By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - By its 1 year anniversary, Destiny will have $80~$100 worth of DLC. Is this ok?

Considering a lot of features that should have been there at launch... no. I won't be buying Destiny or any of its sequels.

Around the Network

No and its the reason this industry is getting worse.

I hope Sony doesnt market Destiny 2 and neither should Microsoft. Sony really shouldnt now that they have things like CoD, BF, Star Wars BF.

Mystro-Sama said:
Hell no. But dude bros mainly buy this game and they have no fucking clue what's going on in the industry so it can't be helped.

Dude bros don't play Destiny but well...

Turkish said:

I hope Sony doesnt market Destiny 2 and neither should Microsoft. Sony really shouldnt now that they have things like CoD, BF, Star Wars BF.

Destiny is only smaller then CoD in your list lol

ethomaz said:
Turkish said:

Destiny is only smaller then CoD in your list lol

Star Wars BF is gonna be huge lol, I think it will sell more than any Battlefield games

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Hell no. But dude bros mainly buy this game and they have no fucking clue what's going on in the industry so it can't be helped.

Dude bros don't play Destiny but well...

Why wouldn't they?

Destiny will remain as the biggest flaw in this gen of gaming for me. Incredibly interesting setting and art style, fun gameplay, but an astonishingly dismal amount of actual content that players have to pay a premium for. And one has to grind for a very long time to even see the later content. Such high hopes for what has turned into an increasingly tall mountain of money and BS.

The worst part is, it won't go away. It looks like this piece of garbage is going to be featured every year at Sony's E3, ready to reopen this wound. Delayed games, broken games...no, Destiny is the low point of this gen for me.

midrange said:
hansrob00 said:

Well then, call me sad. I will resist this trend of turning games from something that own or at least you can use when you want, how you want, or for as long as you want vs. a service which includes using it only when you are lucky enough to log into the servers, for as long as it is profitable for them, and usually them billing you multiple times for less content, you know like a service.

I'm not calling you sad, I'm calling your decision sad if anything. You are avoiding great games based on a paranoic and baseless claim. No one is charging you multiple times for less content by offering you more paid dlc. If anything, the always online is a development decision, not a business decision. Think about it, if destiny had a local mode, the system and not a server would have to keep track of the progress, meaning the progress can be locally hacked so that the hacker can change the progress and get all the rare items. Is it fair that he logs back in with every rare item against people who play the game fairly?

Paranoid? Go look at the many 1 star reviews for elder scrolls online, Diablo III, Simcity, or spore along with many others on amazon complaining about always online requirements. That's not paranoia those are real people with incredibly bad experiences. 

Server shutdowns - type into google Video game server shutdown and you will literally find hundreds of games that have disappeared off the face of the earth. I'll do one better type in EA server shutdowns and you can find a few articles pointing how EA is shutting down the servers of their sports games after only 1 or 2 years. There is even a lawsuit that is going on right now about it.

As for being charged multiple times, you do realize that activision tried to force Destiny's fans to buy content they already had just to get a little bit of new content for $80. You can look up quotes from the CEO of EA and other major publishers of wanting to turn gaming into a service.

How about more proof? How about the balance of games being altered in order to encourage people to make those "optional" in game purchases.

Diablo 3 - according to 10s if not 100s of 1 star reviews complaining of being forced to buy in game items to beat hell.

Assassin Creed Unity - 10s of 1 star amazon reviews complaining about the microtransactions. 

Elder Scrolls Online - where they encourage you to buy a horse with real money after your $60 purchase (watch angry joe's review)

Forza 5 - 10s of 1 star amazon reviews

Bravely Default - watch pro jared's review

Those are just a few examples of the publishers trying to have multiple cracks at the apple after the initial $60 purchase and these examples having been popping up more and more.

Perhaps you are being naive, if you don't realize what is going on around you with something that started late last gen and has been getting worse and worse. 

hansrob00 said:
midrange said:

I'm not calling you sad, I'm calling your decision sad if anything. You are avoiding great games based on a paranoic and baseless claim. No one is charging you multiple times for less content by offering you more paid dlc. If anything, the always online is a development decision, not a business decision. Think about it, if destiny had a local mode, the system and not a server would have to keep track of the progress, meaning the progress can be locally hacked so that the hacker can change the progress and get all the rare items. Is it fair that he logs back in with every rare item against people who play the game fairly?

