicians every few years.  That's quite different from blind obedience.  There are flaws with the system, but the questioning of politicians is actually built into it.  If people were blindly obedient, you wouldn't have politicians spending millions of dollars each campaign system, and you wouldn't have competition for offices.  The approval rating for the Senate is like under 20%.  Obama's is just under 50.  This is not blind obedience.  

The bad thing about this is that previously these where not actually the main functions of such institutions. School was there to make you use your brain and not be spoon-fed and respect towards people in power should be the reason why you obey them and not just because.

No.  Public schooling was actually designed in large part for the expressed purpose of religious instruction.  Protestant organizations were a huge driving force in the public schooling movement in the US.  There has been a movement towards less authoritative styles of education.  Ask a long time teacher if students were more obedient now or in the past.  And, objectively, the use of discipline is WAY restricted compared to the past.  

Politics was set up to fundemantly make you not obey whatever the upper powers choose, you and the rest of the nation could change whatever the higher-ups had chosen. All of them yet, turned to teaching the average folk that obedience is key. Hence we can almost come to a conclusion that practically humanity cannot exist with someone whether it be that person up there ( Who may or may not exist ) or someone whose seen as a role model down here.

Yeah, I don't think that either.  The media regularly tears into politicians.  Turn to fox news to see Obama consistently torn down.  Look at your facebook feed to see how obedient people are.  Look to MSNBC or the Daily Show to see the obedience and respect we have for republicans.  

Then, watch what happens when someone draws a cartoon of muhammed or says something negative about Jesus.  The levels of obedience are nowehere NEAR comparable.

Suffering incredibly due to influence of religion comment: Extrimists exists in everything whether it be politics of religion. Most people in the middle East/Africa are suffering at the hands of a couple of groups of extremists who are thirsty for blood. There are then numerous wars being waged for religion but we are all human and hence pride for one's homeland may sometimes get out of control. They may be fighting in the name of religion but I highly doubt that that's the whole story.

It is not the whole story, and I didn't mean to imply it was.  But religion is the rallying cry.  In the middle east, people have been trained to believe that obedience to Allah is mandatory.  So, groups use that to take advantage of the impressionable.  Religion is a weapon that is being used, and without it, these extremists would lack the power to do what they wished.  

Of course in other cases, religion is the ACTUAL cause of suffering.  Look at what is going on with Christianity in Uganda or how the Catholic Church is encouraging people in Africa not to use condoms.  

@Pedo comment: Ounce again we are all human, you have urges and we all have urges. Stuff like this happens everywhere and you really can't stop. You also can't blame a whole institution for a problem a small portion have made.

Kids are trained to implicitly trust priests.  Adults believe priests are holy and so they trust their kids with them.  The church, in an effort to protect its images, actual moved pedophiles around the world to avoid prosecution.  This isn't just something that happend.  It is something that was enabled by the institution.  They taught kids to trust the holy man, and the holy man could then abuse that trust.  This would not have happened on this scale in ANY OTHER organization.  What other institution has had a pedophilia issue on this scale?  

@Gays/Individual rights: Morality exists and you can't really help it, the church is just morally against gays. Ounce a black man dining in a restaurant was almost forbidden but the church back then supported against all negative tides, equality for these people. Unfortunaly the religious Morality ( or catholic Morality ) only goes this far.

No... the church did not support equality for black people.  Some chuches did others didn't. 

But here's what it comes down to.  You don't need the church to tell you that we shouldn't enslave people or limit their rights.  In fact, the Bible specifically endorses slavery. The idea that "maybe it's not right to enslave people" is something we could have gotten to with or without the church.

On the contrary, the idea that homosexuality is a sin is almost intrinsically linked to religion.  There is no real logic to claim that this activity is really harmful, unless you're a wandering desert tribe that needs a high rate of population growth.  Do you suggest that it is just a coincidence that the vast majority of those against gay marraige are Christian?  That proposition 8 in California was funded mainly by the mormon church?  That the governor of Louisianna is refusing to accept the Supreme Court's ruling because "God defined marraige as being between a man and a woman?"

