By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: games nowadays look so realistic that they all look the same

mountaindewslave said:
estebxx said:
im pretty fucking sure that Uncharted doesnt look the same as Bloodborne which in turn doesnt look even close to Horizon which at the same time doesnt resemble Halo in any way, and none of those look like Hitman, which doesnt look the same as The Witcher 3, which looks different than FFXV... and so on and on...

but sure lets shit on realistic games by saying they all look the same :/ (im sure there is no sort of artistic design in those games...)

neither Bloodborne or Halo are really aiming for insanely close to reality graphics (one is with monsters, the other with space/future). I think Miyamoto is more addressing the Far Cry's and Assassin's Creeds and Crysis games that you see all over the place that obviously primarily are aiming to look closer to reality

those games may have fiction in them but they ARE trying to look as close to reality as they can, none of those games is trying to look cartonish or cel shaded, they are trying to look real dark and gritty, they are just set in fictional worlds.

and what miyamoto said is:

“A lot of games nowadays look so realistic that they all look the same,”

and in that definition you can put ALL the games that are trying to achieve realistic graphics (Not just the games you mentioned), you may think he only meant it for the games you listed but at the end of the day that is just YOURE assumption, and you have no way of proving that, what we do know for a FACT is the statement that he gave us, and in the way he phrased it you can put in any sort of game that is trying to have realistic graphics.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:

THE STATE OF THE INDUSTRY 2015

Two screens from The Order 1886. Why?

For the lulz

Even graphically impressive games have an artstyle, crafted using different tools, run in different engines, etc... I can tell the difference.

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One

I agree to some extent, but, I recently wrote this post:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7361930

This seems to be changing somewhat. The realism in modern games is not only down to showcasing tech; it is also about design trends and these appear to be either changing or at the very least branching out. And that's a good thing.

The amount of gritty military shooters, for instance, was insane for some time, there was one year where they released 5-6 games that I literally could not tell apart in single player mode.

miyamoto jealous of a bunch of no-talent hacks? i don't think so.

Around the Network
beeje13 said:
Even graphically impressive games have an artstyle, crafted using different tools, run in different engines, etc... I can tell the difference.

I can tell the difference between my twin cousins.  That doesn't mean they don't look similar...

estebxx said:
mountaindewslave said:
estebxx said:
im pretty fucking sure that Uncharted doesnt look the same as Bloodborne which in turn doesnt look even close to Horizon which at the same time doesnt resemble Halo in any way, and none of those look like Hitman, which doesnt look the same as The Witcher 3, which looks different than FFXV... and so on and on...

but sure lets shit on realistic games by saying they all look the same :/ (im sure there is no sort of artistic design in those games...)

neither Bloodborne or Halo are really aiming for insanely close to reality graphics (one is with monsters, the other with space/future). I think Miyamoto is more addressing the Far Cry's and Assassin's Creeds and Crysis games that you see all over the place that obviously primarily are aiming to look closer to reality

those games may have fiction in them but they ARE trying to look as close to reality as they can, none of those games is trying to look cartonish or cel shaded, they are trying to look real dark and gritty, they are just set in fictional worlds, if you look at the character faces, the world, the clothing, the textures etc. its very clear that they are trying to look as real as possible

The fact of the matter is, that only specific genre/style games look the same. It's the same within nintendo. Certain mario games tend to look the same.
Football games looks the same, racing sims look the same, kart racers look the same, certain fighting games look the same.
COD is going to look like a lot of other games because a lot of other games are trying to capitalize on the COD forumla. This doesn't mean ALL developers are doing the same thing.

This is where MIyamoto's argument really flops because it's just the nature of the beast that some styles are going to look similar. Like someone else said, would you get mad at the artist of a highschool manga for having artwork similar to another? Would you look at corn-flake type cereal and complain that cereals look the same by comparing frosted flakes, wheaties, and corn flakes, among others?

Miyamoto should be more worried about the throngs of upcoming indie developers taking notes from Nintendo and having a more nintendo like artstyle, or completely besting them at their own genres (like metroid).

Success breeds imitation.

Usually, when a dev says, "A lot of games nowadays look so realistic that they all look the same." it really means that their game is either 1) Cartoony or 2) low graphics.

I get what he's trying to say, and he has a point, but for the most part he is wrong.

Realistic games don't look the same, and many of you have already post examples of that, and just because a game is made to look cartoony doesn't mean that it will be different and stand out from the rest. Besides, people that complained about the game didn't do it because of the art style but because the game simply doesn't look up to the usual Nintendo standarts.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

ohh i fully agree.