By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Death sentence. Yes or no?

Tagged games:

HollyGamer said:
So for people who against death sentence, if i kill your whole nations, family, friend, your wife, and your children, i will be gladly stay happy in prison eat a free food and reading a book. LOl

That's almost exactly what happened to Pol Pot, except he didn't even go to prison, just house arrest.  Though he did only kill his own people.

Around the Network

I am for this of course, but as Ned Start said: "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword"

Shadow1980 said:

Now, I have little sympathy for violent criminals and there's a very good reason to think that death is a suitable punishment for those guilty of extremely heinous crimes like terrorism and genocide, but there is a fine line between justice and revenge. If capital punishment is intended solely to make criminals suffer, then is it truly justice?

Is it really suffering? If it is an injection. It's not like they're ripping someones testicles out. Then laughing.

But that's hardly the only issue at hand. What of the fact that innocent people have been mistakenly put to death? Where is the justice there? Is making sure that murders feel the full might of our righteous fury important enough to where we should tolerate the occasional execution of an innocent person?

Both sides have errors. No side will be 100%. That is the meaning acceptable losses. What isn't acceptable is the lose of life, for no reason, by a 100% convincted killer, in the first place. How about a compromised. A person is 100% caught by video. That person is allowed the death sentence. While other forms of eveidence has to do more to allow it.

The purpose of justice is not retribution or revenge, and we should not accept the collateral damage that is the wrongly condemned. And even aside from moral concerns there's also pragmatic concerns. As mentioned earlier, it costs more on average to execute someone than it does to imprison them for life. Also, the death penalty is not a proven deterrent

The cost is thanks to all the checks that are avaible to the person who is sentenced. It's that long year wait to finally do it. That's the saftey net. When did the Boston bombing happen? And they're now just sentence. Shows those checks are working. I seriously doubt a deterrent is the real point. From my POV it's to get rid of the life. So they have no chance of repeat. Just like you killing a rat or bug in your home. You're doing it to end the situation. Not for revenge or justice. Would it be acceptable if say: the persons death would bring the dead back to life? That's an even harder grey area. Granted, not possible. But still that thought is there.

HollyGamer said:
Puppyroach said:
HollyGamer said:
So for people who against death sentence, if i kill your whole nations, family, friend, your wife, and your children, i will be gladly stay happy in prison eat a free food and reading a book. LOl

Well if you kill another person you are a murderer, if you kill a group you are a terrorist, if you kill thousands your are the president of a country and a hero; funny how things work? :)

And how does killing a murderer help those affected? It will not ease their pain, it will not help them put things behind them and it will send the signal that murder is ok, as long as the society says it is.

I thing it's not funny especially when we talk about "INNOCENT PEOPLE BEING KILLED",  it just to funny how you people againts a death sentence, death sentance is not about revenge or ease the pain of some victim, it's more then that,  it's in human to punish a person in prison actually if the reason is to torture.

it will send the signal that murder is not OK, because you tell to other potential murder who is not "sick mentally " to become more serious if they want to act with this crime. It will send a signal to all society that murdering people will judge seriously.

Statistically, having a death sentence does not reduce cases of crime. (The correlation is very slightly in the opposit direction). Prison is not torture in all parts of the world - european nations largely continue to treat them as people, prisons serving mainly to rehabilitate criminals (with surveillance of psychiatrists), and keepimg them from doing any harm untill the treatment is over.

even for a criminal, I do not see the point of doing any harm soley for that purpose. Northern Europe shows that it is very possible to have low crime rates with mild punishment, in that case, why not?

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

McDonaldsGuy said:
Normchacho said:
The death penalty really doesn't make sense to me...

1. It costs more than life in prison. (to the people bringing up appeals, when someone is sentenced to death their case goes through a mandatory "automatic appeal" to be as sure as possible that nobody missed anything).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2014/05/01/considering-the-death-penalty-your-tax-dollars-at-work/

2. The death penalty doesn't deter crime.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/04/30/theres-still-no-evidence-that-executions-deter-criminals/

3. We do sometimes execute innocent people. This fact alone should be enough to stop the use of the death penalty because there is NO acceptable margin of error when it comes to execution.

http://www.criminaljusticedegreesguide.com/features/10-infamous-cases-of-wrongful-execution.html

Your third link pretty much proves me right: DNA has made it extremely improbable for innocent people to be executed. 15 years ago I would have been against the death penalty except for extreme cases, but now I feel it is accurate enough.

Many people have been found innocent after spending many years on death row. In fact just recently (I think his name was Glenn Ford) was found not guilty after spending 30 years on death row and was just weeks away from execution. Yeah, DNA is one hell of a defense.

Around the Network

There is no peace without war or death.

mofili said:
Aeolus451 said:

It has everything to do with it. Some see killing a molester for the crimes that he or she did is justice. It's not only logical to execute someone for their serious crimes but also morally justified. 

Option 1. Society pays for the room and board of killers, raptists and molesters for life. Sometimes we release them and they do it again.

Option 2. We execute them and bury them in unmarked mass graves then plant a rose garden on them. They stop being a burden to society.

Wow it´s really disgusting how some of you people think

We can do without the personal attacks while debating, thanks. 

HollyGamer said:

It's just about the same as a comfort inn but with bars. haha

I've been told that it's a slippery slope, inhumane, and could lead to active pursuit of inmates (as in, finding any possible reason to put a person behind bars) if private prisons get involved, but instead of the death penalty via injection, chair, or whatever, I say experiment on them.

I'm talking about the serial killers, child rapists, etc. The worst of the worst. The people who do it simply for their own enjoyment. That drug that the FDA is too afraid to put to trials? Put it on these inmates and see what happens. If they die, well then shit, they were on death row anyway. If they don't die and we can validate any sort of results, then we've just cured AIDS without spending billions on clinical trials and waiting years to put it into the market.

"But that it gross. That's torture". And how do you think the 8 children this guy beat and raped felt? You know, maybe criminals should learn to feel a little empathy for their crimes. You know that scene in Family Guy where Peter is in prison and the inmate promises to stab Peter, and at the end of the episode, he stabs himself and says "oh, that's what that feels like? I probably shouldn't do that anymore".

I know prison should be about rehabilitation and not revenge, but some people just can't be rehabilitated.  And in those scenarios, at least make their heinous crimes lead to something good.

Aeolus451 said:
HollyGamer said:

It's just about the same as a comfort inn but with bars. haha

Makes you wonder why 99% of the population hates prison life if this was actually the case. There is delusion in the words typed out by you and the person you quoted, and this is fact so don't try and tell me that I'm just being hateful. Prison life is well documented to change people (for better or worse) and to take the engaged existence out of their well being. Unfortunately - due to people putting words into other peoples mouth - I need to explain that I'm not saying certain people can change and should be set free just pointing out that any amount of jail time causes introspection, which may be worth nothing in the end, I can admit.

Not many people can say they are comfortable with seclusion, even fewer are comfortable with forced seclusion. You can list off all the "great" things about prison life but your narrow-mindedness shines like the sun when you don't even consider the environment, the "tasty" food, the people that each separate jail possesses and the list goes on. Its not a pleasant place to be, its depressing, empty. You guys are making it seem like all these guys do is activities, play video games, hang out and have quality time...these things are not in abundance in fact prisoners are limited to a short period of time.

Tipping ones scale so heavily to one side - no matter the manner - is not very fruitful, in fact its counter productive because the only way to tip your scale so heavily on one side is to remove perspective that may take form against the other side. Doing so leads to skewed and useless results.