By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How exactly is Nintendo going to make the NX a success?

We will just have to wait and see what they do then :/

But by going off from knowing nothing about this hardware, I'd say they should market it really well

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

I don't think NX is really a "console" in the traditional sense though.

IMO it's either a portable full stop, that can hook up to a "home dock" for TV play

Or it's a primarily a portable driven line of products, that also has console companion (ie: the Sony Vita and the Vita TV).

But shared library either way. 

Because if NX is just a strict home console, then where the hell is the 3DS successor? That should be a much higher priority for Nintendo.

Soundwave said:

IMO it's either a portable full stop, that can hook up to a "home dock" for TV play

Or it's a primarily a portable driven line of products, that also has console companion (ie: the Sony Vita and the Vita TV).

Because if NX is just a strict home console, then where the hell is the 3DS successor? That should be a much higher priority for Nintendo.

Good question, and the answer is mobile. 

TheLastStarFighter said:
Soundwave said:

There's no way they're going to stop making dedicated handhelds now unless they have gone insane. 

TheLastStarFighter said:

-Create an awesome online service. An annual subscription gives you access to multiplayer, but also included access to the full 8- to 64-bit catelog, and periodic discounts to GCN and Wii titles.

Why on Earth would you want multiplayer under a paywall? Wouldn't make more sense keeping the multiplayer free, as something that people that loves multiplayer but hates the subscription fees could rely on and get them on Nintendo systems? Imagine all the people that like CoD on consoles, but now they have to pay two times (the game and the online fees), hear about this Nintendo system that will get their shooters and don't need to pay for online multiplayer. Not only you get them, they'll try to convince their friends so they can play with them.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

-Create an awesome online service. An annual subscription gives you access to multiplayer, but also included access to the full 8- to 64-bit catelog, and periodic discounts to GCN and Wii titles.

Why on Earth would you want multiplayer under a paywall? Wouldn't make more sense keeping the multiplayer free, as something that people that loves multiplayer but hates the subscription fees could rely on and get them on Nintendo systems? Imagine all the people that like CoD on consoles, but now they have to pay two times (the game and the online fees), hear about this Nintendo system that will get their shooters and don't need to pay for online multiplayer. Not only you get them, they'll try to convince their friends so they can play with them.

Nope, it wouldn't make more sense.  We already saw it, to some extent, with Wii U.  Free multiplayer, but no one wanted to play COD on the system because it was an inferior experience on an inferior system.  2 COD's came and went and no one was telling their friends to try it.  Except maybe me, lol.

I hate paid multiplayer, but there's no denying it's become accepted.  And since it is accepted, the extra revenue has allowed MS and Sony to offere superior console experiences at a reasonable entry price.  With the extra revenue stream from a new Nintendo Network, Nintendo could sell a system at $399 even at a slight loss but recoup the cost and turn a profit through subsriptions.  $400 in 2017 could probably get you a pretty fabulous piece of hardware.  An amazing piece of hardware is far more likely to lure in new buyers than free online.

Further, while I once hated paid online, after subscribing to Gold with my new One at Christmas, I've practically filled my hard drive with content at super cheap prices.  Games like Fifa, Titanfall and others selling for half price or sometiems like $8 for fairly new, AAA content.  And lots of indie games for free.

If Nintendo offered full access to old games and discounts on the newish stuff it could actually be a cool experience.  I can imagine sitting down with my NX, clicking a Mario icon through a slick new interface and deciding to play SMB3 or M64 or any other classic title I'm in the mood for.

Soundwave said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

There's no way they're going to stop making dedicated handhelds now unless they have gone insane. 

Haha, maybe they have!

Nah, but I do think they are delaying a new handheld and looking at other options.  I originally thought a 3DS successor would be coming soon, but I think they are staying that off by introducing N3DS.  They are also going to introduce many of their traditionally handheld titles to other mobile devices through their new Nintendo Accounts.  Then, after NX releases, I can see a mobile version of NX releasing in time offering both NX and Mobile titles.  I could also see a Nintendo-branded android tablet on the way with physical controls.

they need to go in as if they are alone this time and not depend on turd parties. That means have a ton of games planned out to keep the momentum going. Keep us updated regularly so that Nintendo news is always being talked about.

now they can't realistically go at it alone unless they have another Wii situation so they need to fund some outside games that will help fill in the gaps.

give the kids what they want which is achievements, leader boards and voice chat in everything even games that don't have online!

it needs to be able to make toast as well as play blue ray

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

TheLastStarFighter said:
Darwinianevolution said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

Nope, it wouldn't make more sense.  We already saw it, to some extent, with Wii U.  Free multiplayer, but no one wanted to play COD on the system because it was an inferior experience on an inferior system.  2 COD's came and went and no one was telling their friends to try it.  Except maybe me, lol.

I hate paid multiplayer, but there's no denying it's become accepted.  And since it is accepted, the extra revenue has allowed MS and Sony to offere superior console experiences at a reasonable entry price.  With the extra revenue stream from a new Nintendo Network, Nintendo could sell a system at $399 even at a slight loss but recoup the cost and turn a profit through subsriptions.  $400 in 2017 could probably get you a pretty fabulous piece of hardware.  An amazing piece of hardware is far more likely to lure in new buyers than free online.

Further, while I once hated paid online, after subscribing to Gold with my new One at Christmas, I've practically filled my hard drive with content at super cheap prices.  Games like Fifa, Titanfall and others selling for half price or sometiems like $8 for fairly new, AAA content.  And lots of indie games for free.

If Nintendo offered full access to old games and discounts on the newish stuff it could actually be a cool experience.  I can imagine sitting down with my NX, clicking a Mario icon through a slick new interface and deciding to play SMB3 or M64 or any other classic title I'm in the mood for.

And damage some of the biggest Nintendo franchises? Do you think people that just get Nintendo systems for Pokemon, for Smash, for Mario Kart... are going to keep buying them if they had to pay for the multiplayer? That is a significant number of consoles and games sold, and Nintendo wouldn't want to lose on them. Hell, Nintendo is trying to fix their image on the online multiplayer front with games like Splatoon, paying for the online would ruin it further. Also, Nintendo could use that to diferenciate themselves on that area, specially if they get most of the multiplats.

The subscription system may have been accepted, but competition in the market needs competition. Without it we get used to lose features, that is the problem.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

They won't.