By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo isn't ready for next gen.

Mystro-Sama said:
freebs2 said:

I agree with points 1 and 4, for the rest absolutely not.

Nintendo should be clear about what target are catering to, and be true to that decision, during this generation it looked like they had a dual identity disorder.
Also, they must become more efficient at HD development, they cannot afford to delay every game, every time.

What's wrong with 2, 3 and 5? lol

About point 2 and 3, I made a thread about it some time ago, if you have care about

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=203557&page=1

Anyway, more specifically about point 3, nintendo should try to get more 3rd party support, but they shouldn't aim to have the same 3rd party games Xbox One and Ps4 have, they should aim for games target at different demographics and they should create a viable market for 3rd parties to create different experiences that are not well suited to be Ps4/Xbox one game (they did it succesfully on Nintendo DS and 3DS: games like Professor Layton, Castlevania, Dragon Quest, Bravely Default, Monster Hunter, etc.). Why they should do this, rather than trying to gather Ps4 multiplat games? Because there are alredy 3 viable platform to play those games (Ps4, PC, Xbox One), the market doesn't want or need a 4th, in fact, if you look at it closely even 3 platforms are too much, in fact even the Xbox One is having some struggles.

Point 5 is also a quite similar story. There's no point in trying to compete directly in a oligopoly usless the market is growing significantly, and the home console market is not, it's a quite mature market. In other words, there's no point in trying to convince Sony users you are the best choice, do to so you'll need spend an awful lot of resources and you don't have a good chance of success unless your copetitor screws up (in fact, even the X360 wouldn't have been as much popular if Sony didn't screw up with their 599$ choice, and their advantange in the end only lasted a few years). In a matuer market the best thing to do is to innovate the business formula (Steam, free to play games) or try to expand the market in new directions, or use a niche strategy and be the best in the market to do a certain thing. Now, every strategy has pros and cons, but in a mature business, all those 3 options are better than going all guns blazing on someone who is more competitive than you.

I'll add another example. If you think it's just enough to offer a better product to beat a well enstablished competitor, think about Coke and Pepsi. If you can offer a Cola with the same flavour, the same price and an appealing look you should be in theory be able to compete on par with Coke and Pepsi, but reality is not like that. Even if you manage to have a product as good as Coke, costumers will continue to buy Coke and Pepsi because those products are great and they have no reason to try something else. If you want to be successfull in the soft drink business you have to offer something different in both look and taste (like Mountan Dew).

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Mystro-Sama said:

That's my point exactly. lol. You've been conditioned to think that since it's been generations that a Nintendo console had healthy third party support. So you mean to tell me if Nintendo released a console on par with the PS4 and X1 powerwise that had all the games that the other console had it wouldn't move systems? Of course it would.

Yes, that's what would happen.

People wouldn't buy Nintendo in droves to play GTA.
People wouldn't buy Nintendo in droves to play Batman.
People wouldn't buy Nintendo in droves to play CoD.

You get the point. Why would people buy a different brand when they are satisfied with what they are used to? That's why Xbox has such a hard stand against PS in so many countries in the world. If your theory that having the same games leads to success held true, then Xbox shouldn't get steamrolled.

You are free to look up the top sellers for previous Nintendo consoles. We are on VGC, after all. You won't find many multiplats among the bestsellers, even on the consoles that had a lot of multiplats.

People won't buy Nintendo in droves to because it won't play GTA.
People won't buy Nintendo in droves to because it won't play Batman.
People won't buy Nintendo in droves to because it won't play CoD.

nintendo is the gaming version of the old flip phones.  there are soo many things it doesn't do that is now considered standard that as a consumer it's hard to even consider it viable piece of hardware.  most people wouldn't want it as the cost of free. 

a games machine that doesn't play games,..  is not a winning strategy.   i'll never change your mind but you are a fool to think otherwise. 

Nintendo has dominated the handheld market this generation and isn't doing record breakingly bad with the Wii U. maybe their weakest console ever, but there have been plenty of video game consoles in the past both sold LESS and had worse game libraries and quality

Nintendo will be fine. Nintendo will not release the NX until like 2017, they just want some positive press and for people to know that they are looking towards long term goals rather than floundering in short term ones. and they have the cash to have that attitude

all I know is that people love to point out how poorly Nintendo was doing in the Gamecube era, yet they managed to profit MORE than Sony in the period of time, despite the PS2 being the best selling console of all time.

Nintendo financially probably isn't doing that amazing, but fortunately years of success have put them in a good position to be able to take risks like they did with the Wii U. 

who defines 'ready' for a generation anyway? no way does the NX come out in 2016, so actually it will be about appropriately timed their next release. make no mistake, the console NX will have pretty good graphics, Nintendo will not repeat that mistake. the only reason the Wii U failed graphically is because Nintendo took a relatively lazy approach where they used similar infracstructure/specs doubled in comparison to the Wii and focused on the controller more than the system itself

I will point out that you could argue that Nintendo wasn't 'ready' for the next generation after relatively failing to get a good market share with the Gamcube, and then releasing a low spec system compared to its competitors (the Wii) but look how that turned out

these things are quite hard to predict because consumers, especially casual gamers, are insanely hard to predict, and when you have a very popular brand like Nintendo its easy to get consumers on board but also easy to lose them as they have such strong nostalgia and expectations 

100% agree

Sony did it right with the ps3 -> ps4.

