By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 6 Ways Nintendo Will Save Us From Awful Shooter Video Games

Credibility revoked, all points and arguments are by default lost and invalid. This is blatant plagiarism. The source made those points in Jest. Here's the source BTW http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-ways-nintendo-will-save-us-from-awful-shooter-video-games/. OP you bring shame on yourself and your family, and you owe Luke McKinney an apology, and proper credit.

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

Around the Network

Source added to the OP:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-ways-nintendo-will-save-us-from-awful-shooter-video-games/

That was a great read, though I do enjoy me some COD. I think the fundamental point is that not enough modern games are offering fun new play mechanics and imaginative settings - and I agree with this. Splatoon is one that certainly does, even in the shooter genre.

So true! Nintendo doesn't need ANY 3rd-party (mature) games that's why the Wii U is doing so well.... Or maybe Nintendo is trying to change their fans mind so they are more open to 3rd-party shooting games in the future (NX).

midrange said:
-Trimmed

I did admit the squid transformation as unique..... I was referring to the paintball gun as having already been done. Of course the character movement is different, but that is because no 2 games will have identical movement (outside of sequels). Shooters have already applied wall clinging, double jump, vehicles, sliding, diving, gliding, and many more movement options. Why does a squid movement mechanic deserve to be called the savior of the fps genre when borderlands, destiny, and mass effect a freaking fusing 2 genres of gaming!?

I do think that the games I mentioned are more ambitious. Them having a large budget only shows the confidence the publisher had in the concepts of the game. And it payed off seeing as how highly rated games like mass effect are.

Playing it safe does not imply no creative process at all. An excellent example is Smash Bros wii u. High budget, new concepts, core mechanics in tact, a safe but rewarding improvement in almost every way to brawl (except the subspace adventure). If anything, not delaying splatoon to add more concepts, weapons, maps, local multiplayer, customizable modes, voice chat with restrictions,... all to release in May is what I call playing it safe at the expense of creativity.

Splatoon may be fun, it may be colorful, but it is in no way, shape, or form, revolutionizing or saving a genre that has been innovating and thriving without it. 

Edit: Don't take this as a rant against Nintendo. I do think their Metroid Prime is more than an excellent example of a game that innovated the shooter genre with exploration, adventure, puzzle solving, and platforming. Splatoon however is Nintendo playing catch up to all the other huge mulitpplayer shooters, which is why I am surprised people are using splatoon over metroid as Nintendo's innovative shooter

@ bolded you would have to take that up with the OP (or more specifically the author of the original article) that was never my point.  I was pointing out that statement "Splatoon actually does not add anything to gameplay that hasn't been done before."  is a fallacy. 

I would say the idea of covering territory in your color is different when you look at shooters. I've played a couple of paintball games (none for very long) and the goal was still always hits or a king of the hill scenario. None of those games had paint rollers or brushes as weapons, they used paintballs that exploded on contact, not weapons that shot lines of paint. Outside of the roller and brush though the other guns are very similar to a paintball gun though I'll grant you.

I do like that you used the word "applied" earlier as none of the movements you listed were first introduced in shooters (most were first introduced in platformers).  The only other movement mechanic I can think of I hadn't seen elsewhere would be the cover system from Gears. The character movement in Splatoon is unique, and innovative (in my opinion, which will not change until someone shows me an example from an earlier game that is nearly identical).

Sorry I know I didn't address all your points but I have to get back to work.  I guess the jist of our disagreement is that Splatoon doesn't do anything new in your eyes and in mine it does a couple of new things.  As for your belief that splatoon isn't saving the shooter genre ... I can't say that I think it is either (again that was the author's point not mine).

Around the Network

by thrusting us into the horrible realm of 2d platformers?

The_Yoda said:
midrange said:
-Trimmed

I did admit the squid transformation as unique..... I was referring to the paintball gun as having already been done. Of course the character movement is different, but that is because no 2 games will have identical movement (outside of sequels). Shooters have already applied wall clinging, double jump, vehicles, sliding, diving, gliding, and many more movement options. Why does a squid movement mechanic deserve to be called the savior of the fps genre when borderlands, destiny, and mass effect a freaking fusing 2 genres of gaming!?

