By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What do you want from the FF7 remake?

The Fury said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Scoobes said:

I did. Have you played it recently? It's actually not that good, even for an ATB system. It's simplistic at best and the ATB system in general is dated.

Not recently, I plan to soon though. Did play some FF8 earlier this year however and for me the ATB system is still miles ahead of what any other RPG has done.

I don't understand how people can say the ATB is dated when FF12, 13, it's sequels and FF14 all used it or a variation anyway. We cannot say is the ATB is dead until a game is made properly with it again and SquEnix just are not doing that.

You know, traditional 2D platforming in this modern gaming 3D era is dated too yet you don't see developers changing the very basis of that gameplay to fit modern times. They just make new games.

I'm still wondering why people want a remake of an FF game but not have tha ATB. You want a game with FF15 gameplay, play that, you want Crisis Core, play that. FF7 should remain with FF7 gameplay.

But then I don't want any extended Universe story involved in FF7, either, leave Crisis Core prequel stuff and DoC sequel stuff out of FF7, it was fine on it's own, still is. Added lore does not help the story at all.

ATB isn't like 13, and 12 is very far away from ATB and more in-line with MMOs. I haven't played XIV, but there hasn't been a single player ATB battle system since IX.

The ATB system as it worked in 7 was pretty simplistic. Spamming 'Attack' with the odd 'Cure' was fine for most battles and with all the characters except Aerith where you had to use magic for her to really influence a fight.

I quite liked FFX's turn-based approach to battles as it was quite strategic once you got into it. I think a modern variant of that with some form of real-time positioning and control could work.

As for the 2D vs 3D platform comparison, they're two different genres with two different ways of playing. JRPGs have experimented with plenty of different battle systems that show ATB just isn't needed in the modern day. I'd much rather they moved it forward with more interesting ideas then the system as it was in the original. 

As for the lore, I think it's fine to add extras as long as they're optional and don't interfere with the main storyline. The odd 30 minute dungeon or added item to give a nod to some of the characters from outside the main game aren't going to damage the core story.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
Hynad said:

Yes. A remake. Not a remaster.

A remake, not a REIMAGINING!

Remaster is the thing coming out on PS4 in October, Remake is meant to be remaking the game. Seems people don't know the difference between the 3.

Yes, a remake... like Tomb Raider Anniverssary was to Tomb Raider.

Modernised the controls and gameplay system, kept a similar level layout but with reimagined the puzzles and the same core characters and storyline.

Similar to what I want with this remake.

Ka-pi96 said:
Scoobes said:

ATB isn't like 13, and 12 is very far away from ATB and more in-line with MMOs. I haven't played XIV, but there hasn't been a single player ATB battle system since IX.

umm, ATB is exactly like 13. It's significantly sped up, only lets you control one character and has no option to wait but it is most definitely an ATB system.

The older games (such as 7) allowed you to customise the speed of the battle, so if you wanted it to be really fast and similar to 13 then you could do that, alternatively you could slow it down as well as having the option to freeze all atb build up (effectively pausing the battle) when one of your characters gauges is full, useful for both fast and slow paced battles.

It also has almost no strategic control beyond paradigm shifting. It's automatic battling with the odd bit of shifting at set points of a battle.

I don't see how that's like ATB. Just seems wrong.

No more random encounters, that shit is completely out of date.

To release?

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Around the Network

I think, in general, old school fans (as me) would like the exact same game with nice graphics. I do not even think that in this way the game could live up to the competition and the expectations of today's market. It's just too old.

They will probably try to refresh the mechanisms and tweak the combat system to make it more similar to XV.

So, to answer the OP question: I don't know!