You don't need to be a Christian to dislike gays (and not all Christians do dislike gays), but this is the only justification that can be given that people will accept without just saying, "you're a biggot".

@Getting killed: And someone can get killed/ hasseled for being Gay/Black/White/politically different/ everything really. It's how it goes and it really can't be stopped. 

It can't be stopped completely.  But one way to reduce it is to eliminate an institution that specifically TELLS US TO KILL GAY PEOPLE "If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."  It's in the holy book of the institution. The opposition to homosexuality is almost entirely religious.  Don't throw politics and race into this, because those are seperate issues.  This is a "sin" that is, as of now, intrinsically linked to religion.

First off, if institutions like school or politics DID encourage blind obedience the way Christianity does, I'd want to change those too.  I don't think this is the case, but even if it was that's irrelevant.  If other organizations encourage blind obedience that doesn't mean religion can too.  It means all of them should be reformed or abolished.

A key difference between religion and the others is that others are necessary institutions.  We need schools.  So if they're flawed, we need to reform them.  We can't just get rid of schools and governments, so we have to fix the flaws.  But, we can live without religion, so we can just dump the baby Jesus out with the bath water. 

It seems that your defense of religion amounts to "well other people do it too". And in some cases that's true.  In some cases that's not.  People have been killed for drawing Mohammed.  How can this happen with religion?  People are killed for apostasy.  How can this be without religion?  (See also condoms in Africa,evangelism in Uganda, honor killings in Muslim countries, and so on).  One of my favorite religion only sins is desecration of the host.  In the middle ages, people were LITERALLY killed for breaking crackers that were said to be part of the body of Christ.  Let me repeat that.   http://www.religioustolerance.org/jud_blib2.htm

PEOPLE WERE KILLED FOR BREAKING CRAKCERS.  Yeah this was years ago, but the reason those things don't happen anymore is because of how much we have weakened the institution of religion.  And when you look at countries that are still theocracies, you see things just as insane like the death penalty for insulting a prophet.

Yeah, violence happens, and getting rid of religion wouldn't solve every happen in the world.  But there are a lot of things that are specific to religion that would be rid of.  To go back to the catholic church example, are priests the only pedophiles?  No.  But they are the only pedophiles who have a whole congregation who is told from birth that they are to be trusted implicitly.  They are the only pedophiles who would be trusted to be alone with so many children despite having no sort of credentials to indicate that they should be alone with children and no system of accountability.  Their postion of divine authority made it far less likely for the Children to speak out..  They are the only pedophiles who have the backing of an organization that would hide them from justice.  

The priests were able to do what they did because of the obedience training.  That training and that dogma is a powerful tool that is and has wreaked havoc on the world.  Unless there is a compelling reason to keep this tool around, we should be rid of it.

Vor said:
JWeinCom said:

Well, that's true.  Judaism was first, then Christianity was a reformed version of Judaism that claimed the Messiah had come, and Islam is an addition that claims that God made more revelations to Islam.  

So that's true, those three religions (which are not the only three) have the same god.  What I'm unclear on is whether you think that this god actually exists.

Yes I believe He is exist. To many coincidence to prove His existence.

Can you be more specific with your evidence?

Esiar said:
ReimTime said:

There are more than 2, I'd say. It can be true and have been copied and altered to fit one group's beliefs, culture, and worldview. Or it could be false in the same way. Your telephone game analogy brings up an interesting point however, what with so many people nowadays taking the Bible so literally. I havea theory that most of the stories in the Bible are moral fables.

Can you elaborate? On all the stories you'd say are moral fables?

That I'd *theorize* are moral fables Certainly.

