By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I don't understand this Reggie quote

mine said:

Just take a look at the sales number of the different Metroid games here at VGChartz.

The "fans want a Metroid"? Why didn't they buy Corruption, the Trilogy or Other M?

Curroption is great. The Trilogy a steal. And Other M is at minimum a solid Metroid.

Trilogy had an extremely short production run and was hard to find on shelves pretty shortly after release.  Corruption was also somewhat difficult to find later on, but not to the same degree as Trilogy.  It also didn't get a Nintendo Selects release like MP 1&2 did.  As for Other M, I'd imagine some would disagree with your assessment of it.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
SonicAway said:
Hiku said:
Faxanadu said:
He said rather straight out that they are developing it, but that they are too far away from release to announce it. It is a rather clear statement he makes, imo.

They haven't even started development on a new Metroid, according to a post-E3 interview with Tanabe.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-next-proper-metroid-prime-would-likely-now-be-on-nx

Unless they started a few days ago, that's not what Reggie was saying.

Tanabe said the next Metroid PRIME hasn't started development. Even the title of the article says this.

Prime is just a subseries of Metroid.

"It is a great idea, I agree. Truth be told, "making HD games takes a lot of time and resources," "I haven't been able to collect a team or the resources to do it."

No matter if the next 3D Metroid is called Prime or something else, it's clear that Tanabe has not been able to gather the resources to make a 3D HD Metroid.

Tanabe doesn't have involvement with the Metroid series apart from the Prime games, including even Pinball and Hunters.

He's the producer of this subseries and that's that. What he says might not be applicable to the franchise as a whole.

There may very well be a Metroid game in development under the baton of Yoshio Sakamoto.

New Metroid before 2016!

markodeniro said:
New Metroid before 2016!

If you read the thread.... just no.

At the earliest its 3years or more away from now, and to be made for the NX console, not the WiiU.

noname2200 said:
KLAMarine said:
twintail said:
The problem with these sort of comments is that Reggie just comes across as someone who feels its ok to sleight what the competition is doing.

Where is the sleight?

He's criticizing their competitors for showing CGI trailers of very early games which will not release for several years. That's the dig he's making.

Okay, and what exactly is the criticism? Did he call other companies lazy? What did he call them?

JRPGfan said:
KLAMarine said:

Had he said something like "vs. what other companies do which is to announce a project that you may not see for five, six years. It’s just not the way we do things because we're professionals" then I would consider it a jab but he did not.

Even though he doesnt say "because we re professionals" like you said, its obviously implied he means nintendo is better than the rest, because they dont do so.  In short its just the same as if he had said "because we re professionals" at the end there.

Also it was obvious it was a jab at sony and TLG.

Its a negative attitude, if your product is better than the rest, all you need to do is point out whats good about it, instead of attacking your competitors products. People will understand you, without haveing to resort to tactics like that.

But Reggie didn't attack any products. He does not make any explicit reference to TLG nor did he say games that have been years in development like TLG are inferior in any way.

All he said was "it’s just not the way we do things."

archer9234 said:

No one said pull it out of thin air. But if Nintendo cared to restore the franchise to good standing. The creation phase of a console Metroid should of started at the end of M:OM's build. Or when the bad sales started coming in. So at this E3. They would of had a real game already in progress. This is what you should do, when you screw up. Obiously they didn't. They shelved Metroid. And kept passing on ideas. With M:FF. They didn't start that intill last year. And since it's a 3DS title. Less work is needed. Compared to a Wii U game.

All we saw was abandoned artwork pitches. Over these few years. So logically, if Nintendo has nothing now. It won't be for the Wii U, later. Unless they save the Metroid game, when the Wii U is dying? But after the NX reveal is finally done. Which would be retarded. And actually make the Metroid on NX comment be true.

If they're hiding a Metroid game. It's a retarded move. If they aren't, it's a retarded move. Either way they do it. Just like withholding those photos or whatever for Zelda U from this E3. They decided to make a 3DS Metroid game. And people saw what they didn't want. Not to mention, no Samus. They gambled, and it backfired.

So now they're stuck with a game that will be potentionally boycotted and or ignored. When it shouldn't of happend. I mean. The team could try to deal with the hate. By adding in Samus and other expected things to M:FF. And try to sway the haters back. At most I see Samus being shoe horned in by non important character selection choice.