I do think that the games I mentioned are more ambitious. Them having a large budget only shows the confidence the publisher had in the concepts of the game. And it payed off seeing as how highly rated games like mass effect are.

Playing it safe does not imply no creative process at all. An excellent example is Smash Bros wii u. High budget, new concepts, core mechanics in tact, a safe but rewarding improvement in almost every way to brawl (except the subspace adventure). If anything, not delaying splatoon to add more concepts, weapons, maps, local multiplayer, customizable modes, voice chat with restrictions,... all to release in May is what I call playing it safe at the expense of creativity.

Splatoon may be fun, it may be colorful, but it is in no way, shape, or form, revolutionizing or saving a genre that has been innovating and thriving without it. 

Edit: Don't take this as a rant against Nintendo. I do think their Metroid Prime is more than an excellent example of a game that innovated the shooter genre with exploration, adventure, puzzle solving, and platforming. Splatoon however is Nintendo playing catch up to all the other huge mulitpplayer shooters, which is why I am surprised people are using splatoon over metroid as Nintendo's innovative shooter

@ bolded you would have to take that up with the OP (or more specifically the author of the original article) that was never my point.  I was pointing out that statement "Splatoon actually does not add anything to gameplay that hasn't been done before."  is a fallacy. 

I would say the idea of covering territory in your color is different when you look at shooters. I've played a couple of paintball games (none for very long) and the goal was still always hits or a king of the hill scenario. None of those games had paint rollers or brushes as weapons, they used paintballs that exploded on contact, not weapons that shot lines of paint. Outside of the roller and brush though the other guns are very similar to a paintball gun though I'll grant you.

I do like that you used the word "applied" earlier as none of the movements you listed were first introduced in shooters (most were first introduced in platformers).  The only other movement mechanic I can think of I hadn't seen elsewhere would be the cover system from Gears. The character movement in Splatoon is unique, and innovative (in my opinion, which will not change until someone shows me an example from an earlier game that is nearly identical).

Sorry I know I didn't address all your points but I have to get back to work.  I guess the jist of our disagreement is that Splatoon doesn't do anything new in your eyes and in mine it does a couple of new things.  As for your belief that splatoon isn't saving the shooter genre ... I can't say that I think it is either (again that was the author's point not mine).

I hope you know that splatoon doing its own unique thing does not add to a genre. That just means it's doing it's own thing. Examples of a feature adding to the shooter genre, was introducing vehicles, because that now is a feature that has been adopted by many shooters, or double jump, or gliding. It does not matter where the feature wasn't inspired from, if it is a new feature that sways other games in the same genre to also implement it, that is a feature that adds to the genre. Unless every shooter lets you become a squid or implements paintbrushes, I don't think splatoon made anything that adds to the genre, it just does it's own unique thing.

I am actually now curious to know which shooters you've played aside from splatoon (feel free to not respond to this), because given the ones I've played, splatoon is most certainly not the most creative.

I also doubt I will convince you of anything so for the sake of time, I'll let you have the final word

CarcharodonKraz said:
by thrusting us into the horrible realm of 2d platformers?

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

Big Thanks KyleStrutt. Truth well written.

Splatoon is a revelation and those who don't "get it" just "won't get it".

Thats how humans are "wired". And I'm fine with that. I don't need to play CoD, Battlefield etc. .

The traditional "bloody" FPS tend to rewire brains and thus make traditional games feel unsatisfying.

Splatoon offers the same or even better "hunter" feeling AND manages to satisfy the inner child.

As a result Splatoon does not "burn" the player while "burning the candle on both sides". Which is something very very hard to accomplish...

So, Nintendo's going to send reps out with you when you go shopping and say No, that's a game you don't want to buy? Because that's really how you save yourself from shitty games....don't buy them.