By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo isn't ready for next gen.

Samus Aran said:
Aerys said:

NX is going to flop ... And should flop if they are killing the WiiU after only 3 years on the market, thé common sensé would be to not buy it day one and wait for 3 years to see if they dont kill it, its about trust

So are you going to stop supporting Sony because of what they did to the Vita?

A new Sony handheld is very unlikely a new Nintendo console is not, hè did  not say he is not going to buy the next ds

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
sabastian said:

Nothing that has come out of the Nintendo consoles in the past few years has excited me to the point of even considering purchasing their console.

Nintendo needs to take a page from Sony. INVEST IN NEW AND EXCITING IP's.

That is exactly the way I feel when it comes to Nintendo.  Out of the big 3 Sony is in the worst shape financially and yet they own 15 gaming studios constantly creating new content for their system and Nintendo who is in financially awesome shape throws a little money out here and there and gets a couple new IP's put on their system. I mean their third party support is pretty much nonexistent you would figure that they would start spending money on their own devs to create new IP's and put out something different and new for the system.

It's fairly simple. SOME gamers want the Nintendo exclusives. MOST gamers want the big blockbuster third party titles. Nintendo only needs to figure out if they want SOME gamers or MOST gamers and plan their actions accordingly.
The point is, they are relying too heavily on their own titles. Those titles are not to everyone's liking, no matter how good the quality. That will only get them a certain dedicated crowd, which will be dwindling away more and more each generation. You need a good combo of first and third in order to make it big. The stars need to be somewhat aligned as well, but that goes for everyone.

Mystro-Sama said:

Let's be honest, they aren't. Reasons:

1. They have absolutely no idea who they're catering to. They are beginning to dip their toes in 'mature waters' but still are obessed with the family audience that doesn't exist anymore. Proof of this is in their E3 this year where they intentionally left out games like Fatal Frame and Devil Third because it wouldn't fit with their kiddy puppet show leaving older Nintendo fans hanging.

2. They're cheap when it comes to hardware. Their main excuse for this is they use every ounce of power in their systems, which is true but really doesn't mean much if your system can't handle modern third party games.

3. Speaking of third parties reminds me of how awful their relationship with them are. They still have their old mentality from back in the day when they were king and saved the industry from crashing. Yamauchi who taught people in Nintendo like Iwata what they know openly said that third parties don't matter. Even developers came out and said that they knew little to nothing about the Wii U when it was being made and had little input, the opposite of what Sony and Microsoft did when developing their systems.

4. They're lost when it comes to HD development. This is probably one of the worst factors. This is the main reason why we had so many delays on the Wii U. They were a generation late when it came to HD development and are still struggling to this day.

5. They refuse to compete directly with their competitors. They say their competitors are doing the same thing and they're pushing creativity and doing their own thing when in reality I think they're just scared to step up to Sony and Microsoft since it's harsh competition. MS makes a robust online system, Sony steps up and create their own. Sony is pushing creative new IPs, MS does the same. I don't think Nintendo is ready that yet.

All in all I think they should ride out the Wii U completely until they fix these problems because if they don't and make all these mistakes with NX then they are pretty much permanently screwed on the console scene. Thoughts?

1. They catering to everyone, from 5 to 99 years. You cant judd about this with one bad E3, last E3 was great and had games like Xenoblade X, Bayonetta 2, Devil's Third.

2. Yes, they want hardware that is affordable for everyone but that doesn't mean that next home console want handle modern third party games or that Nintendo isnt ready for Next Gen.

3. Not true, they dont have old NES mentality. They made a big change from launch Wii U till day, you have Indie developers interviews on internet how relationship they have with Nintendo today and how was before. So they change their approach and they are continuing to changing.

4. Again not true, they were lost in 2012. and 2013. in HD devolpment, today it standard for them, just look all that beautiful Nintendo Wii U HD games.

5. Refusing to compete directly with their competitors is bad thing and reason why Nintendo isn't ready for Next Gen!? Really!? Last thing I want on market is another PS4/Xbox One clone.

If you look what they are doing and saying last two year, you can see that they changing lot of stufs. But I think they need more time for next home console, 2016. is too early, 2017. seems to me reasonable.

Burek said:
zorg1000 said:

Did SNES get less 3rd party support than NES? I don't think it did, yet it sold worse.

Gamecube had better 3rd party support than N64 yet it sold worse.