One example would be of Adam and Eve. This one is also listed in my long post which you can see^^^^^ up there a little. If it was not true, I could theorize that it was a warning of sorts that originated out of fear of the unknown. Adam and Eve lived in ignorant bliss until they became self aware, being teased by the snake (natural human curiosity?) into eating from the Tree of Knowledge (depending on the version you have read; Eve eats the apple etc). They are then thrown out. It could be a moral fable of not to look too heavily into our own existence, because as long as we mind our own business and live in ignorance, we will be happy. If I could push my other theory into this; opening metaphoric boxes and being punished for it is a story shared across different religions (Greek Mythology and Pandora for example). Kind of like a human could have two instinctual reactions to a rustling bush (it could be dangerous, but I am also curious), Eve is torn over whether or not she should eat the Apple, and Pandora (warned by Zeus to NEVER open the box, but very curious of her gift) is similarly torn. I could argue that the story is telling us to stay safe rather than find out what is in our existential box.

Profound, huh?

#1 Amb-ass-ador

ReimTime said:

Ok JWein, I have some stuff for you to look at. Feel free to pick apart my interpretation that I posted a while ago in a different thread:

Here's the thing: I believe religion was first created out of the fear of the unknown. The fear of what happens to us when we die. When we became self aware as a species, we had the drive to figure out everything around us. Since then it has been a debate of to-know-or-not-to-know; a fear of the unknown but also a fear of knowledge.

I think fear of the unknown was a large factor.  I wouldn't say the sole factor, but a part of it for sure.

I look at Religion in one way: it is a set of rules to live by so that we may stand as a community against the fear of the unknown, and a warning to stay human instead of seeking out all there is to know about our Universe. It's like saying ignorance is bliss because ignorance is safe.

Again, I'd say part, but not all.

Not the best example, but look at most Japan, a culture that seems to have always been very accepting of death; much more so than Western cultures. Japan has little to no Westernized Organized religion, only adopting such principles as Christian Weddings. Japan is spiritual; not religious.

Can't really comment.  It seems right, but I don't know all that much about Japan.  Only what I learned from playing Shenmue and watching anime.

Now onto religious stories that warned us of knowledge.

Look at the Biblical story of Adam and Eve. They follow the rules and live in blissful ignorance. The snake (which I see as Natural Human Curiosity) tells them to eat from the tree of knowledge, which makes them self aware of their true existence, and they get thrown out of Eden.

Pandora's box in Greek Mythology; a myth that has many different interpretations, one such being this: Prometheus steals fire from the heavens and gifts it to the humans, which angers the Gods, and Zeus decides to punish them to compensate for the boon they were given. The Gods gift Pandora (the first woman on Earth) to the humans, and she brings with her a box which contains many evils. She was told to never open it, but she grows curious of the gift which she brought with her, and opens the jar, unleashing disease/famine etc upon the world.

With so much unknown in the world we are told to place our faith on a deity, so we might feel safe and communal. This deity is the only thing we have to believe in. We miss out on all the other knowledge, but we stay blissfully ignorant of all the evils that may be lurking within that knowledge.

So many people grew so many different interpretations of religion over the years. Wars were fought over holy ground, ideas and people were rejected because perhaps they were a little different to what they had grown up believing. It is hard to advocate change in a system that I believe is all about keeping things the same; staying safe and secure.

Yeah.  Sure.  I agree with a lot of this assessment, but do you think this blissful ignorance is a good thing?

There are also good things that I take away from religion. I do like the feeling of community that one gets while going to church. I do like many teachings from Jesus (the person) and Muhammad, who preached a peaceful existence. Siddhartha Gautama and Guru Nanak also preached many good things. Pope Francis (the current one) is a very bright spot on the Catholic Church.

Like everything else in life, I am free and welcome to accept some aspects while rejecting others. This is how I see it. I grew up going to Church and believing in God, and I still think that there are some things that cannot be explained. Is that because I was conditioned to believe so? Who knows, that is a conversation for another day.

The thing is, it's fine to say "hey I liked this thing Jesus said", so long as you're evaluating it.  The danger is when some people say "Jesus said it so it must be true".  I actually happen to like the current pope, and I agree with a lot of the things he believes, even if I came to those beliefs without the spiritual component.  

It's fine to draw on all sources for philosophy, but when you are told "this book is perfect and inerrant" then you're set up for trouble.