You cant just switch to a new console if the old one failed (sega style). The customers wont thrust you anymore.
Nintendo NEED to solve wii u problems before they release a new console. Bring third party support back on the system (they promised it). At least the big games like assassins creed, cod, fifa, need for speed, gta and co NEED to be on the system. Bring your own big brand to the system (fzero, Metroid Prime).
Even if they would loose money with the wii u now,the sucsessor would benefit from the good wii us reputation.

Its almost impossible to make sucsess with a console if the previous console failed.
Yeah wii told me wrong, but wii wasnt bought mainly by "real" gamer. The NX will 100% fail by "real" gamers, so the only 2 possibilities is the nx fails like the wii u or it will be a casual machine again (probl. no metroid and co but games like wii sports, just dance and co).
No matter which way, nx will be a failure for us ("real" gamers)

RolStoppable said:
kitler53 said:

People won't buy Nintendo in droves to because it won't play GTA.
People won't buy Nintendo in droves to because it won't play Batman.
People won't buy Nintendo in droves to because it won't play CoD.

nintendo is the gaming version of the old flip phones.  there are soo many things it doesn't do that is now considered standard that as a consumer it's hard to even consider it viable piece of hardware.  most people wouldn't want it as the cost of free. 

a games machine that doesn't play games,..  is not a winning strategy.   i'll never change your mind but you are a fool to think otherwise. 

It's you again! It seems to really bother you that Nintendo isn't done for.

This time you came with a strawman argument. And your conclusion... oh my. You are seriously insinuating that Nintendo games don't count as games.

and you counter yet again with a deflection argument.  sometimes i wonder why i even try talking to you.

Around the Network

I have said it before and I will say it again. Nintendo is done in the console space and they will learn it the hard way with NX.

MoHasanie said:
zorg1000 said:

Having a powerful console really doesn't benefit Nintendo since barely any of their games require powerful specs to look great and the fact that there has never in the history of Nintendo hardware been a AAA western multiplat system seller, it's safe to say they have no bearing on the success/failure of Nintendo hardware.

Nintendo does have an excellent software output, the problem is their resources are spread out by 2 separate platforms. Here is Nintendo-published software output for this year in America.

Nintendo is averaging 2-3 published titles per month and that holds true for 2013/2014 as well. When u add in Japanese support for the handheld, child/family friendly support that both sides get along with indie support and Virtual Console release then ur looking at 100+ titles per year. Nintendo also doesn't need a new controller gimmick, they need a simple to understand controller that can be used by pretty much anyone, like the Wii Remote, something they backtracked on with Wii U which returned to the dual analog, 8 face button, 4 shoulder design that is only understood by longtime gamers.

None of their games currently require poweful specs but in the future they might. And graphics are always improving and its quite important to gaming. Nintendo being the world's largest video game company should also change with the times. Plus Nintendo should still have hope for third party support and certainly keep third party games in mind when designing the NX. 

And although you're right that Nintendo makes quite a lot of games, making games for 2 platforms will continue to be a problem unless Nintendo makes one machine which is both a handheld and console  (to me this is unlikely since Nintendo's handhelds still sell well). Perhaps if both the console and handheld were struggling then Nintendo would make one machine, but right now, I don't think stubborn Nintendo will do that. 

Yes in the future they may, so when that time comes they will release more powerful hardware, but right here right now Nintendo has no need for vastly more powerful hardware.

If u have listened to anything Iwata & Miyamoto have said recently than u would have an idea of what their upcoming strategy is. Iwata has stated how they want their handheld & console to be more like "brothers" similar to Apple and their iOS devices while also adequately "absorbing" the Wii U architecture in order to have a seamless transition like they with Gamecube & Wii. Miyamoto also made a sly hint recently about games being playable on either device so it's pretty clear Nintendo is going to have a "family of devices" with a unified software library.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

mountaindewslave said:

all I know is that people love to point out how poorly Nintendo was doing in the Gamecube era, yet they managed to profit MORE than Sony in the period of time, despite the PS2 being the best selling console of all time.

Nintendo made those profits from Gameboy not Gamecube.

I want to hear more details about the NX before I agree or disagree with this. But you make good points, those were the 5 mistakes they made with the Wii U (well they made more than 5)

But just because they made those mistakes with the Wii U that doesn't mean they will make them with the NX. If you look at video game history then you will see that companies have gone from last place to first place really quickly.

For whatever reason, I still don't feel Nintendo will be able to sell 3rd parties on the NX and market the thing well.

cuberandgamer said:
I want to hear more details about the NX before I agree or disagree with this. But you make good points, those were the 5 mistakes they made with the Wii U (well they made more than 5)

But just because they made those mistakes with the Wii U that doesn't mean they will make them with the NX. If you look at video game history then you will see that companies have gone from last place to first place really quickly.

For whatever reason, I still don't feel Nintendo will be able to sell 3rd parties on the NX and market the thing well.

Who knows, the average company would have learned their lesson. Nintendo on the other hand is probably the most stubborn in the industry. They just might make all these mistakes again.