By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo isn't ready for next gen.

Regarding the whole home console market/ 3rd party problem, They need to buy either Ubisoft or EA. As simple as that.

What you hate EA and think they are the incarnation of the devil? The fact is that Fifa is key for mainstream access to the market in Europe and Madden and other sports games (NHL for Canada) are key to Nort-America. This will also provide a flow of "mature" IPs. They need to create a domino effect which by having what mainstream gamers wanna buy + their own great Nintendo IP they attract the rest of the third party publishers (the take over also acting as a credible commitment of Nintendo to other kind of content compared with what they traditionally do). With this, they could seriously undermine the position of Microsoft and compete directly against Sony.

Nintendo has ton of money and a smart release of games on smartphones can literally bring billions to the firm to reduce the risks of the take-over. After this they just need smart planning of releases: on smartphone= simple and cheapest version, portable= best quality and value for money portable version of the game with high end graphics and home console = ultimate version for "hardcore gamerz".

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
You don't think Nintendo has been prepping for a new console? They may not be outright throwing details in your face but if you actually cared to pay attention they are clearly onto something new that they seem to believe in. It's naïve to think that Nintendo wouldn't have a plan in action before they release the NX. Hell, just the fact that they released the codename for their next console should prove to you that they are indeed doing something.

Did you even read my post? lol

Mystro-Sama said:

Let's be honest, they aren't. Reasons:

1. They have absolutely no idea who they're catering to. They are beginning to dip their toes in 'mature waters' but still are obessed with the family audience that doesn't exist anymore. Proof of this is in their E3 this year where they intentionally left out games like Fatal Frame and Devil Third because it wouldn't fit with their kiddy puppet show leaving older Nintendo fans hanging.

2. They're cheap when it comes to hardware. Their main excuse for this is they use every ounce of power in their systems, which is true but really doesn't mean much if your system can't handle modern third party games.

3. Speaking of third parties reminds me of how awful their relationship with them are. They still have their old mentality from back in the day when they were king and saved the industry from crashing. Yamauchi who taught people in Nintendo like Iwata what they know openly said that third parties don't matter. Even developers came out and said that they knew little to nothing about the Wii U when it was being made and had little input, the opposite of what Sony and Microsoft did when developing their systems.

4. They're lost when it comes to HD development. This is probably one of the worst factors. This is the main reason why we had so many delays on the Wii U. They were a generation late when it came to HD development and are still struggling to this day.

5. They refuse to compete directly with their competitors. They say their competitors are doing the same thing and they're pushing creativity and doing their own thing when in reality I think they're just scared to step up to Sony and Microsoft since it's harsh competition. MS makes a robust online system, Sony steps up and create their own. Sony is pushing creative new IPs, MS does the same. I don't think Nintendo is ready that yet.

All in all I think they should ride out the Wii U completely until they fix these problems because if they don't and make all these mistakes with NX then they are pretty much permanently screwed on the console scene. Thoughts?

1. While their reasoning for not showing Devil's Third in any form is a mystery, they did have Fatal Frame at the Treehouse Live event. Also, the family audience still does exist. Look no further than the Super Mario games and the other franchises with Mario's name on it. Look at the sales for Mario Party 10. They were amazing, and I doubt most the people who are buying Mario Party 10 are a bunch of 30-something year olds who are going to be playing the game with other people their age. That game was probably sold to people in their 30's who got the game for their kids.

2. Nintendo started using less expensive hardware because competing in an arms race got them absolutely nowhere. They also need to make money on their hardware. Thie major problem right now are the third parties. They either need to make hardware that'll be powerful enough to appease the third parties or completely switch to the x86 architecture which even if it's an underpowered system, it would still be easier and less expensive for third parties to port their games to.

3. Nintendo is secretive by nature. That's who they are and that's how they've always been. My hope is that they can find out what third parties need but without having to show them everything. Even though it's a disadvantage sometimes, being secretive has also been one of Nintendo's greatest strengths. 

4. They've probably got the hang of HD development by now. It was in the early days when they had trouble with that. When you look at their Wii U games, they look great. So I think HD development will be less of an issue for them in the future.

5. Going back to the GameCube, they tried to compete directly with the competition and it did nothing for them. The problem is there's no room in the console for three consoles that are alike. At least one of them has to branch out and do something different. Sometimes it works like it did with the Wii and sometimes id doesn't work like it did with Wii U.

The big problem with determining wether Nintendo is ready or not with the 9th generation is that we don't know what they're up. We don't know what NX is. We just don't know anything yet.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

what if NX is a stream box like the Nvidia Shield and can do 4k and has all the old games and new games ready to go?

Jon-Erich said:
Mystro-Sama said:

Let's be honest, they aren't. Reasons:

1. They have absolutely no idea who they're catering to. They are beginning to dip their toes in 'mature waters' but still are obessed with the family audience that doesn't exist anymore. Proof of this is in their E3 this year where they intentionally left out games like Fatal Frame and Devil Third because it wouldn't fit with their kiddy puppet show leaving older Nintendo fans hanging.