Around the Network
Esiar said:
Vor said:

I find out that both Moslem, Christian, and Jew have similar history. So I assume there was a one single religion in the past but somehow it split to our current religion. But this is merely my opinion.

It'd seem like that. From a secular stand-point, Christianity came from Judaism, and Islam is like a mash-up.

But what I believe is that Judaism (Non Messianic) came from the rejection of the Messiah, Christianity is following the Messiah, and Islam is a mash-up of sorts.

Well, that would be wrong.  Judaism existed before Christianity.  It didn't arise once they rejected Jesus' claims of being the Messiah. 

JWeinCom said:
ReimTime said:

Ok JWein, I have some stuff for you to look at. Feel free to pick apart my interpretation that I posted a while ago in a different thread:

Here's the thing: I believe religion was first created out of the fear of the unknown. The fear of what happens to us when we die. When we became self aware as a species, we had the drive to figure out everything around us. Since then it has been a debate of to-know-or-not-to-know; a fear of the unknown but also a fear of knowledge.

I think fear of the unknown was a large factor.  I wouldn't say the sole factor, but a part of it for sure.

I look at Religion in one way: it is a set of rules to live by so that we may stand as a community against the fear of the unknown, and a warning to stay human instead of seeking out all there is to know about our Universe. It's like saying ignorance is bliss because ignorance is safe.

Not the best example, but look at most Japan, a culture that seems to have always been very accepting of death; much more so than Western cultures. Japan has little to no Westernized Organized religion, only adopting such principles as Christian Weddings. Japan is spiritual; not religious.

Can't really comment.  It seems right, but I don't know all that much about Japan.  Only what I learned from playing Shenmue and watching anime.

Look at the Biblical story of Adam and Eve. They follow the rules and live in blissful ignorance. The snake (which I see as Natural Human Curiosity) tells them to eat from the tree of knowledge, which makes them self aware of their true existence, and they get thrown out of Eden.

Pandora's box in Greek Mythology; a myth that has many different interpretations, one such being this: Prometheus steals fire from the heavens and gifts it to the humans, which angers the Gods, and Zeus decides to punish them to compensate for the boon they were given. The Gods gift Pandora (the first woman on Earth) to the humans, and she brings with her a box which contains many evils. She was told to never open it, but she grows curious of the gift which she brought with her, and opens the jar, unleashing disease/famine etc upon the world.

With so much unknown in the world we are told to place our faith on a deity, so we might feel safe and communal. This deity is the only thing we have to believe in. We miss out on all the other knowledge, but we stay blissfully ignorant of all the evils that may be lurking within that knowledge.

So many people grew so many different interpretations of religion over the years. Wars were fought over holy ground, ideas and people were rejected because perhaps they were a little different to what they had grown up believing. It is hard to advocate change in a system that I believe is all about keeping things the same; staying safe and secure.

Yeah.  Sure.

There are also good things that I take away from religion. I do like the feeling of community that one gets while going to church. I do like many teachings from Jesus (the person) and Muhammad, who preached a peaceful existence. Siddhartha Gautama and Guru Nanak also preached many good things. Pope Francis (the current one) is a very bright spot on the Catholic Church.

Like everything else in life, I am free and welcome to accept some aspects while rejecting others. This is how I see it. I grew up going to Church and believing in God, and I still think that there are some things that cannot be explained. Is that because I was conditioned to believe so? Who knows, that is a conversation for another day.

The thing is, it's fine to say "hey I liked this thing Jesus said", so long as you're evaluating it.  The danger is when some people say "Jesus said it so it must be true".  I actually happen to like the current pope, and I agree with a lot of the things he believes, even if I came to those beliefs without the spiritual component.  

It's fine to draw on all sources for philosophy, but when you are told "this book is perfect and inerrant" then you're set up for trouble.

