By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I don't understand this Reggie quote

I am glad to see Nintendo's strategy of trying to take jabs at the competition working out very well for them.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network
ihatefatkatz said:
KLAMarine said:
ihatefatkatz said:
It's a jab at Sony and the last guardian situation. Of course, it's going to offend people

How?

"what other companies do which is to announce a project that you may not see for five, six years."

It's a snarky reference to Sony and the last guardian, which happened to reappear at e3 after all these years missing from the public eye. Can't you see it? It was obvious from the start from where I'm standing.

Yeah, that's what I got from that, too. Reggie was throwing shade at Sony and TLG, which was officially announced at E3 2009 (six years ago). Which is pretty funny, really.

I haven't seen the original thread but I can picture a few Sony fans taking umbrage at the comment.

ihatefatkatz said:
KLAMarine said:
ihatefatkatz said:
It's a jab at Sony and the last guardian situation. Of course, it's going to offend people

How?

"what other companies do which is to announce a project that you may not see for five, six years."

It's a snarky reference to Sony and the last guardian, which happened to reappear at e3 after all these years missing from the public eye. Can't you see it? It was obvious from the start from where I'm standing.

I still don't see the jab. The portion where he said something negative about Sony and The Last Guardian.

atomicblue said:
ihatefatkatz said:

Yeah, that's what I got from that, too. Reggie was throwing shade at Sony and TLG, which was officially announced at E3 2009 (six years ago). Which is pretty funny, really.

I haven't seen the original thread but I can picture a few Sony fans taking umbrage at the comment.

I thought it was hilarious as well. 

People are just misinterpreting his statement like they do every statement that comes from him, Miyamoto, or Iwata. It's easy to sensationalize things like that.

Around the Network
Esiar said:
"We know the community wants to see a straight-up Metroid game. We know it."
They know and do nothing.

"What other companies do which is to announce a project that you may not see for five, six years. It’s just not the way we do things."
Most companies don't actually do this. It makes Reggie look ignorant.

You say they "do nothing". Have you considered that maybe there's one already well into development, but not set for release until, at earliest, end of 2016? The point Reggie was making was that they're not going to announce something like this well in advance without good reason.

As for "most companies"... it's pretty obvious that Reggie is talking about certain specific companies, not all companies. Sony re-announced The Last Guardian, a game that was announced in 2009 (that's six years ago, for those counting), and set for release some time next year... but they're not certain it will actually release next year. It was an obvious and blatant shot at Sony. Representing this as Reggie "looking ignorant" is nothing more than a dishonest representation of what he's saying.

RolStoppable said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
I am glad to see Nintendo's strategy of trying to take jabs at the competition working out very well for them.

Nintendo has already hit rock bottom, so now they don't have to hold back because they have nothing to lose anymore.

I see SEGA and I believe Nintendo could go into deeper trouble. I see Konami and I see a deeper bottom.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

the_dengle said:

People are just misinterpreting his statement like they do every statement that comes from him, Miyamoto, or Iwata. It's easy to sensationalize things like that.

I think people are seeing things that aren't there: some seem to think it's a jab at The Last Guardian but I don't understand how.

Aielyn said:

You say they "do nothing". Have you considered that maybe there's one already well into development, but not set for release until, at earliest, end of 2016? The point Reggie was making was that they're not going to announce something like this well in advance without good reason.

For some reason this idea eludes many people. It's pretty obvious to me that the reason he said that with respect to Metroid is because they have a game in development that they don't want to announce too long before release. I guess reading between the lines is really hard or something.

KLAMarine said:

I think people are seeing things that aren't there: some seem to think it's a jab at The Last Guardian but I don't understand how.

I don't really see it either. Maybe if he had said two or three years instead of five or six people wouldn't take it as a jab. If anything I think it would be more likely to be a jab at Square-Enix, who really enjoys announcing games before they've gotten very far in development. He's just saying Nintendo prefers to have some kind of general release period in mind when they announce stuff, and a close one at that.

There's a lot of focusing on the exceptions rather than the rule. But Zelda! But Xenoblade! But SMTxFE! Okay, there were a handful, now how about the dozens of games Nintendo released this generation under a year after being announced? Anyone want to talk about Fire Emblem Fates being announced earlier this year and already being available in Japan?

the_dengle said:
KLAMarine said:

I don't really see it either. Maybe if he had said two or three years instead of five or six people wouldn't take it as a jab.

Had he said something like "vs. what other companies do which is to announce a project that you may not see for five, six years. It’s just not the way we do things because we're professionals" then I would consider it a jab but he did not.