By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Didn't Sony Win E3 Hands down?

E3 is pretty much over. Loads of games have been announced including various new IP's and the internet was ablaze with "Who Won E3" comments.

Now most agree that Sony won E3 yet surprisingly a sizeable amount of people believe the Microsoft in fact won E3. What I'm trying to answer in this thread is why? Why do such a significant amount of people believe Microsoft won E3 and that Sony's showing at E3 wasn't strong enough. ( Source for paragraph:  http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=204393 and the surprising majority of people on YouTube who claim Microsoft won hands down )

On paper and talking objectively Sony's press conference was a legendary one. The Last Guardian was percieved to be only a mith but it was finally revealed ounce again at Sony's E3 this year. Shenmue 3 was ounce again a mith which was also announced at E3 and finally Final Fantasy VII was a game which brought many to tears when it was announced at this years Sony E3 conference. Not to mention gameplay footage of Uncharted 4, Horizon, No man's sky and many others.

On the other hand Microsoft showed Backwards compatibility for their Xbox One console, Gameplay footage for Gears of war 4, Halo 5, Forza 6 and Tomb Raider and numerous other games and indie games which look pretty darn good.

Objectively speaking it's a no brianer that Sony should be the one to win E3 but unfortunately what's written on paper doesn't always translate well on screen.

Comparing Sony's E3 conference to Microsoft's E3 conference one can clearly see that Microsoft's conference was presented in a much better way.

The Pacing:

Sony's conference oddly enough had a very weird pacing with their heavy-hitters being all grouped together and presented in a very odd manner. It was presented in such a way that legendry games like Shenmue 3 and The Last Guardian were almost made to feel as if their unimportant. Meanwhile Microsoft's press conference had a much better pace. A heavy hitter in the beginning and a heavy hitter at the end with a very good middle all made for a pretty good show to watch and much better than Sony's show.

Missed Opportunities:

You don't just announce a widely wanted game, like it's your average game announcement. For these types of games you need a gimmick and a good one at that. Microsoft had a pretty good gimmick when announcing Forza 6 by lowering down that sweet looking car ( and showing the history of the ford line of racing cars ) on the other hand Sony had none. Absoloutly nothing therefore making special announcements feel unspecial. It's like Gaben announcing Half Life 3 by saying " Hey Half Life 3 is coming out in 2016" sure that would send fans in a frenzy but it's nowhere near like unveiling Half Life 3 by bringing up a fake toxic substance on stage and saying that it has a Half Life of three years and then quickly showing some sweet Half Life 3 footage.

The Loopholes:

Probably the biggest disappointment in Sony's press conference, the fact that two of the three heavy-hitters all have a loophole to them. One is coming to PC and required kickstarter funding while the other is only a timed exclusive. Meanwhile Microsoft showed very few games ( and the game's shown were no where near as big as the two games mentioned above ) which had any sort of Loopholes.

Of course everyone has his own opinions and to some even Nintendo won this E3 but looking at it objectively Sony should have won this E3 but as it seems ( From reactions and so on ) it's not a clear winner, and I think that Sony's own press conference may be at fault here. 

What are your thoughts. Was Sony's press conference so sub-par to that of Microsoft's that it could have actually cost them an E3 "win"?

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network

There is no way to measure it correctly so we just have to wait which E3 had more impact on console sales. That might determine subjectively which E3 was better by the masses. For me both had good E3 but MS one was predictable and lacked a bit of WOW factor. I'll go with Sony in this one. Also when you see some MS fans giving sony the edge, you know Sony did bring a good E3.

Obviously some people are going to value gears and halo over the last guardian and shenmu ( I know I certainly do). So it really comes down to personal taste. I think Sony won by the grace of ff7 alone, if it wasn't for that I would say Microsoft won pretty easily...

They did
And lowering a car or any other such gimmick is the kind of stuff that makes me stop watching a conference, like that just dance moment at Ubisoft.

There's no such thing as universal consensus for things left to the realm of opinions.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network

It just comes down to tastes for the most part I suspect. If I am a huge Gears or Halo fan then those titles that feature prominently in MS's show are going to have a huge impact. Since I am not they mean very little. I did still, however, think Microsoft put on a really good show. I just thought Sony's was much stronger for me personally. I can see the argument that some feel Microsoft had the better outing. Again, if you are a fan of their properties it is going to hold a lot more weight.

Yes, pretty much what you said. Pacing, wasted time, missed opportunities, not so entertaining hosts, etc. lessened the Sony impact on me. And on everyone, even if they don't admit... cause Sony just showed the 3 big surprises on the first half of the show and after that no one gave a fuck about what they announced (some people overlooked Media Molecule's anticipated game or the amazing Uncharted 4 trailer).

I really think the pacing was the biggest issue. They should've saved one of the 3 big surprises for the end. Imagine the impact to end the conference with the FFVII Re trailer? It was a thrilling trailer by itself, I think it would be a perfect fit and would've made people crazy at the end.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

It just depends on what you like, really. To me, they were about equal.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

The pacing was a bit weird at points, I'll agree. I don't think sony should have closed with uncharted 4. The reason being that it didn't really surprise us. Yep, we saw uncharted, and surprise, it looks like it will get game of the year in 2016. But that's exactly what people were expecting.
What I'll completely disagree with was the missed opportunities section. I've rarely heard someone argue that more gimmicks are better. I'm personally a fan of showing off games by just announcing them. Why? Because it doesn't waste time on something I don't care about at all. While watching the MS conference, I groaned out load when I saw them lowering down the car. Why? Because it's stupid. It doesn't help sell the game at all, it's just there for no reason. Arguably just to waste time because they couldn't think of another way to fill it than by wasting a minute on a stupid car being lowered down on an elevator.

twintail said:
They did. You are just looking for excuses to say otherwise.

Ms had a good conference, but Sony's announcements had more impact and their game play was way better

I don't know something was just off when watching the press conference. Sure I was happy when Sony announced The Last Guardian and Shenmue but something just made that unveil, less important. When Shenmue 3 was announced I was like yes but than they announce the kickstarter and I was like that was jacked up. Sony still won for me but IDK something doesn't feel as big about their win.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P