2. They're cheap when it comes to hardware. Their main excuse for this is they use every ounce of power in their systems, which is true but really doesn't mean much if your system can't handle modern third party games.

3. Speaking of third parties reminds me of how awful their relationship with them are. They still have their old mentality from back in the day when they were king and saved the industry from crashing. Yamauchi who taught people in Nintendo like Iwata what they know openly said that third parties don't matter. Even developers came out and said that they knew little to nothing about the Wii U when it was being made and had little input, the opposite of what Sony and Microsoft did when developing their systems.

4. They're lost when it comes to HD development. This is probably one of the worst factors. This is the main reason why we had so many delays on the Wii U. They were a generation late when it came to HD development and are still struggling to this day.

5. They refuse to compete directly with their competitors. They say their competitors are doing the same thing and they're pushing creativity and doing their own thing when in reality I think they're just scared to step up to Sony and Microsoft since it's harsh competition. MS makes a robust online system, Sony steps up and create their own. Sony is pushing creative new IPs, MS does the same. I don't think Nintendo is ready that yet.

All in all I think they should ride out the Wii U completely until they fix these problems because if they don't and make all these mistakes with NX then they are pretty much permanently screwed on the console scene. Thoughts?

1. While their reasoning for not showing Devil's Third in any form is a mystery, they did have Fatal Frame at the Treehouse Live event. Also, the family audience still does exist. Look no further than the Super Mario games and the other franchises with Mario's name on it. Look at the sales for Mario Party 10. They were amazing, and I doubt most the people who are buying Mario Party 10 are a bunch of 30-something year olds who are going to be playing the game with other people their age. That game was probably sold to people in their 30's who got the game for their kids.

2. Nintendo started using less expensive hardware because competing in an arms race got them absolutely nowhere. They also need to make money on their hardware. Thie major problem right now are the third parties. They either need to make hardware that'll be powerful enough to appease the third parties or completely switch to the x86 architecture which even if it's an underpowered system, it would still be easier and less expensive for third parties to port their games to.

3. Nintendo is secretive by nature. That's who they are and that's how they've always been. My hope is that they can find out what third parties need but without having to show them everything. Even though it's a disadvantage sometimes, being secretive has also been one of Nintendo's greatest strengths. 

4. They've probably got the hang of HD development by now. It was in the early days when they had trouble with that. When you look at their Wii U games, they look great. So I think HD development will be less of an issue for them in the future.

5. Going back to the GameCube, they tried to compete directly with the competition and it did nothing for them. The problem is there's no room in the console for three consoles that are alike. At least one of them has to branch out and do something different. Sometimes it works like it did with the Wii and sometimes id doesn't work like it did with Wii U.

The big problem with determining wether Nintendo is ready or not with the 9th generation is that we don't know what they're up. We don't know what NX is. We just don't know anything yet.

that's not completely true. they tried to market the wii to as many people as possible and that meant keeping it SD. Wii U is less powerful because the gamepad made it expensive. 

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:

Did you even read my post? lol

Uh, yeah. I'm not going to cover all of your points, I answered the generalized statements from your title and your closing points.

zippy said:
Yet they still make the best games, go figure.

that is not enough

RolStoppable said:
Mystro-Sama said:

Their plans are nice and ambitious and all but i'm not sure they realise how risky it is. If their next gen hardware does indeed blend handheld with console and it fails then they'll be in some pretty deep shit. What has been keeping them profitable for the most part during this gen with the Wii U slacking is the 3ds. They can make cheap games for it and make high profits and reinvest that into the Wii U. If their combined system tanks then where are they going to get money from exactly? And they haven't mentioned how powerful it is. For all we know it can't manage third party games which is vital to any console's survival.

They won't make a combined system. There will still be a home console and a handheld.

If you think that third party multiplatform games are vital for Nintendo, then you should look for evidence that shows that such games move Nintendo hardware. But if there's no such evidence, then it wouldn't matter how powerful Nintendo's hardware will be. Remember, Nintendo handhelds have never had such a thing as substantial multiplatform support, but they survived regardless.

Third party games are vital for any system. Nintendo relies on them much less compared to Sony/MS, but without third party support, the NX will fail (unless it has some gimmick like the Wii). 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

You're assuming the "next-gen" NX will be a PS4-level tech.

It probably will not be.

I'm guessing a unified platform, with the handheld being far and away the main platform, and that will be about Wii U level in power.

The home variant (or home dock) maybe will bump that up so that the same games can run on TV at 1080P resolution with maybe a few extra effects.

So from that POV, I don't see it being much of an adjustment for Nintendo, much like going from GameCube to Wii was not exactly a technical jump for Nintendo.

Turkish said:
I just wanna play my games with a normal controller like we've been doing for the last 30 years. Nintendo stop reinventing the wheel!

The D-pad wasn't normal until the great Gunpei Yokoi invented the damn thing!

May he rest in peace. I suggest you kneel down in honor of him. ;)