By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Super Mario Maker will be the WiiU's biggest game yet (in sales)

fleischr said:
daredevil.shark said:
Essentially its a user friendly "modding tool" sold at $60.

Myth. The game is shipping with a ton of levels already packed in.

There will be an immediate flood of user-generated content available very shortly after this releases.

If you wanted to never make a level, and just play ones others have made, you can do that.

Lol. This is the kind of attitude that is the downfall of Nintendo this gen. Have fun with Mario maker.

Around the Network

Will sell good (around 3M), but won't be the best selling game on Wii U.

fleischr said:
V-r0cK said:
I'm a huge sucker for 2D Mario and will definitely be getting this.

Is there a campaign for this game as well or is this just a game kit?

The demo at Best Buy had at least 40 levels already packaged in the game.

Based on my hands-on time with the game: The levels they put in made the levels of the original Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, and NSMB all look ... bland.

So yes, it's more than a level editor.

Awesome thanks for the info! =)

there are wayyyy too many holes in your support reasons for Mario Maker to sell so well-

If Mario Maker is 1/2 as succeful as you say- then It wold be bad news for future Nintenod owners as they will release a "Maker" game for dozens of Mario/related iterations and little else (with accompanying Amiibo)

RolStoppable said:
fleischr said:

But it's actually more than that. It's going to ship with a ton of awesome levels that are already made. The demo @ Best Buy had over 40 levels. New levels will constantly be made all the time.

No one ever buys a 2D Mario simply for the 'adventure' -- because the adventure is pretty much the same (beat a couple koopalings, save the princess). They buy new 2D Mario games for more levels and more powerups. Super Mario Maker delivers that in spades.

If your assertion were true, then NSMB 2 and U would have sold much better and in turn the systems they were on would have also sold better. Plus the adventure being pretty much the same didn't hold true in the past. SMB introduced the Mushroom Kingdom, SMB2 (the version for the West) had Subcon with entirely different enemies and was released instead of the actual SMB2 which was disappointing, SMB3 was a return to the Mushroom Kingdom but expanded it with several more kingdoms, SMW took place in Dinosaur Land. NSMB 1 and Wii were throwback games because it had been so long since the release of SMW, and the Wii game offered simultaneous multiplayer; being throwback games is why Nintendo could get away with not introducing new worlds. But with NSMB 2 and U, everyone can see that more levels and more power-ups isn't enough to create excitement for a new game.

Personally, I see no good reason to buy Super Mario Maker, so I won't. Level editors are boring and user-generated content is rarely good.

While I agree with your assessment of the 2D Super Mario series, I don't agree taht SMM won't have great user developed levels and generate a lot of interest.  It's not necessarily my cup of tea, but I know of many people who will spend hours and hours with this game.

Around the Network
Dunban67 said:
there are wayyyy too many holes in your support reasons for Mario Maker to sell so well-

If Mario Maker is 1/2 as succeful as you say- then It wold be bad news for future Nintenod owners as they will release a "Maker" game for dozens of Mario/related iterations and little else (with accompanying Amiibo)

There's holes in your reasoning, not in mine.

If the maker franchise took off, wouldn't that mean people enjoyed it?

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

RolStoppable said:
fleischr said:

But it's actually more than that. It's going to ship with a ton of awesome levels that are already made. The demo @ Best Buy had over 40 levels. New levels will constantly be made all the time.

No one ever buys a 2D Mario simply for the 'adventure' -- because the adventure is pretty much the same (beat a couple koopalings, save the princess). They buy new 2D Mario games for more levels and more powerups. Super Mario Maker delivers that in spades.

If your assertion were true, then NSMB 2 and U would have sold much better and in turn the systems they were on would have also sold better. Plus the adventure being pretty much the same didn't hold true in the past. SMB introduced the Mushroom Kingdom, SMB2 (the version for the West) had Subcon with entirely different enemies and was released instead of the actual SMB2 which was disappointing, SMB3 was a return to the Mushroom Kingdom but expanded it with several more kingdoms, SMW took place in Dinosaur Land. NSMB 1 and Wii were throwback games because it had been so long since the release of SMW, and the Wii game offered simultaneous multiplayer; being throwback games is why Nintendo could get away with not introducing new worlds. But with NSMB 2 and U, everyone can see that more levels and more power-ups isn't enough to create excitement for a new game.

Personally, I see no good reason to buy Super Mario Maker, so I won't. Level editors are boring and user-generated content is rarely good.

While your account of the 2D Mario canon is pretty good -- the fact still is that people don't care about the story. They care about the fun, weird things they can do as Mario.

NSMB2 and U fell short of their sales potential because they come across... well... bland. Undifferentiated from their Wii and DS predecessors.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

I doubt it even gets close.

MohammadBadir said:
Highly doubt that.

^ this.

No chance, people want to play games not make em.