By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gaming needs better Writers. or at least adapt novels more.

I can't recall what I was either watching or reading about exactly this, but the lady who wrote for bio shock and some guy that does assassins creed claim story is almost always the lowest priority when games are being designed, and some hardly get around to it at all.

I agree though, I looooove a fleshed out world. It's why I've become obsessed with the lores of warcraft and Tamriel among others, and I definitely enjoy a game more with a strong narrative.

Around the Network

I actually agree that I'd love to see more games adapted from Books. A lot games spew generic worlds and plots and I honestly don't think they're worth telling lol. I'd rather they take some already established quality material and build on that

bananaking21 said:
Somebody needs to play The Last of Us

somebody should read more good books...

Airaku said:
I can't really agree with this. There are tons of great written games and they aren't as rare as you think. I love Bloodborne and Dark Souls is quite decent. The plot however is very sloppy and non-existent in my opinion. The game was made for gameplay purposes only and the story is dabbed in like pin-up notes. I would say the story is about as deep as your average Super Mario game. I've said it once and I'll say it again! I love Bloodborne and have hours logged in. I'm STILL playing it! ^.^ Elder Scrolls is another bad example because its story is like Zelda (but debatably weaker). Something to keep the gamer going but so bare boned that it can focus on gameplay mechanics.

I would use examples like Naughty Dog games for an example of fantastic writing. When you play their games for a second time you actually realize that their huge plot twists and major revelations were actually seeded in the game and even have hints that are unavoidable to notice once you know them.

I could make a huge list of well written games and it's been getting better and better. There are tons of old games with great plots as well, granted not as many! However there were still TONS that existed! :)

Not a fan of their writing at all, Uncharted is very much wannabe hollywood movie. But you why didn't mention fire emblem ?

Give Holden Caulfield a Shotgun and roam around new york for Grand Rye Auto...

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
Somebody needs to play The Last of Us

I did, not a big fan of Naughty Dog's writing.  Even though the writer, Amy Hennig wrote the amazingly written Legacy Of Kain series. 

That series has one of the best written scripts in all of video games.

Nicklesbe said:
If you want to play games with good writers get a playstation. You conveniently leave out Naughty Dog games which has great writing.

I'm a huge fan of Playstation's Japan Studio. I consider Shadow of The Colossus to be a masterpiece. 

Writing in games is generally horrible, it's the one thing along with AI where I miss improvements in modern games.

TES father of W/CRPG? Oh dear. Anyway, TES games have always been more about exploration than story, nothing has really changed there in last 20 years, except they are worse RPGs then they were back in days.

Honestly, I'm hoping Bethesda will not try to go with these trend of cheap and prosaic 'emotional' Hollywood-ish writing that is so prevalent in industry now, and just stay at their usual average to bad writing.

I agree that the intricacies of character development are better in the Witcher 3 than in Inquisition.

Conversely, I would say that Mass Effect did this (and other story concerns) better than the Witcher 3 did. Indicating Bioware has this capability, but just missed the mark (a little bit, Inquisition was mostly incredible) with Inquisition.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS