By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How should we look at the backward compatible games?

Since the news of backward compatibility (emulation?) with 360, a lot of the discussion has circled around the quality of the BC. But how should these games be counted? Many of them (like Perfect Dark, Kameo and many more) are exclusive to 360. Should they therefore be added as XBox exclusive for the one aswell?

Could it be that X1 all of a sudden has a bunch of exclusive games that we haven´t counted before? Should MS create a market place for it on X1 so that people who never owned a 360 can buy in on this treasure of games from MS?

Around the Network

All 360 games are technically part of the Xbox One library. But they shouldn't be counted as Xbox One games

Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!

Ka-pi96 said:
Should they count as exclusives for Xbox One? Have games playable with backwards compatibility been counted as exclusive for any other console that has ever had backwards compatibility? No, so why should this time be any different?

At the same time Perfect Dark has received a Clear visual upgrade although not on the same level as, say TLoU. As far as I can tell, the games are reprogrammed by MS themselves, I cannot put the original game in the tray and play from the disc, so it does not seem to be actual BC.

Ka-pi96 said:
Should they count as exclusives for Xbox One? Have games playable with backwards compatibility been counted as exclusive for any other console that has ever had backwards compatibility? No, so why should this time be any different?

Pretty much. Do we count every Wii title as a part of the Wii U exclusive library? Can we counte every PS1 and PS2 game as a part of the PS3 fat exclusive library? Heck, maybe we should count the PS3 exclusive games on PSNow as PS3 exclusives too?

Look at them as Xbox 360 games. We never counted BC games in the past. Why should we start now?

Around the Network

Backwards compatable games have never been counted as exclusives for the next console, no reason to start now.  

Thats a silly question -- other than you trying to justify your favorite console.

Xbox fans attack anything thats cross gen and refuse to consider it an exclusive; this includes Cross-Buy. If you want to pull this spin, then you need to go back into that thread you were arguing in OP and agree that Sony has more strong and more expansive BC currently than Microsoft.

sabvre42 said:
Thats a silly question -- other than you trying to justify your favorite console.

Xbox fans attack anything thats cross gen and refuse to consider it an exclusive; this includes Cross-Buy. If you want to pull this spin, then you need to go back into that thread you were arguing in OP and agree that Sony has more strong and more expansive BC currently than Microsoft.

But where do you draw the line? Personally I don't care if a game is exclusive or not as long as it is good. It is good with some exclusives though as it strengthens the brand and commitment. But if MS emulates a game and calls it backwards compatibility while Sony remakes a game with higher definition: Why is one to be counted but not the other? Is Halo 3 in MCC a backwards compatible game or is it an exclusive?

It seems to me that it all comes down to silly branding: If MS would have announced that they will work to remake all 360 games for X1, what would the discussion be then?

Wherein lies the difference in emulation and remaking a game?

Near the end of last gen my Xbox 360 broke and I bought a PS3 because I was angry and also to try some of the exclusives I missed. The only one I actually played a lot was Demon Souls, everything else didn't resonate at all with me. I always regretted not buying another Xbox 360 instead and I look at this as another chance. I get to play Alan Wake and a few other games that were in my backlog.

I don't think this should be looked at as a matter of 360 losing exclusives and instead looked at as another way to get to play a lot of really fantastic games. I just wish they could get it to the point where they could maybe add better anti-aliasing, resolution, etc to make the games look even better than they originally did.

Looking at the amount of cheap indie PC ports people here have been throwing around in list wars as "PS4 exclusives", I have no qualms with including gems like Mass Effect 1 and Toy Soldiers as Xbone exclusives.

I joked about list wars dying when MS announced BC but it all depends on whether one side wants to answer pettiness with more pettiness.