By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How exactly is Nintendo going to make the NX a success?

Games. Games games games.

It's obvious they're in the process of preparing/hoarding as many games as they can for the NX, hence the barren release schedule for both Wii U and 3DS.

The majority of the already sparse lineup consists of 2nd/3rd party titles, collaborations, and low-budget spinoffs (Starfox Zero, Devil's 3rd, Xenoblade, Skylanders, Mario & Luigi, that Fire Emblem crossover, Fatal Frame, Animal Crossing amiibo Festival, Metroid Prime FF etc.)... even their biggest future title, Zelda U, doesn't have a firm release window, meaning it most likely will be a dual NX/Wii U release (ala Twilight Princess).

This should tell you they're very actively working on a lot of games they aren't willing to show yet. All of Nintendo's big studios aren't just loitering around, sitting on their hands doing nothing you know. Obviously they aren't showing any games for the current gen, because they're devoting the vast majority of their resources to next gen.

I fully expect NX to get a ton of AAA 1st party releases during launch and relatively soon after that. Zelda U (in the form of an optimized, definitive NX version), a new 3D Mario, a full-on Animal Crossing, whatever Retro's working on and the next original Pokemon RPGs all seem like a given, along with whatever else they're definitely working on.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

By not doing anything that is written in this thread.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

All good things must end, Nintendo home consoles are at the end, the NX will fail. Time to move to mobile and handhelds, Nintendo has always concentrated on Japan more, mobile and handheld is massive there.

From a software point of view though, I don't know. I know what they need to do, but I don't think they made any moves hinting that they're planning on doing it. They need many things. They need way more AAA games first party games. They need a massive western branch. They need third party support. They need to make aggressive IP acquisitions.

I'm not going to beat a dead horse, but a Capcom acquisition would me huge. They have the some of the most iconic and valuable IP in the industry and they are in a position now where they are open to a buyout. On the other hand, they could buy a western studio with less iconic brands like what Square did, and bring them to relevancy again.

Regardless of my opinion on the stupid new Tomb Raider, square did a smart thing by reinventing it for this era. Same with Theif, Hitman, and Deus Ex. All of those are mainstream and relevant now thanks to Square's acquisition of Aidos, and they've done something that Nintendo has been in serious need of doing for decades now with ease. Nintendo needs to cater to the audience who buys those kinds of games.

The think, as I mentioned, is Nintendo's new lack of AAA quality games. And frankly, by that, I also mean the over abundance of budget titles like Tropical Freeze, Yarn Yoshi, Kirby, Pikmin, etc. When you lack the resources that Nintendo clearly is lacking right now, it's absolutely moronic to waste them on these kinds of games that, as good as they may be, are not block buster killer-apps that drive people to buy a new console. Those are the types of games you make after to have a decent sized dedicated audience, not before.

The NX need to have an abundance of big AAA first party games from the get go. The next Xenoblade can't come after three years of the console being out if there are no AAA single player first party games on the system until then. That just can't happen when you're the underdog like the NX will be. It needs to launch with something big, and it probably will with Zelda NX. It can't stop there, though. It needs to be peppered with games people of all demographics will want to play.

Metroid Prime 4, 3D Donkey Kong Planet, 3D Mario, Nintendo vs. Capcom, Mario Kart NX, Smash Bros. NX, Diddy Kong Racing Returns, Bayonetta 3, a Star Fox game that doesn't look like it was put together in a year, etc. Games that look expensive, sound expensive, and feel expensive. That's that people are buying consoles for. That may not be all, but for most people that's what gets their initial purchase.

And on top of that, like I said, it needs that huge western tentpole. It needs answers to games like Halo, and Uncharted, and The Last of Us, and Bioshock, and GTA and they can't just be old Nintendo IP with a new western spin like Prime was. They need thinks they don't have.

If you don't like it, you don't have to buy those games, but frankly, you're not the audience Nintendo needs right now. They need the guys who buy COD and Madden every year. They need the people who bought Deus Ex, and Hitman, and Theif, and Tomb Raider. That's their blue ocean right now.

Disney did a great thing by buying Marvel and Star Wars. Nintendo needs the same kinds of things in the video game world. To me, Capcom is their Marvel. I don't know what their Star Wars would be, and we'll probably never know judging by how things are going, but they need to be making those moves yesterday.