Paranoid? Go look at the many 1 star reviews for elder scrolls online, Diablo III, Simcity, or spore along with many others on amazon complaining about always online requirements. That's not paranoia those are real people with incredibly bad experiences. 

Server shutdowns - type into google Video game server shutdown and you will literally find hundreds of games that have disappeared off the face of the earth. I'll do one better type in EA server shutdowns and you can find a few articles pointing how EA is shutting down the servers of their sports games after only 1 or 2 years. There is even a lawsuit that is going on right now about it.

As for being charged multiple times, you do realize that activision tried to force Destiny's fans to buy content they already had just to get a little bit of new content for $80. You can look up quotes from the CEO of EA and other major publishers of wanting to turn gaming into a service.

How about more proof? How about the balance of games being altered in order to encourage people to make those "optional" in game purchases.

Diablo 3 - according to 10s if not 100s of 1 star reviews complaining of being forced to buy in game items to beat hell.

Assassin Creed Unity - 10s of 1 star amazon reviews complaining about the microtransactions. 

Elder Scrolls Online - where they encourage you to buy a horse with real money after your $60 purchase (watch angry joe's review)

Forza 5 - 10s of 1 star amazon reviews

Bravely Default - watch pro jared's review

Those are just a few examples of the publishers trying to have multiple cracks at the apple after the initial $60 purchase and these examples having been popping up more and more.

Perhaps you are being naive, if you don't realize what is going on around you with something that started late last gen and has been getting worse and worse. 

Wow dude, you seem to be having a lot of issues.

First of, by very nature of MMO's, destiny has to be always online and connected to a server. How else would you be able to connect a large group of people in the most seemless way possible?

I already demonstrated a key value of always offline, hacking. As long as a non local server monitored by the host company is keeping track of progess, the chances of hacking a game and retrieving items unfairly is much lower. Especially important for competitive games.

League of Legends, one of the biggest games in the world, needs an online connection to be played. Nearly all of Blizzard's games are always online, and yet their games (especially hearthstone), are still being played by millions (not just dozens of 1 star reviewers).

And in terms of servers shutting down, unless you have a near infinite supply of money to just throw out to server maintenance, no game will have an online server that lasts forever. The only thing that could work is having consoles themselves be hosts, or having people buy and use their own servers. Letting people use their own consoles as servers is very unreliable and depends on the internet connection of the person hosting the match, not the quality of the game. In terms of letting people pay for servers to stay up, EA tried that and eventually, people lost interest in paying for it. So guess what, servers have to be shut down in order to avoid costs.

In terms of repurchasing content, destiny devs have given a public apology for what they tried to do, basically establishing that they can't get away with that shit. Basically, if bungie/activision couldn't pull it off, it won't happen.

What is wrong with wanting more dlc from a game that millions continue to play and enjoy, again no one is forcing you to buy it. You are literally calling these games bad due to a small feature in a large game.

I wouldn't say I'm naive since I actively play games that require internet connection. I have been enjoying all kinds of games from last generation rather than skipping out on great titles in order to prove a point.

Is cheating a major problem on the consoles? Most of the companies usually have an offline mode and an online mode that are separated. As far as I know, they aren't having major problems with cheating. Nintendo does it the same way, again, I'm not hearing a lot about hackers having a field day with the Nintendo servers and seem to be relatively secure. Cheating on PC is another matter, which the online requirement is not going to stop because the person still has access to the files. At least I keep on hearing.

The examples you brought up are free2play games. I'm talking about fully priced retail games When you play a free2play game the expectations are different.

The rest of the points I brought up you either made excuses for or  sidestepped completely. The Bungie example, yes they were stopped, but it doesn't change intent and a general trend I have been seeing in the video game industry among major publishers.

You come at it from the point of trust, I come at it from the point of cynicism. I have simply seen too much BS to have any trust. If I believed that deceiving or lying to the consumer was not cooked into the business model perhaps I would be more like you, but that is not the case.