By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I don't understand this Reggie quote

KLAMarine said:
bowserthedog said:
To me it is obvious Nintendo has either started creating it or they have begun the process of making it. I'm just happy Nintendo is acknowledging the existence of both Metroid Prime and Samus Aran. Brighter days ahead.

Let's hope so. Retro Studios was absent at e3 and Reggie did mention wanting to surprise fans with a Metroid game release.

I think that Microsoft Recore annoucment stating it is "from the makers of Metroid Prime" has kicked the final part of Nintendos Direct. 

The Directs ending was a bit of "let down". And this feeling and the perception of the Direct would have been totally different with a Metroid Prime U.

But showing Retros Metroid Prime for Wii U might have led to confusion and discussions about who is the real maker of Metroid Prime...

I have no doubts that an Metroid is coming to the Wii U in 2016. It is Samus aniversary after all...

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
Aielyn said:

You say they "do nothing". Have you considered that maybe there's one already well into development, but not set for release until, at earliest, end of 2016? The point Reggie was making was that they're not going to announce something like this well in advance without good reason.

For some reason this idea eludes many people. It's pretty obvious to me that the reason he said that with respect to Metroid is because they have a game in development that they don't want to announce too long before release. I guess reading between the lines is really hard or something.

Exactly. Another problem is their tendency to read something that isn't there. For instance, Tanabe said to Eurogamer: "If we started for Wii U now, it would likely take three years or so. So it would likely now be on Nintendo's NX console."

Conclusion? Apparently, this means "no Metroid for Wii U". But that's not what he said. What he said was that *if they started now*, it would be for NX. And if you read a little further, he also says this: "I'm not thinking about anything like that [partnering with another studio] right now. We have nothing to announce on working with any specific team."

Note the "partnering with another studio" is added by Eurogamer, because that's what they think he was talking about. But in the context, it's more likely him saying "I'm not in the process of deciding which studio I'm making the next Prime with". Which is true, if he's already working with a studio. Then he says "nothing to announce", which is often code for "it's happening, but we can't talk about it yet". If Metroid Prime 4 wasn't in development, he probably would have said something like "We have our hands full with other projects right now", rather than "we have nothing to announce".

In short, too many just don't get nuance.

twintail said:
The problem with these sort of comments, outside of the obvious hyperbole, and saying you know yours fans want something but instead delivering something else, is that Reggie just comes across as someone who feels its ok to sleight what the competition is doing.

Just take a look at the sales number of the different Metroid games here at VGChartz.

The "fans want a Metroid"? Why didn't they buy Corruption, the Trilogy or Other M?

Curroption is great. The Trilogy a steal. And Other M is at minimum a solid Metroid.

Nintendo has to deliver a new unique Metroid for the Wii U - I hope in 3D with WiiMote/Nunchuck controls. 

And as "unique" is always different from what the fans expect. 

But it is good this way as any series only catering its fans will become boring and stale.

Nintendo is at its best taking risks reinventing IPs over and over again. And thats what we all love Nintendo for.

They'll make one for the NX. Wasting one on Wii U that'll maybe sell 600,000 copies simply isn't worth Nintendo giving a studio a big HD budget to make a Metroid adventure game with.

I'm sorry that Wii U owners want the sun, earth, moon, and stars for their console, but it's selling like crap. Many companies would've ditched it already. Be happy with what you're getting (which is honestly a pretty damn good fall lineup in Mario Maker, Xenoblade X, Star Fox Zero, Fatal Frame, and Mario Tennis) and stop complaining about what you're not getting. 

There are limits to what Nintendo can do for a system that has this low of a userbase. 

Also expect Wii U games greenlit later on like Animal Crossing Amiibo Party and Star Fox Zero to have lower budgets. Nintendo isn't going to break the bank with some super expensive HD games just so a very small userbase can (most of whom really will end up buying the next Nintendo console anyway when they see the next Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Splatoon/Mario Kart for it) be a little happier. 

twintail said:
The problem with these sort of comments is that Reggie just comes across as someone who feels its ok to sleight what the competition is doing.

Where is the sleight?

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
twintail said:
The problem with these sort of comments is that Reggie just comes across as someone who feels its ok to sleight what the competition is doing.

Where is the sleight?

He's criticizing their competitors for showing CGI trailers of very early games which will not release for several years. That's the dig he's making.

Metroid Prime 4 confirmed for NX

KLAMarine said:
the_dengle said:
KLAMarine said:

I think people are seeing things that aren't there: some seem to think it's a jab at The Last Guardian but I don't understand how.

I don't really see it either. Maybe if he had said two or three years instead of five or six people wouldn't take it as a jab.

Had he said something like "vs. what other companies do which is to announce a project that you may not see for five, six years. It’s just not the way we do things because we're professionals" then I would consider it a jab but he did not.

Even though he doesnt say "because we re professionals" like you said, its obviously implied he means nintendo is better than the rest, because they dont do so.  In short its just the same as if he had said "because we re professionals" at the end there.

Also it was obvious it was a jab at sony and TLG.

Its a negative attitude, if your product is better than the rest, all you need to do is point out whats good about it, instead of attacking your competitors products. People will understand you, without haveing to resort to tactics like that.

He said rather straight out that they are developing it, but that they are too far away from release to announce it. It is a rather clear statement he makes, imo.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

KLAMarine said:
Esiar said:
"We know the community wants to see a straight-up Metroid game. We know it."
They know and do nothing.

Well one can't just pull a Metroid game out of thin air.

No one said pull it out of thin air. But if Nintendo cared to restore the franchise to good standing. The creation phase of a console Metroid should of started at the end of M:OM's build. Or when the bad sales started coming in. So at this E3. They would of had a real game already in progress. This is what you should do, when you screw up. Obiously they didn't. They shelved Metroid. And kept passing on ideas. With M:FF. They didn't start that intill last year. And since it's a 3DS title. Less work is needed. Compared to a Wii U game.

All we saw was abandoned artwork pitches. Over these few years. So logically, if Nintendo has nothing now. It won't be for the Wii U, later. Unless they save the Metroid game, when the Wii U is dying? But after the NX reveal is finally done. Which would be retarded. And actually make the Metroid on NX comment be true.

If they're hiding a Metroid game. It's a retarded move. If they aren't, it's a retarded move. Either way they do it. Just like withholding those photos or whatever for Zelda U from this E3. They decided to make a 3DS Metroid game. And people saw what they didn't want. Not to mention, no Samus. They gambled, and it backfired.

So now they're stuck with a game that will be potentionally boycotted and or ignored. When it shouldn't of happend. I mean. The team could try to deal with the hate. By adding in Samus and other expected things to M:FF. And try to sway the haters back. At most I see Samus being shoe horned in by non important character selection choice.