By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I don't understand this Reggie quote

Because you want to think on the best possible light while others are less forgiving.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Because you want to think on the best possible light while others are less forgiving.

No, it's people seeing things that aren't there.

KLAMarine said:
DonFerrari said:

He is clearly implying that other companies just show CG trailers of games that nobody knows the release date of to drum up hype (e.g. FF7), while nintendo show games that are almost complete and you can play soon and that's much better than what those other guys do.. right? Ofc he is not directly calling them out but he is implying it and it's obvious. This is the kind of shit he does all the time, if nintendo aren't doing it and the other guys are then it sucks. Imagine if people were complaining that sony took too long to release games. And someone said "well complex graphics and large open world immersive games take a much longer time to create than something like a cartoony platformer, which some other companies make" You wouldn't see that as a sleight? I think you're just being difficult for the sake of it because if you can't see this then I don't know what to tell you.

Kelzus said:
KLAMarine said:
DonFerrari said:

He is clearly implying that other companies just show CG trailers of games that nobody knows the release date of to drum up hype (e.g. FF7), while nintendo show games that are almost complete and you can play soon and that's much better than what those other guys do.. right? Ofc he is not directly calling them out but he is implying it and it's obvious. This is the kind of shit he does all the time, if nintendo aren't doing it and the other guys are then it sucks.

Where does Reggie say their way is better though?

Kelzus said:

Imagine if people were complaining that sony took too long to release games. And someone said "well complex graphics and large open world immersive games take a much longer time to create than something like a cartoony platformer, which some other companies make" You wouldn't see that as a sleight?

I wouldn't see it as a sleight. Nothing negative was said.

Kelzus said:
KLAMarine said:
DonFerrari said:

He is clearly implying that other companies just show CG trailers of games that nobody knows the release date of to drum up hype (e.g. FF7), while nintendo show games that are almost complete and you can play soon and that's much better than what those other guys do.. right? Ofc he is not directly calling them out but he is implying it and it's obvious. This is the kind of shit he does all the time, if nintendo aren't doing it and the other guys are then it sucks. Imagine if people were complaining that sony took too long to release games. And someone said "well complex graphics and large open world immersive games take a much longer time to create than something like a cartoony platformer, which some other companies make" You wouldn't see that as a sleight? I think you're just being difficult for the sake of it because if you can't see this then I don't know what to tell you.

I don't see the problem here. He didn't insult anyone else's games. He's simply saying that he doesn't prefer showing footage not representative of actual gameplay, and that showing a game too early will kill the hype. A lot of people that don't even play Nintendo games have problems with these practices and label them as dishonest marketing.

"Reggie insulted TLG. He's insulting the market leader! How low can you go?" I honestly don't know how people are leaping to conclusions here. Nintendo's opposition to CGI goes back before its inception, long before this guy was even hired. While he does come off as arrogant, he's simply repeating part of the company's more general philosophy which has been more or less consistent over several console generations.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:

Kelzus said:

Imagine if people were complaining that sony took too long to release games. And someone said "well complex graphics and large open world immersive games take a much longer time to create than something like a cartoony platformer, which some other companies make" You wouldn't see that as a sleight?

That's maybe a bad example but it's just about what is implied

Kelzus said:
KLAMarine said:

Kelzus said:

That's maybe a bad example but it's just about what is implied

So what is implied? That cartoony platformers don't take as long as other games? Is that a positive thing or negative thing? Seems pretty neutral to me.