I think ur theory is debunked.

You cannot really compare today's gaming environment with 15-20 year old consoles.

Today's consoles are ruled by 3rd party publishers, exclusives are just a small bonus. EA, Activision, Ubisoft and Take2 control the market, and failing to ensure their games on any system is a sure-fire way to irrelevance.

No, those mainstream 3rd party games primarily appeal to one demographic, teen/adult males, their are many other demographics out like kids, women, parents, non-gamers. DS/Wii did an excellent job at winning these crowds over but 3DS/Wii U have not, we can sit here and pretend it's impossible to win these people over again because of smart devices but that's pretty short-sighted.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Aerys said:

NX is going to flop ... And should flop if they are killing the WiiU after only 3 years on the market, thé common sensé would be to not buy it day one and wait for 3 years to see if they dont kill it, its about trust

Wii U will have 3 years this holiday, and NX isn't coming this holiday. So how exactly they are killing Wii U after only 3 years on market!?

Qwark said:
Burek said:
zorg1000 said:

Did SNES get less 3rd party support than NES? I don't think it did, yet it sold worse.

Gamecube had better 3rd party support than N64 yet it sold worse.

I think ur theory is debunked.

You cannot really compare today's gaming environment with 15-20 year old consoles.

Today's consoles are ruled by 3rd party publishers, exclusives are just a small bonus. EA, Activision, Ubisoft and Take2 control the market, and failing to ensure their games on any system is a sure-fire way to irrelevance.

PS1 had more third party support and smashed the N64. The PS2 litteraly murdered the GameCube, the wii was a one time phenomen but it's audience moved away. The Wii U had to many draughts due to the lack of third party and HD development, So unless you don't want less total draughts for months third party is viral for Nintendo.

Why did the Wii audience move away? Could it possibly be because Nintendo essentially stopped supporting Wii after 2011 and they made a plethora of mistakes with Wii U?

Its painfully clear by now that Nintendo is unifying their handheld & consoles by making a "family of devices" that share an operating system, architecture, online infrastructure, account system and software library similar to what Apple has with iOS devices. Nintendo has stated how they plan to adequately "absorb" the Wii U architecture for future devices in order to have a seamless transition like they had when they went from GameCube to Wii.

That's how Nintendo gets rid of droughts, offering all their software output to a single unified platform that is available in multiple form factors. Nintendo has a very high software output, the problem is that it's spread out between multiple devices with little to no similarities. Then once u consider the kid/family friendly software Nintendo still receives from 3rd parties, the Japanese support their handhelds receive and the strong indie support Nintendo gets and u have a device that never has a slowdown of software support.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Burek said:

No, those mainstream 3rd party games primarily appeal to one demographic, teen/adult males, their are many other demographics out like kids, women, parents, non-gamers. DS/Wii did an excellent job at winning these crowds over but 3DS/Wii U have not, we can sit here and pretend it's impossible to win these people over again because of smart devices but that's pretty short-sighted.

No, those people are never coming back to consoles, it's done. Women, parents, grandparents will never buy another Nintendo console, or any other.

Can you imagine either PS4 or Xone sales if only one of those four developers wer missing...I assure you they would take a steep nosedive. And here you have a system where all four are missing - no wonder it cannot sell outside the hardcore followers even at a fraction of XOne/PS4 price. And without 3rd party onboard for NX, they won't be able to give it away...

WHy cant you people stop focusing so much on the future and let nintendo do that, and when it comes to the point , then you can specualate, all this speculation isnt gonna lead anywhere. Maybe they are doing something entirely different we dont know, they have stuck around for the longest, i think they can stick around a bit longer. Can we just play the amazing games that come out now, and when time comes and they announce things then we can complain.

97alexk said:

WHy cant you people stop focusing so much on the future and let nintendo do that, and when it comes to the point , then you can specualate, all this speculation isnt gonna lead anywhere. Maybe they are doing something entirely different we dont know, they have stuck around for the longest, i think they can stick around a bit longer. Can we just play the amazing games that come out now, and when time comes and they announce things then we can complain.

They can't because it's a gentle stroke to the ego. Knowing that by spitting random predictions one day yours could be the one that was right (even if you had no idea of what you said) is nice. It's a part of being in this forum.

So quietly shut your trap and let me stroke my ego a bit now.

OT: I predict that the NX is absolutely ready for next gen and it will blow everyone away.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"