By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It's time - Reggie needs to quit, Now!

For some reason, I've always thought (specially after his "Geoff, Geoff!, GEOFF!!!" few E3s ago) he'd be better off working for some drug cartel than Nintendo.

Around the Network

I think they hate Reggie gets is unjustified because he does as he's told, and I somewhat agree with the VR thing

they used to have someone who was much better
https://dromble.wordpress.com/2013/09/07/howard-lincoln-kicking-ass-before-reggie-came-along/

bobfulci said:
pleaserecycle said:
Honestly? I don't read any of Reggie's quotes from these articles as arrogant or anti-competitive. He never said that it was terrible to introduce games 4-5 years before they're released. He said that it's not a standard Nintendo procedure. He never said that virtual reality is bad. He said that it didn't seem like fun. He never said that Nintendo was better than Sony or Microsoft. He said that the PS4 and Xbox One lacked exclusives. Of course, when the title of an article states that he "slams" another console, it's emotionally charging his quote before the viewer has a chance to read it.

Thank you for the proper perspective. What these armchair CEO's fail to see is how difficult it is to run in a highly competitive field and what Reggie is doing is SELLING Nintendo. This idea that he should be complimentary to the competition is just plain sillyness. As a matter of fact, if Reggie were to compliment Sony, for example, the headlines would scream REGGIE CONCEDES DEFEAT!! REGGIE AKNOWLEDGES SONYS SUPERIORITY!! etc. So essentially he cannot win. But plain old business dictates to attempt to MINIMIZE the competition, especially when you struggling to keep up. Also, Reggie does not make decisions regarding game development. Understand this people! I thought this was fairly common knowledge by now but Japan runs the show 100% Reggie is the American face of the company.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-boss-phil-spencer-congratulates-sony-on-plays/1100-6421680/

Yes, people say Phil conceded defeat. /s

If you read my OP, you'd know i'm not asking for a president to be complimentry, but rather, anti-inflammotory per se to the competition. He doesn't sell nintendo as much as he tried to undersell others, including business partners or potential partners.

I agree. He knows this year E3 was dog shit and is trying to salvage what's left of Nintendo's reputation and its failing.

Around the Network
fireburn95 said:
pleaserecycle said:
Honestly? I don't read any of Reggie's quotes from these articles as arrogant or anti-competitive. He never said that it was terrible to introduce games 4-5 years before they're released. He said that it's not a standard Nintendo procedure. He never said that virtual reality is bad. He said that it didn't seem like fun. He never said that Nintendo was better than Sony or Microsoft. He said that the PS4 and Xbox One lacked exclusives. Of course, when the title of an article states that he "slams" another console, it's emotionally charging his quote before the viewer has a chance to read it.

Ok, saying VR isn't fun pretty much means no VR company, or VR developer will like nintendo and work with them under the leadership of Reggie because of his comments, especially as he says he hasn't played the VR games on the show floor. Think less about what he says, more about the impact of what he says. Nintendo, like many other companies, have varying announce-to-release timelines, so that whole statement is false. It's also false to suggest the consoles lack exclusives, especially when he said that even before the consoles had released, and wii u was 2 years old.

By saying these things, he is offending a part of the industry and the consequences could affect nintendo in the future. How is he going to convince fans to come to nintendo if he belittles fans of other consoles?

He said that the current state of virtual reality is not fun or social.  Do you honestly believe that this statement will impact the relationship between Nintendo and virtual reality developers?  He even mentioned that Nintendo had been testing virtual reality integration.  I read his statement as, "if Nintendo is going to implement virtual reality, it's not going to be anything like what you see today."  The truth, though, is that we're both extrapolating context from a few, possibly misconstrued, words.

I still don't see how he was belittling fans of other consoles, though.

I'm starting to agree with you.
I think NoA has an agenda to not bring potentially good games to NA. This isn't in stone of course, but a lack of Fatal Frame in the Digital Event and a complete lack of any info on Devil's Third for ages and the rumours of potential different publisher for it shouldn't happen. If they want to deny me some different experiences because they want to sensor or some BS is all the more reason for NoA and Reggie to be revamped.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

HoloDust said:
For some reason, I've always thought (specially after his "Geoff, Geoff!, GEOFF!!!" few E3s ago) he'd be better off working for some drug cartel than Nintendo.

Did you seriously find that harsh? I just watched it again and it's rather tame. I think part of the problem is the fact that Reggie may very well have some killer ideas for the WiiU but I guarantee you that his hands are tied. Nintendo JAPAN is very headstrong and not exactly willing to go into areas that other companies have been using (successfully I may add) to come into line with other competitive offerings. Why this is is anyone's guess but I am hoping that they correct a lot of things with the NX. The biggest mistake they MIGHT be making right now is not being fully invested in VR. I know this will absolutely revolutionize the industry with a much needed dose of WOWthat quite honestly has been missing for quite a while now.

Try to do at least ONE good deed everyday....

pleaserecycle said:
fireburn95 said:

Ok, saying VR isn't fun pretty much means no VR company, or VR developer will like nintendo and work with them under the leadership of Reggie because of his comments, especially as he says he hasn't played the VR games on the show floor. Think less about what he says, more about the impact of what he says. Nintendo, like many other companies, have varying announce-to-release timelines, so that whole statement is false. It's also false to suggest the consoles lack exclusives, especially when he said that even before the consoles had released, and wii u was 2 years old.

By saying these things, he is offending a part of the industry and the consequences could affect nintendo in the future. How is he going to convince fans to come to nintendo if he belittles fans of other consoles?

He said that the current state of virtual reality is not fun or social.  Do you honestly believe that this statement will impact the relationship between Nintendo and virtual reality developers?  He even mentioned that Nintendo had been testing virtual reality integration.  I read his statement as, "if Nintendo is going to implement virtual reality, it's not going to be anything like what you see today."  The truth, though, is that we're both extrapolating context from a few, possibly misconstrued, words.

I still don't see how he was belittling fans of other consoles, though.

How can you state the current state of vr is not fun and have not even played the latest round of vr games/demoes?!

"hey developers, I haven't played your games but they are not fun and they are not social"

Now is a developer who works hard, sweats on creating a fun VR game gonna take a comment like that lightly. It's insulting. 

Especially add the fact that virtually every news outlet had positive reactions for the VR shown at this e3. But Reggie always has negative stuff to say about other companies tech, he can't just say "I'm interested to see where it goes, currently I don't feel the applications are at a level of consumption for the gaming market, so we are therefore not pursuing VR at this moment"

That's an open-minded, non arrogant and embracing way to talk about their stance on VR without offending anyone's hard work.

Dusk said:
I'm starting to agree with you.
I think NoA has an agenda to not bring potentially good games to NA. This isn't in stone of course, but a lack of Fatal Frame in the Digital Event and a complete lack of any info on Devil's Third for ages and the rumours of potential different publisher for it shouldn't happen. If they want to deny me some different experiences because they want to sensor or some BS is all the more reason for NoA and Reggie to be revamped.

Exactly  we can't pin the blame on Nintendo japan as others are suggesting as reggie is or should be incharge of his turf, of maximising profits and customer positive feedback. He's certainly not helping Nintendos dwindling reputation by doing stuff like this