By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Female Leads In Games

I feel like some games have female leads for the sake of having female leads, and not because they think that should be the direction of the game. Not Tomb Raider, but perhaps something like that Dinosaur Robot game  that was announced at E3. Like to make it more "unique", and like it is breaking gender stererotypes like guys being the hero.

I dunno, it just seems like that to me.

Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!

Around the Network

In part maybe, but then again any game that does not adhere to rigid formula can be accused of doing so in order to be unique. Is it really a bad thing that they say "Hey, let's make the main character stand out from other ones"?

Augen said:
In part maybe, but then again any game that does not adhere to rigid formula can be accused of doing so in order to be unique. Is it really a bad thing that they say "Hey, let's make the main character stand out from other ones"?

It's fine, but I don't think it would make sense to do it if it isn't their vision for the game. I'd want to make what I want to make, I wouldn't like to change something because people might not like that one aspect.

Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!

Yeah like Squid girl, females shouldn't squirt like that, it's all this new age nonsense.

I liked that the lead in Recore was female. It looked like it fit quite well.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Around the Network

What's the reference point? Why would the default position be male? What possible reason would anyone have in thinking that the idea of having a female lead in Horizon was contrived?

I think you're looking more into something that simply isn't there. I see no reason why sex would play a role in importance of character, given what we've seen.

I find it funny that when my friend mentioned it's cool that Horizon had a female role I thought "wait what?..oh shit, yeah it does"

I like to think they chose a female role for that game just because it fit best.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

In regards to Horizon's female protagonist, I can understand why someone might feel the gender has been chosen almost as if a gimmick, given how some at sony were actually worried about how people might take to the issue. After all, it is a long standing belief (that is supposedly backed up by market data not just in video games but for the whole of the entertainment industry) that general audiences, women included, are simply more interested and ready to accept male leads. However, I think it's too early to make such a judgement with Horizon as we don't know much of anything about the character outside of her being female or the story itself besides its setting.

Well most games have male leads just because they do, not like the main character genre matters much 99% of the time. It just so happens that amazing things, like gainning super powers, being the chosen one, being absurdly skilled at firearms etc can happen to both male and female so its nice ot see games having female leads nowadays, an even split would be ideal.

Yeah, I had the same feeling about Horizon - unfortunately, lot of other aspects of what I've seen from that game made me feel similar.

As for TR - as someone who enjoyed watching rhythmic gymnastics when I was kid (not ashamed to admit it), seeing Lara doing all sort of crazy, yet incredibly elegant stuff in TR1 for the first time simply made to me a lot more sense than if it was a guy. One of the aspects (among many, if not all) that this horrid TR Reboot completely missed on.