By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: games nowadays look so realistic that they all look the same

KLAMarine said:

Why are people bringing up certain specific games when Miyamoto didn't? All he said in the link provided was “A lot of games nowadays look so realistic that they all look the same”? I see people then bringing up SPECIFIC games as though Miyamoto were referring to those. He was not so why are users doing it here?

I don't really see extrapolation. I see people not agreeing with Miyamoto's statement using examples.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:

Why are people bringing up certain specific games when Miyamoto didn't? All he said in the link provided was “A lot of games nowadays look so realistic that they all look the same”? I see people then bringing up SPECIFIC games as though Miyamoto were referring to those. He was not so why are users doing it here?

It makes me want to pull my hair out how users are extrapolating what Miyamoto said.

I agree with you, he wasn't specific... he generalized by all games looking the same.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Whatever Shiggy.

Colourful games look the same too, unless they are detailed like Kid Icarus Uprising or Anime.

But still the same.

KLAMarine said:
Are people here just looking for something to argue about?

What else is the internet for?

Life before internet. :/

JRPGfan said:
Volterra_90 said:
FentonCrackshell said:
Lol @ this guy. Salty as he is. It's like he's saying every game that has people looking like people all look the same because they made people look realistic. How can anyone agree with this nonsense?

Because, obviously, when you try to do a realistic game, and you do it as realistic as possible, it's obvious that they all tend too look the same XDDDD. If you're aiming to do a realistic game, "reality" looks the same to all of us. Okey, I'm very bad explaining things, but I think you get the point. Just look at the Ubi conference if you wanna know what he's talking about. Boring as hell. 

By the way, I'm more concerned about the painfully need to put a gun, sword and similars in characters hands. It's like there are not other ways to play games without killing someone/something. I'm not talking about violence here, I don't care about that, I'm saying the gameplay tends to be the same too. Shoot, cover, kill, cover, shoot, kill. Jesus. 

The irony... you realise Starfox is all about shoot/barel roll/shoot and kill, right?

It is, but there aren't a lot of arcade shoot'em up games with a cartoonish look made by major publishers, are they? There are tons of genres, art styles, gameplay out there. And I'm not critizicing realistic violent shooter games. But the industry is overloaded by them (I'm only talking about major publishers). I think that's obvious... 

Around the Network
Wright said:
KLAMarine said:

I don't really see extrapolation. I see people not agreeing with Miyamoto's statement using examples.

And do we know Miyamoto's opinion on these given examples? Did he even allude to any of them? He didn't but people are piling on what he said and then wailing on the man for one sentence.

DonFerrari said:

I agree with you, he wasn't specific... he generalized by all games looking the same.

He never said 'all', he said 'many' which itself is a vague term. Or rather, he said 'a lot'.

green_sky said:

What else is the internet for?

I'd like to think for productive discussion.

So he criticizes today's games with the factor Nintendo games are the least good at? Nice try to cast a little shade.
Honestly I hate when renowned names in the industry such as him and Reggie start talking crap just to try giving Nintendo a "cooler" image. I think it causes more harm than good to the company and to their own image.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

Some people like ponies, some don't. Some people like cartoony graphics, some don't, Some people like realistic graphics, some don't. We were all blessed with different tastes by a loving ioi, don't be so bitter and open your eyes. Sure military shooters will look the same but luckily there's ton of other genre to be play with realistic graphics and art style for example, Far cry 4, shadow of mordor, destiny, metal gear solid 5, the division, fall out 4, and ton of others. Stop generalizing and open your minds or Nintendo will fail again.

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

97alexk said:

well the article was not found, but i can say i mostly agree with miyamoto, he created metroid, zelda , mario and much more wich are all different, and all have different art style. So he has variety. realistic looking games are ofc not bad, most of them are really good games, but it can get stale

Actually most of Nintendo games look the same.The only thing that separates them are the characters and world concepts.Zelda resembles Mario and than you have DK and Kirby. Only Unreal Engine games look a like,but Batman stands out easily.The Witcher looks nothing like Mad max,Shadow of Mordor or Batman.All by the same publisher as an example.

KLAMarine said:

And do we know Miyamoto's opinion on these given examples? Did he even allude to any of them? He didn't but people are piling on what he said and then wailing on the man for one sentence.

No; we know Miyamoto's generalization over all realistic games nowadays. Which equals to take every single game that aims for realism and throw it into the same place.