By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Death sentence. Yes or no?

Tagged games:

sabvre42 said:
Volterra_90 said:

He has a name, George W. Bush. He bombed nations and killed people for oil and yet he has a retirement pension and he's not even in prison. Actually, he's not the only one who deserves a trial... And, yet, I wouldn't kill him in cold blood. 

Of course -- the whole oil argument. It always comes back to that.

I guess Obama, Clinton and every other democratic president gets free passes on their military actions.

Sorry, I remark that he's not the only one, but he was the first who crossed my mind. I would add """"democratic"""" presidents too.

EDIT: Who actually commit war crimes. We, humanity, are still stupid enough to kill ourselves for money.

Around the Network
Volterra_90 said:
HollyGamer said:
So for people who against death sentence, if i kill your whole nations, family, friend, your wife, and your children, i will be gladly stay happy in prison eat a free food and reading a book. LOl

He has a name, George W. Bush. He bombed nations and killed people for oil and yet he has a retirement pension and he's not even in prison. Actually, he's not the only one who deserves a trial... And, yet, I wouldn't kill him in cold blood. 

well actually he is just a puppet, so i feel sorry for him that one death sentence is not enough for him Lol , later in Hell he will be resurrected and torture and then resurrected and then torture for all eternity.

HollyGamer said:
So for people who against death sentence, if i kill your whole nations, family, friend, your wife, and your children, i will be gladly stay happy in prison eat a free food and reading a book. LOl

I wonder, have you...ever served time in a maximum security prison? XD

Obviously, no one can seriously reply to this since a big reason that the death penalty exists is emotional cartharsis for the victims (how effective it is at being that isn't a discussion I'm ready to have). Since this has thankfully never happened to me and hopefully never will, I can't really answer this with any authenticity. That said, the emotions of the victims only matter so much in our justice system anyway, and with good reason.

But I mean, if you'd enjoy spending the rest of your life constantly under lock and key and under the control of other men, then I'm not sure you ever really valued it enough for it to matter what happens to it.

Prison is punishment, but that doesn't mean it needs to unconstitutionally cruel. You'll spend the rest of your life eating mediocre food, doing only what the prison allows, never being able to pursue your dreams or to travel. It's slow, long-term, lifelong suffering, rather than something that'll end in 10 to 15 years. You'd be less likely to appeal under these conditions, so I wouldn't have to see you again. Your life is effectively over, mine goes on. I'd like to think that'd be enough. 

If prison were truly not all that bad, than is there even a point in having them, since they are suppose to deter potential criminals and rehabilitate others (the latter of which doesn't happen as often as it needs to to my understanding)? Why do so many people try to get out of them?

HollyGamer said:

Well if you kill another person you are a murderer, if you kill a group you are a terrorist, if you kill thousands your are the president of a country and a hero; funny how things work? :)

And how does killing a murderer help those affected? It will not ease their pain, it will not help them put things behind them and it will send the signal that murder is ok, as long as the society says it is.

Puppyroach said:
HollyGamer said:

Well if you kill another person you are a murderer, if you kill a group you are a terrorist, if you kill thousands your are the president of a country and a hero; funny how things work? :)

And how does killing a murderer help those affected? It will not ease their pain, it will not help them put things behind them and it will send the signal that murder is ok, as long as the society says it is.

I thing it's not funny especially when we talk about "INNOCENT PEOPLE BEING KILLED",  it just to funny how you people againts a death sentence, death sentance is not about revenge or ease the pain of some victim, it's more then that,  it's in human to punish a person in prison actually if the reason is to torture.

it will send the signal that murder is not OK, because you tell to other potential murder who is not "sick mentally " to become more serious if they want to act with this crime. It will send a signal to all society that murdering people will judge seriously.

Around the Network

Everyone's against it until someone they loved is murdered in cold blood.

I'm very strongly FOR the death penalty, wish they'd introduce it to the UK.

nuckles87 said:
HollyGamer said:

I wonder, have you...ever served time in a maximum security prison? XD

Obviously, no one can seriously reply to this since a big reason that the death penalty exists is emotional cartharsis for the victims (how effective it is at being that isn't a discussion I'm ready to have). Since this has thankfully never happened to me and hopefully never will, I can't really answer this with any authenticity. That said, the emotions of the victims only matter so much in our justice system anyway, and with good reason.

But I mean, if you'd enjoy spending the rest of your life constantly under lock and key and under the control of other men, then I'm not sure you ever really valued it enough for it to matter what happens to it.

Prison is punishment, but that doesn't mean it needs to unconstitutionally cruel. You'll spend the rest of your life eating mediocre food, doing only what the prison allows, never being able to pursue your dreams or to travel. It's slow, long-term, lifelong suffering, rather than something that'll end in 10 to 15 years. You'd be less likely to appeal under these conditions, so I wouldn't have to see you again. Your life is effectively over, mine goes on. I'd like to think that'd be enough. 

If prison were truly not all that bad, than is there even a point in having them, since they are suppose to deter potential criminals and rehabilitate others (the latter of which doesn't happen as often as it needs to to my understanding)? Why do so many people try to get out of them?

In my country drugs dealer live happy in prisoners, killer only stay in prison for a short of time, and corrupter live with a luxury rooms in the prisoners, but guess is not just in my country. So no not every should be rehab in prisoner, it's a myth that only sick people who doing a criminal.

osed125 said:
Wright said:

Highly doubt anyone in this forum will know where this image comes from. Amazing film by the way.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future."

McDonaldsGuy said:
Low78wagon said:
I wish he could be tortured tI'll he begs for death then keep him alive in a tiny box. I'm for the death penalty but this sounds better.

I say use him for experimentation - use him to find a cure for HIV/Ebola/Diabetes/Alzheimer's, etc. etc.

That's a great idea!

sundin13 said:
The_Yoda said:
Are any of you that oppose the death penalty ok with war?

First of all, if you are trying to draw parallels between the two, the situations don't really overlap or have many similarities. Their really is no reason to bring up war in a discussion about the death penalty.

Second of all, while there have certainly been instances where the United States were overly quick to jump into war, war is seen as a necessary evil. If a situation exists in which America and American citizens are in danger due to the actions of another country, war is the last resort in assuring the safety of the American people. So, am I okay with war? Well I certainly am not "pro-war", however, there are some situations in which war becomes necessary...

archer9234 said:

In a perfect world. Yes. But this world runs on money. So it's not gonna happen. Because it would of already. I'm a pesamist. I agree that people can be redeemed. But when it comes to funding. People fail. I can argue other subjects. Like schooling. That should have no funding limit. Since that IS the FUTURE of the world. But still, no one cares if the world is filled with dumb shits.

While the world does run on money, the prison system is a HUGE drain on taxpayer money and it costs a lot of money to keep people imprisoned (and arguably more to implement the death penalty). While the first step in reducing these costs is alteration of penalties, the suggestions that Reim made would require an initial investment but could potentially result in a long term savings.

Money money money.