Well, I can't comment on the internal workings of Nintendo but thankfully, Metroid fans have been very vocal about what they want and what they don't want. Feedback is always a good thing.

ohmylanta1003 said:
KLAMarine said:
twintail said:
The problem with these sort of comments is that Reggie just comes across as someone who feels its ok to sleight what the competition is doing.

Where is the sleight?

You've said this multiple times now. Are you trying to be dense or do you honestly not see it? People have explained it to you in previous posts and the mere fact that you keep on asking where the jab is makes me wonder if you have some sort of ulterior motive. The jab is there and it's fairly obvious.

So if there is a jab, what is it saying? Is it calling other companies lazy or is it calling other companies incompetent? Is it calling other companies that announce games that may not come out for five, six years stupid?

Dunban67 said:
KLAMarine said:

So there's been a recent quote attributed to Reggie Fils-Aime which goes as follows:

"Look, we know that the fans want a straight Samus Aran game. We also know that the best way to launch a game like that is to surprise and delight them, to give them a launch date, in an environment like this let them play it vs. what other companies do which is to announce a project that you may not see for five, six years. It’s just not the way we do things. We know the community wants to see a straight-up Metroid game. We know it."

The vgchartz article containing this quote then proceeded to explode in controversy. As of this post, this article has engendered 41 posts. What I don't understand is why. Anyone care to elaborate?

Other than this e3, Nintendo USUALLY touts gaes that are years away- so to say they don t is a straight up lie that he knows can eaily be disproven in this day and age of the interwebs-  They tout games years out when it works for them, when they don t have much coming up soon-  the only reason they did not talk about games 9+ months to several years in the future is due to the fact most of those games will be for a console(s) they have not announced yet

To be fair, Reggie did mention a five to six year time period. If I recall correctly, the next Zelda was announced in early 2013, a little over two years ago.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
markodeniro said:
New Metroid before 2016!

If you read the thread.... just no.

At the earliest its 3years or more away from now, and to be made for the NX console, not the WiiU.

If they release a Metroid on Wii U it will sell more than any Metroid before it.

KLAMarine said:
noname2200 said:
KLAMarine said:
twintail said:

Where is the sleight?

He's criticizing their competitors for showing CGI trailers of very early games which will not release for several years. That's the dig he's making.

Okay, and what exactly is the criticism? Did he call other companies lazy? What did he call them?

JRPGfan said:
KLAMarine said:

Had he said something like "vs. what other companies do which is to announce a project that you may not see for five, six years. It’s just not the way we do things because we're professionals" then I would consider it a jab but he did not.

Even though he doesnt say "because we re professionals" like you said, its obviously implied he means nintendo is better than the rest, because they dont do so.  In short its just the same as if he had said "because we re professionals" at the end there.

Also it was obvious it was a jab at sony and TLG.

Its a negative attitude, if your product is better than the rest, all you need to do is point out whats good about it, instead of attacking your competitors products. People will understand you, without haveing to resort to tactics like that.

But Reggie didn't attack any products. He does not make any explicit reference to TLG nor did he say games that have been years in development like TLG are inferior in any way.

All he said was "it’s just not the way we do things."

archer9234 said:

No one said pull it out of thin air. But if Nintendo cared to restore the franchise to good standing. The creation phase of a console Metroid should of started at the end of M:OM's build. Or when the bad sales started coming in. So at this E3. They would of had a real game already in progress. This is what you should do, when you screw up. Obiously they didn't. They shelved Metroid. And kept passing on ideas. With M:FF. They didn't start that intill last year. And since it's a 3DS title. Less work is needed. Compared to a Wii U game.

All we saw was abandoned artwork pitches. Over these few years. So logically, if Nintendo has nothing now. It won't be for the Wii U, later. Unless they save the Metroid game, when the Wii U is dying? But after the NX reveal is finally done. Which would be retarded. And actually make the Metroid on NX comment be true.

If they're hiding a Metroid game. It's a retarded move. If they aren't, it's a retarded move. Either way they do it. Just like withholding those photos or whatever for Zelda U from this E3. They decided to make a 3DS Metroid game. And people saw what they didn't want. Not to mention, no Samus. They gambled, and it backfired.