Forgive me if it seemed a little strange, it was directly copied and pasted so I did not really tailor it to the thread as best as I could. First of all, what do you mean by "Yeah. Sure."? *edit* you edited your comment so I'm editing mine:

*No. And that is because I am perhaps more interested in the world around me than your average dude. I want to know what runs the world around me, and I want to know what goes on inside a human's thoughts. Everything from the atomic level to the universal level is an interest.*

Anyhow I could look at the Bible in several different ways. One being that the Bible is a book of morals written by wise men, in the hopes of the human race staying communal, peaceful, ignorant (not in a bad way) and safe. In this same "questioning" viewpoint I could say that God is a loose term mean to explain all the things we do not know how to explain yet. In this way, God is a shrinking definition (for example, Greeks used Gods to explain natural phenomena such as earthquakes. Now that we know what earthquakes are, we have discarded those gods as myths). What do you think of this viewpoint?

#1 Amb-ass-ador

JWeinCom said:
Esiar said:

It'd seem like that. From a secular stand-point, Christianity came from Judaism, and Islam is like a mash-up.

But what I believe is that Judaism (Non Messianic) came from the rejection of the Messiah, Christianity is following the Messiah, and Islam is a mash-up of sorts.

Well, that would be wrong.  Judaism existed before Christianity.  It didn't arise once they rejected Jesus' claims of being the Messiah. 

From a Christian perspective: If someone who says they believe Judaism really believes it, they will accept Jesus as Christ, because Jesus said that if you truly believe Moses, you would believe him, because Moses wrote of him. So, the people who reject/ed Jesus don't truly believe in Judaism, because they are rejecting the prophecies of the prophets sent by God. So, non-messianic Judaism, from a Christian stand-point, is an offshoot of the real Judaism. Jesus completed the law and the prophets, so Christianity would be the complete Judaism.

Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!

I was raised as a Christian and religion was never really forced on me. I said grace at the dinner table, said my prayers at night, went to Church on some Sundays and especially on Christmas Eve/Christmas. I still do that both as a sign of respect and because I believe it may have become a cultural thing to do; and for Jesus because  I believe Jesus was very much a real and physical person; as was Muhammad. Beyond that I am very much agnostic. Some things cannot be explained; but mystery very much intrigues me! As I said I have studied World Religions in University so feel free to question me as well.

To clarify this a little more, I am an agnostic Christian. As a rule of thumb I question absolutely everything I hear or see. It's just the way I am. Call me naturally curious and throw me out of Eden!

#1 Amb-ass-ador

ReimTime said:
JWeinCom said:
ReimTime said:

Yeah.  Sure.

Forgive me if it seemed a little strange, it was directly copied and pasted so I did not really tailor it to the thread as best as I could. First of all, what do you mean by "Yeah. Sure."? *edit* you edited your comment so I'm editing mine:

*No. And that is because I am perhaps more interested in the world around me than your average dude. I want to know what runs the world around me, and I want to know what goes on inside a human's thoughts. Everything from the atomic level to the universal level is an interest.*

Anyhow I could look at the Bible in several different ways. One being that the Bible is a book of morals written by wise men, in the hopes of the human race staying communal, peaceful, ignorant (not in a bad way) and safe. In this same "questioning" viewpoint I could say that God is a loose term mean to explain all the things we do not know how to explain yet. In this way, God is a shrinking definition (for example, Greeks used Gods to explain natural phenomena such as earthquakes. Now that we know what earthquakes are, we have discarded those gods as myths). What do you think of this viewpoint?

When I said Yeah sure.  I just meant I agree, but wasn't entirely sure if you were trying to prove something.  It makes more sense knowing it was from a different topic.

On your viewpoint, I don't think the authors of the Bible were particularly wise.  Perhaps they were wise at the time, and what they did made sense back in the day, but it doesn't now.  But, if you view the bible as just rules written by men (wise or otherwise) you're free to pick and choose what you want.  So, that's fine.  If you think Jesus or Moses or whoever said something that made sense, by all means listen.

As for the shrinking god, I agree.  There is a concept about this called "god of the gaps".  But, I don't think we need to plug in a god.  It's ok to just not know certain things and to not shoehorn in explanations that cannot be proven or justified.