Moyu said:

What can they do to make it happen?

NX Sports.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Just one thing on this portion of your post. Addressing existing demand and competing for the same audience is not a blue ocean move. It's the exact opposite.

I didn't mean it literally. I just was making a quip at Nintendo's new "blue ocean" philosophy and the fact that, for Nintendo, going after the mainstream red ocean is Nintendo's "untapped market."

I wasn't literally saying that the mainstream audience was a blue ocean.

trophy support would be nice!

Just be to be clear: CAPCOM is NOT open to a buyout.

they need something similar to the wii or merge handhelds and home conoles (wont have any handhelds sales then so wouldnt be a real scusess).

It doesnt matter which games they will get. wiiu got amazing games 2014 (better as ps4/xbox one to be honest) but still sold alot worse.

Nintendo can learn a lot from the GC to Wii transition. At the time, Wii offered:

-A fresh, high-tech, trendy, mature looking-product. It was modeled after the new i-Device look and it was a stark contrast to GCN.
-2 mature looking, modern, graphically advanced takes on classic franchises in SMG and Zelda:TP.
-A brand new IP that everyone loved in Wii Sports.
-An exciting new way to experience gaming in the Wii Remote.
-For the first time, access to endless back-catalog titles through Virtual Console.
-The lack of HD visuals weren't an issue at launch, since most homes didn't have HDTV and the HD systems were costly.

Now, while appreciating the past success, it is important to also make note of what has changed:
-Respectably powerful machines are now relatively less expensive.
-The industry has largely consolidated in terms of hardware format.
-Online subscriptions have become standard practice.
-Physical media is shrinking in importance, but digital content is more important than ever.
-Mobile devices are extremely popular, especially with young people and casual-gaming adults.

So, for NX to be a success, Nintendo should:
-Develop a new, fresh styling and image, a beautiful new system and branding that looks high-tech.
-Build a powerful system, exploiting the recent advances in tech that occurred since the launch of One and 4. A next-gen GPU, perhaps with 8 or more gigs of HBM. Discs can be ditched in favor of cart/flash media, with a large hard drive taking the space in the system. Without excessive cost Nintendo could offer a product greatly superior to anything on the market by 2017 or 2018 at the latest.
-Create an awesome online service. An annual subscription gives you access to multiplayer, but also included access to the full 8- to 64-bit catelog, and periodic discounts to GCN and Wii titles.
-Expand eShop to include movie purchases and rentals, perhaps partnering with an established video provider.
-Exploit the new Mobile venture to create the latest Candy Crush like craze. Then create a premium version of the mobile titles for NX that links with the moblie version, making the NX seem like a premium must-have product to the casual audience, since it plays the better version of the game they love on their mobile device.
-Design at least 2 must-have mature-friendly titles for launch. One could be Super Mario Universe, which should include an awesome online competitive multiplayer mode where you battle people from around the globe using Mario characters and powerups.
-Other launch titles could include games such as MP:4, a delayed and ported Zelda U or perhaps an JRPG from Mistwalker.
-A third must-have launch title must be included and must be something not typically associated with Nintendo. A AAA third party exclusive or timed exclusive is ideal here. It's a drastic and costly step, but something Nintendo must do. They must blow some cash. Either buy a third party publisher (such as Take-2) outright and bring their major titles (like GTA6) exclusive, or pay some millions and have GTA6 a timed exclusive title for say the 2017 Christmas season before it can be ported to 8th gen in the spring. This would grab the attention of the hardcore fans and force/encourage them to try out the NX if they want to feel their playing the latest big thing.
-Fund/buy/create a few smaller western studios now to have some fresh western content post-launch. Think studios like Gunfire Games. They should have a couple exclusive games ready for year one, and a few more for year 2.
-Ditch the second screen controller, but offer it as an option and allow for pairing with other mobile devices. The new NX controller should offer Wii-Mote like sensing and pointing built-in.

Marketing: It's not very important at all. People talk about it all the time in sighting reasons why Wii U bombed, but they forget that their were long lines at e3 2006 long before a Wii ad was ever shown. The key is to make an exciting, fresh product that the market wants. The marketing will then take care of itself.