By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Female Leads In Games

I didn't feel this way at all about horizon or recore, but AC and Dishonored i did

Around the Network
The Fury said:

So?

Esiar said:

I feel like some games have female leads for the sake of having female leads, and not because they think that should be the direction of the game. Not Tomb Raider, but perhaps something like that Dinosaur Robot game  that was announced at E3. Like to make it more "unique", and like it is breaking gender stererotypes like guys being the hero.

I dunno, it just seems like that to me.

They do it only because they think that should be the direction of the game. It's their game, let them make the choices on who leads it.

Then it is good. It's just wrong if they want to make feminist propaganda, which I don't think they are.

Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!

ohmylanta1003 said:
Lawlight said:

You haven't even seen gameplay. ReCore seems like of those games where they should give you the choice between 3-4 characters. In other words, that they are avatars and not characters.

Now that I think about it, we should bet.

On what? We don't know what type of game it is.

Would you say the same thing about hell blade, and Heavenly Sword? I think your digging real deep considering more than 99% of the games we play have male leads. Remember The Last Guardian started out with a female lead, but was changed do too a boy being stronger, which made him fit the role better. I disagree with strength being a reason for changing from a girl too a boy, do in part, that regardless of gender, when need be, you'll find a way, or die trying.

Would you say the same thing about hell blade, and Heavenly Sword? I think your digging real deep considering more than 99% of the games we play have male leads. Remember The Last Guardian started out with a female lead, but was changed do too a boy being stronger, which made him fit the role better. I disagree with strength being a reason for changing from a girl too a boy, do in part, that regardless of gender, when need be, you'll find a way, or die trying.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
ohmylanta1003 said:

Now that I think about it, we should bet.

What's your point? I said the main character was a female, you said that the main character is not necessarily female, but probably customizable in some way (choose male/female, features, clothing, etc.). We disagree, let's bet.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

ohmylanta1003 said:
Lawlight said:

What's your point? I said the main character was a female, you said that the main character is not necessarily female, but probably customizable in some way (choose male/female, features, clothing, etc.). We disagree, let's bet.

That't not at all what I said. I said that depending on the type of game this is, it would make no sense to have a female character as opposed to a customisable one. If the game has no story, why have a fixed character?

Horizon and Dishonored 2 were the most interesting looking games at E3 for me, mostly because of they looked fantastic. It's an added bonus that they're both led by females. I like white male protagonists but it's incredibly redundant; Assassin's Creed has my attention again purely because there's a female assassin. It's funny when people say "it feels forced" when the lead is a woman when in reality every white male led video game is forced - white males are the games biggest market.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Esiar said:
The Fury said:

So?

They do it only because they think that should be the direction of the game. It's their game, let them make the choices on who leads it.

Then it is good. It's just wrong if they want to make feminist propaganda, which I don't think they are.

It's on'y the media that are making it 'feminist propaganda'. A game developer is very simple, they think "Let's make a cool game about such and such." then they make it, if the main character happens to be female during the process of making that game, they don't really think beyond the fact they are female.

I remember and interview between a journalist and a developer on The Puppeteer, the journalist asked why the player didn't have a choice in the gender of the main character (it being male), the developer just said 'Because he's male.', you know what the rest of us were thinking at the time? "Cool, new game."

Hmm, pie.

As long as the game is good i really don't care.