So now they're stuck with a game that will be potentionally boycotted and or ignored. When it shouldn't of happend. I mean. The team could try to deal with the hate. By adding in Samus and other expected things to M:FF. And try to sway the haters back. At most I see Samus being shoe horned in by non important character selection choice.

Well, I can't comment on the internal workings of Nintendo but thankfully, Metroid fans have been very vocal about what they want and what they don't want. Feedback is always a good thing.

ohmylanta1003 said:
KLAMarine said:
twintail said:

Where is the sleight?

You've said this multiple times now. Are you trying to be dense or do you honestly not see it? People have explained it to you in previous posts and the mere fact that you keep on asking where the jab is makes me wonder if you have some sort of ulterior motive. The jab is there and it's fairly obvious.

So if there is a jab, what is it saying? Is it calling other companies lazy or is it calling other companies incompetent? Is it calling other companies that announce games that may not come out for five, six years stupid?

Dunban67 said:
KLAMarine said:

So there's been a recent quote attributed to Reggie Fils-Aime which goes as follows:

"Look, we know that the fans want a straight Samus Aran game. We also know that the best way to launch a game like that is to surprise and delight them, to give them a launch date, in an environment like this let them play it vs. what other companies do which is to announce a project that you may not see for five, six years. It’s just not the way we do things. We know the community wants to see a straight-up Metroid game. We know it."

The vgchartz article containing this quote then proceeded to explode in controversy. As of this post, this article has engendered 41 posts. What I don't understand is why. Anyone care to elaborate?

Other than this e3, Nintendo USUALLY touts gaes that are years away- so to say they don t is a straight up lie that he knows can eaily be disproven in this day and age of the interwebs-  They tout games years out when it works for them, when they don t have much coming up soon-  the only reason they did not talk about games 9+ months to several years in the future is due to the fact most of those games will be for a console(s) they have not announced yet

To be fair, Reggie did mention a five to six year time period. If I recall correctly, the next Zelda was announced in early 2013, a little over two years ago.

He also said Nintenod only touts games that are playable immediatly -  which is not 5 to 6 years   ( i thin he said up to 6 to 9+/- months  or close but npt 1005 sure about the exact months-  t was pretty clear he was saying the "fundemetally" do not do what they have been and ost alwas have done-  so it was just a  dumb comment --

Edited your thread title to make it more informative and less click-baity.

Hiku said:
SonicAway said:
Hiku said:
SonicAway said:

Tanabe said the next Metroid PRIME hasn't started development. Even the title of the article says this.

Prime is just a subseries of Metroid.

"It is a great idea, I agree. Truth be told, "making HD games takes a lot of time and resources," "I haven't been able to collect a team or the resources to do it."

No matter if the next 3D Metroid is called Prime or something else, it's clear that Tanabe has not been able to gather the resources to make a 3D HD Metroid.

Tanabe doesn't have involvement with the Metroid series apart from the Prime games, including even Pinball and Hunters.

He's the producer of this subseries and that's that. What he says might not be applicable to the franchise as a whole.

There may very well be a Metroid game in development under the baton of Yoshio Sakamoto.

You say that as if the majority of the 3D console Metroid games aren't the Prime games. 3 out of 4 are. The only other one is Other: M which was recieved poorly. And Sakamoto produced and directed that one. So I think it's more likely that the critically acclaimed Prime series producer will be in charge of the next one. Especially since the fans are asking for another Prime game. Doesn't mean it has to be called Prime, but I think Nintendo are more likely to go with the vision of the more popular 3D Metroid games rather than the other one.

Anyway, you can always say that "maybe this guy just doesn't know", but I think this is a fairly good indication that they haven't begun development on a new 3D Metroid. Because I doubt they're going to bet on the Other: M concept again. And they said "we know what fans want", and they want another Prime game.

Yeah, you have a point there. I took Sakamoto for this example, but I was thinking more of his 2D Metroid projects.

But you're right, if what they've been saying is the truth, then they would be aiming for the most well-received concept.

I was pleased with his statement because it suggests he's listening and a tradional metroid is likely going to happen at some point.

I think as a result of the poorly received e3 people are out for blood and going over his various interviews searching to take offence at any silly thing they can drum up out of nothing.